Hurrah for Derek!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

M

Meeshoo

Guest Shopper
For once, I've heard a presenter speaking knowledgably about Emeralds! Thank you Derek! :7: :59:

Normally you hear presenters (especially the idiotic Queen of Sparkle) saying how you MUST see inclusions in Emeralds otherwise they're not really Emeralds which makes my blood boil :mad:

Today Derek said that the finest Emeralds are clean, and whilst it's nice to see inclusions because it confirms that an Emerald is real (as opposed to synthetic) he was clear that having a cloudy shite Emerald was not good!

He then went on to explain how Zambian Emeralds can be too dark and the material is less desirable (on the whole) to the bright Colombian Emerald.

Thank you Derek for being the very first presenter I've heard give good, informative information. I know Derek's Dad was a gemologist (or something along those lines) so he's obviously picked up a wealth of info along the way. He's just joked that he read up on Emeralds this morning and that Wikipedia told him all he knew ............. pinnochio Derek!!!

I do like Derek and find him very easy to listen to, he is very informative but has a very funny side which makes him great to watch.

I'm biased with Derek as he is from my town, Dunfermline. Have to say he is easy to listen to and one of the more entertaining presenters. Did you know he is the creator of the music that is played on TJC? I can't remember where I heard that but I'm fairly sure it's correct as he studied music.

He also said they are ColOmbian emeralds not ColUmbian emeralds. Hurrah.

I missed that, but it sounds almost too good to be true. In their promo on ST for the emerald evening it was even written as ColUmbian, makes my blood boil. Good for Derek, at last somebody on the ball!

For once, I've heard a presenter speaking knowledgably about Emeralds! Thank you Derek! :7: :59:

Normally you hear presenters (especially the idiotic Queen of Sparkle) saying how you MUST see inclusions in Emeralds otherwise they're not really Emeralds which makes my blood boil :mad:

Today Derek said that the finest Emeralds are clean, and whilst it's nice to see inclusions because it confirms that an Emerald is real (as opposed to synthetic) he was clear that having a cloudy shite Emerald was not good!

He then went on to explain how Zambian Emeralds can be too dark and the material is less desirable (on the whole) to the bright Colombian Emerald.

Thank you Derek for being the very first presenter I've heard give good, informative information. I know Derek's Dad was a gemologist (or something along those lines) so he's obviously picked up a wealth of info along the way. He's just joked that he read up on Emeralds this morning and that Wikipedia told him all he knew ............. pinnochio Derek!!!

I was getting ready to go out this morning and had TJC on in the background. Derek really made me smile when he said "we only sell items that we physically have in stock unlike other places"!! Looks like either he reads this forum or word travels fast! Wonder who he could possibly be referring to??!!

I'm biased with Derek as he is from my town, Dunfermline. Have to say he is easy to listen to and one of the more entertaining presenters. Did you know he is the creator of the music that is played on TJC? I can't remember where I heard that but I'm fairly sure it's correct as he studied music.

Huggles! Guess where I live? I'm not from here originally but have lived here for around 14 years. Obviously all the nicest folk have a link to Dunfermline eh? Mind you they say you need a lang spoon tae sup wi a Fifer!!!:Happy1:

About twelve months ago I posted on this forum that the best emeralds were those which had no inclusions and were the finest colour.

I was shouted down by several who said that emeralds must have inclusions to be good.

Glad to see there are those who know the truth.

I like Derek, one of their best presenters i think. He's great fun, love his humour, but 99% of the time he knows his stuff and tells it how it is. Big thumbs up for Derek from me.

I like Derek, one of their best presenters i think. He's great fun, love his humour, but 99% of the time he knows his stuff and tells it how it is. Big thumbs up for Derek from me.
I couldn't agee more,matey........Derek is ace.......I love it when he throws a mini strop,or when he shouts at people to press #,cracks me up he does!:D

About twelve months ago I posted on this forum that the best emeralds were those which had no inclusions and were the finest colour.

I was shouted down by several who said that emeralds must have inclusions to be good.

Glad to see there are those who know the truth.

You certainly wouldn't have been shouted down by me! One of my biggest bug bears is this. I've even had to resort to posting pics of one of my Emeralds to prove the point!!!!!

I couldn't agee more,matey........Derek is ace.......I love it when he throws a mini strop,or when he shouts at people to press #,cracks me up he does!:D

I was watching on a day off a couple of months ago and every time he shouted "#" one of my dogs jumped up and started barking! I emailed in, tongue in cheek, asking them to tell Derek to stop shouting as he was scaring my dogs!! He mentioned it and spoke in a quiet voice for the rest of his stint! It was really funny and he obviously has a good sense of humour.

Well his knowledge certainly hasn't rubbed off on Liz Fuller :rolleyes: in this hour she's been banging on about of jardin and she actually said 'you don't want to be buying emeralds that are clear' :YIKES: Stupid bint. :pPC:

I was watching on a day off a couple of months ago and every time he shouted "#" one of my dogs jumped up and started barking! I emailed in, tongue in cheek, asking them to tell Derek to stop shouting as he was scaring my dogs!! He mentioned it and spoke in a quiet voice for the rest of his stint! It was really funny and he obviously has a good sense of humour.

I remember e-mailing the studio ages ago about something i'd bought and wanted to know if something matching was coming up. Also Derek had been waffling about football and i said cheekily could we have a bit less football talk...i also said it was great "waking up with Derek" as he was on an early slot. He replied on air and made some comment about "it was nice for me too" and was rather cheeky in his fun way. I was laughing my head off but he was at pains to apologise in case he had offfended! Really fun guy our del boy!

I absolutely love Derek. He's great fun and, as Meeshoo pointed out by starting this thread, he doesn't tend to pile on the BS higher & deeper.

I'm not sure which of the presenters is Derek, but he must be lonely.

I very rarely watch the Jewellery Channel, but thought I'd give it a go today. I lasted for ten minutes having heard "with emeralds, the more inclusions the better", and regarding fire opal ".............. from when they were formed in volcanic times" (?)

This rubbish is totally unwatchable. They'd be better off simply showing us pieces and giving only the necessary information. What's wrong with a few seconds of silence if you've run out of truth/knowledgeable points. Why are all the channels obsessed with this non stop gibberish, it's not radio, some silence is okay. Perhaps they think if they overload our ears, our eyes will stop working?

Argey xx

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post! I think Derek is brilliant. A few weeks ago he was doing impersonations of female presenters 'on another channel', pretending to pass out in astonishment every time the price dropped! So funny. (Can't imagine what channel that could be but I can guess it starts with 'R' and ends in 'co'.)

I think it says on the tjc website that he wrote their background music - obviously a man of many talents! Loved the story about the dogs barking when he shouted 'hash'!

Arge - I'm not sure if Derek still does this but he used to spend the whole hour he was on (sometimes longer) getting in as many song titles as he could into his presentations. Whilst it was sometimes a bit on the annoying side, you had to admire how many he could do (without it being too obvious)!

He's actually an accomplished composer and wrote TJC music (shoot him for that if you want)! I've just tried to find his website (which is quite good) but found this one instead - Derek, you've improved with age!!!

http://www.mybedroomstudio.com/profile/derekgibbons

http://www.derekgibbons.com/

Thanks Meesh, I'll try from time to time to see if he's on. When I catch him I'll give him a go. The one I saw today was Vicki Burton - (had a look at the presenters page).

xxx

Hi Rubyrose and welcome - I'd have loved to have seen the impersonations. Made me smile just thinking about it.

Argey x

Latest posts

Back