Hope I've not done something silly

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

letbuyerbeware

Registered Shopper
I've just made my 1st purchase from price drop tv and during the call back i also signed up to a free trial of some savings club for which I would be charged £1.99 p and p for the welcome pack. She told me i could cancel my trial membership within 30 days otherwise i would be charged £99 membership.

She said the same card details would be used and i assumed this was a tie in with price drop tv. However the confirmation email of the order makes no mention of this promotion and I'm a bit worried.

Should i contact my bank and change my card or is this thing kosher?

Thanks

Hi LBB,

It's not good news I'm afraid. I've been caught myself and had a horrible fight to get £99 back. My best advice is cancel as soon as your first pack arrives and well within the 30 day period. There have been a couple of threads on this, the first I could find is called "Important - check your credit card statements - for "Travel Steps". This is on the Ideal World forum and page three of the thread list. Ignore anything about Amazon as that was some confusion, but there was quite a lot of it.

Argey

What I didn't realise was and it alarms me is that my bank has just told me that even if i got a new card with a new long number this would not stop a third party from debiting my account using a different number previously given to them. I can't get my head round this!

This'll be fraud related LBB. If we could do that, there would be nothing stopping us from doing a pile of shopping and then changing our card numbers. It's a sad old world but you just can't trust anyone on either side of the fence these days.

Just be sure to cancel asap on receipt and check after a couple of days that they've done it. My mistake was trusting them long enough to take the £99. I then had a long battle to get it back and even then I had to settle for a reduction for "cancellation fee" which, by that time, I was too tired to fight and happy to get away with £90 back.

Good luck. At least you've got somewhere to come and have a moan if needs be.

Argey x

I take your point as spelled out in line one but surely an item would not be despatched before funds had been debited and were in the sellers account. But hey your bang on and i'm gonna watch this like a hawk. As soon as the welcome pack arrives if i'm at all unhappy i will cancel

xx

i just refused the offer dont somefink for nofink my gran used to sayi had similar probs with mobile phone insurance a few years ago you can cancel after the free trial and nothing will be charged I did and i still was so now i say no.
I've just made my 1st purchase from price drop tv and during the call back i also signed up to a free trial of some savings club for which I would be charged £1.99 p and p for the welcome pack. She told me i could cancel my trial membership within 30 days otherwise i would be charged £99 membership.

She said the same card details would be used and i assumed this was a tie in with price drop tv. However the confirmation email of the order makes no mention of this promotion and I'm a bit worried.

Should i contact my bank and change my card or is this thing kosher?

Thanks

If you phone your bank and tell them you have lost your card they will issue a new one and they will ask what your recent purchases were do not mention this club. You will get a new card and ANYONE who tries to debit your old card number AFTER it has been stopped will NOT be able to take money from your account, I know this to be true as I bought item on easy pay from QVC and lost my card before last payment on EP, QVC phoned me and I had to give them my new number.
HTH.

Tootsie

Thanks for all replies. I rang the number for cancelling given in the welcome pack and it appeared to be a UK based call centre and I spoke to a live person who gave me a cancellation reference number . I will be watching this like a hawk.

Latest posts

Back