Are GemsTV going bust?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bling Hunter

Registered Shopper
I am wondering if GemsTV are in trouble, have noticed there is no longer a banner above the Rocks and Co one, they are no longer on freeview, hours cut back on GemsTV 2 and selling more and more things that are not Gems.

I think it is such a shame that a once great channel has lost its way.

I never understood why they had the three channels on satellite, unless they were doing a Tesco (taking space so that competition couldn't).

I've no idea if they are in trouble or not, but jewellery must be one of the hardest hit businesses during recession. For anyone being careful, this will be one of the last items on the list, and may be the reason why they have diversified.

Argey x

A couple of weeks ago, I sent back a couple of high value returns to Gems, and the next night I had a dream that they had gone bust before I got my money back!

Fortunately, that didn't happen...

I've no idea if they are in trouble or not, but jewellery must be one of the hardest hit businesses during recession. For anyone being careful, this will be one of the last items on the list, and may be the reason why they have diversified.

Argey x

That makes sense. I would imagine there's some belt-tightening going on at Gems, but a little while ago rumours were flying around about TJC, yet they're still here.

There are so many channels out there now - let's hope they have a price war!

I am wondering if GemsTV are in trouble, have noticed there is no longer a banner above the Rocks and Co one, they are no longer on freeview, hours cut back on GemsTV 2 and selling more and more things that are not Gems.

I think it is such a shame that a once great channel has lost its way.

I do hope not!! :52: But what I am wondering about is that you have started 13 (negative) threads on the

jewellery shopping channels in only 24 posts...to date! :33:

There are so many channels out there now - let's hope they have a price war!

That's what I was hoping for but, in my opinion (as the jewellery presenters are so fond of saying when covering their, frankly, worthless statements), there is more likely to be price fixing going on. It seems to me Rocks & Co, TJC and Gems TV have no appetite for under-cutting their competitors with dramatic price-cuts...mores the pity.

I know that a quite a few months back, that on the web it was stating that gems America was cutting back on none essential staff then they seem to lose Emma,caroline,ali,craig,steve,derek and ruth apologises to any i have missed and it is such a shame i have bought some wonderful jewellry from them and would again if their quality wasnt so crap

For anyone who understands these things (which I don't!) financial information about Gems can be found here

Looking at their financials, May has been a fairly good month for them.

I doubt very much if they're going bust. Realigning their business, cutting back on costly airtime etc., which would be more than sensible in this economic climate.

Share Prices

They still have some money in the bank but the share prices are in the toilet. we shall see.......last bought from them in November 2007. Speaks volumes to me (apart from me being tighter than a ducks bum)! :1:

In the last 6 years, i have seen shopping channels come, and shopping channels go; but Gems tv have been consistant, they now have 3 channels across the board. I think that the bosses are sticking their toes into the water to see what we the buyers are actually prepared to buy. I think that once the current financial situation that we have has gone, it will be all back to normal as such, and Iron Fairies,Handbags and be-jewelled biros will fade into the background, i think maybe at the moment gems are cutting the suit according to the cloth (if i have got that saying correct) i dont see why they are going bust, they may be a little out of salts and lost their pazzaz, i think this will be temporary, whilst they all find their feet; but there will always be new customers, and at some point in time, even i will more than likely go and buy more jewellery; for me at the moment, i had a bad experience with 2 rings, i also had a bad experience once with an egg that had gone off - i was off eggs for a few months, then back to normal, as long as it is Scotty on! lol:13: personally, i do not think gems tv are going bust.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back