Fruit Trees

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

calico

Registered Shopper
I've just bought a trio of fruit trees - Braeburn Apple, Sunburst Cherry and Victoria Plum, which I've been looking at for ages but wondered if they'd be suitable in my often windswept garden. I love the idea of picking my own fruit and as they're on dwarf-stock I won't need stilts!
Hubby reckons they won't work because of the wind here, but I've bought them anyway. Fingers crossed or I'll never hear the end of it.

Oooops, thought this was a post about Farm Town. Soz!! ;)

Hope they are a success for you Calico. Home grown fruit sounds great.

I've got plum and apple trees calico and they do very well. My garden can be pretty windswept, but I have to keep uprooting little trees that keep appearing from the plums that fall. I think they're pretty hardy! The apple trees do just as well. Unfortunately I'm not a great cook (hate it!) so we pick and eat as much as we can manage but there's always a huge surplus. My neighbour's are often to be found in my garden with buckets collecting fruits which would otherwise go to waste. They make pies and jams and kindly pop one or two my way!

they were selling cherry trees a few weeks back - i saw same cherry trees in Aldi, of all places, and they were far cheaper than IW. Think they cost £3.99!!!!

they were selling cherry trees a few weeks back - i saw same cherry trees in Aldi, of all places, and they were far cheaper than IW. Think they cost £3.99!!!!

The Aldi treese grow to 45ft, abit impractical for todays smaller gardens...unlike the IW ones which only grow to 7ft.

I got an orchard pick of the day 2 years ago from IW, 1 peach, 1 bramley, 1 braeburn, 1 comice pear and 1 stella cherry - the first season I got 2 apples from the bramley. Last year I got 12 bramleys, 3 braeburns, 1 pear.
This season they are all blossoming profusely - I'm expecting to be knee deep by autumn :D

Last year it was like Wuthering heights for most of the autumn/winter here in the North west and all the trees survived happily.

The Aldi treese grow to 45ft, abit impractical for todays smaller gardens...unlike the IW ones which only grow to 7ft.

I got an orchard pick of the day 2 years ago from IW, 1 peach, 1 bramley, 1 braeburn, 1 comice pear and 1 stella cherry - the first season I got 2 apples from the bramley. Last year I got 12 bramleys, 3 braeburns, 1 pear.
This season they are all blossoming profusely - I'm expecting to be knee deep by autumn :D

Last year it was like Wuthering heights for most of the autumn/winter here in the North west and all the trees survived happily.

The Aldi tree was a Stella Cherry, this is the same tree IW were selling for £19.95 + £5.95 P & P.

The Aldi tree does not grow to 45'!

The stella tree can grow to 16' (see below) but with careful pruning you can keep it small and suitable for a small garden. If you let the IW tree grow it will grow to the same height. Just because their nurseryman says it is only a small tree, suitable for small gardens, doesn't mean he was telling the truth - he is trying to sell the things.
Careful pruning is what keeps it small.

Stella Details:
Plant Facts
Mature Height
15 - 16 feet
Soil Type
Widely Adaptable
Sun Exposure
Full Sun
Type
Standard
Characteristics
Sweet
Support Required
No
Will Produce
3 - 5 years
Pollinator Required
No
Harvest Period
Early July
Zones
4-8

Last edited:
Well, the stella cherry tree I looked at in my local Aldi said on the label that it would grow to 45ft over 10 years - I was only stating what I'd seen with my own two eyes :25:

As far as I know Ideal world trees are grafted onto dwarf rooting stock which naturally restricts the growth.

Last edited:
I've got plum and apple trees calico and they do very well. My garden can be pretty windswept, but I have to keep uprooting little trees that keep appearing from the plums that fall. I think they're pretty hardy! The apple trees do just as well. Unfortunately I'm not a great cook (hate it!) so we pick and eat as much as we can manage but there's always a huge surplus. My neighbour's are often to be found in my garden with buckets collecting fruits which would otherwise go to waste. They make pies and jams and kindly pop one or two my way!

Perthshire...now I bet that can be pretty windy lol! If they can survive up in Scotland then maybe mine will survive too. Woohoo!:1:

It said on the website you can freeze everything you don't eat but how on earth do you freeze apples?

Thanks Anna - you're all giving me a lot of hope for these little guys. I love Comice pears but I didn't get one as I wasn't sure if they'd make it in my wind-tunnel.

Well, the stella cherry tree I looked at in my local Aldi said on the label that it would grow to 45ft over 10 years - I was only stating what I'd seen with my own two eyes :25:

As far as I know Ideal world trees are grafted onto dwarf rooting stock which naturally restricts the growth.

That's exactly what the grower said Anna. He said they sell the same trees to commercial growers as they stay small and are easier to harvest. Me not want Giant Redwoods in the garden!

Latest posts

Back