Morganite earrings ( 727 263)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Cheyenne

Registered Shopper
Hello everybody!

New poster here and I've enjoyed reading your threads and comments immensely. Ive bought quite a lot of jewellery from QVC in the past but only recently from R&C.

I'm still learning about gemstones so forgive my ignorance here: Are all the gems in this channel 100% natural (if that's the word) or are some "created"? All mine so far have been remarkably clear of inclusions - is that normal for a stone that's, after all, been created by nature? I know a lot of gems are treated so does explain their clarity?

Moving on, does anyone agree that the studio lighting is sometimes a bit misleading? I bought a pair of whopping 7ct morganite earrings in white gold and, although very pleased with the colour of the gem, thought the gold was rather dark - not nearly as reflective as the lighting suggests. I'm having them reset as the setting looks rather grey in my ears. I'd love the white gold settings to sparkle a bit more. I bought a kunzite pendant that has gorgeous colour but the diamond setting bale is quite dark, almost like stainless steel. I've cleaned the gold, so I know it's not down to being dirty. It's such a shame because the diamonds would sparkle more if the gold were a bit "whiter".

So far I've enjoyed watching the presentations and I now own some gems I'd never even heard of before - it's a real voyage of discovery; just a few things on my wish list - highly polished white gold settings being one!

Comments please!

Cheyenne :)

Hi Cheyenne and Welcome first and foremost :D I believe that all R&C gems are "real gems" and not created, but i know from posters on the forums that some have been treated (heat, irradiation etc). With regards to the lighting i belive R&C's and other channels lighting can be deceptive- to make the colour look better etc, nothing wrong there really, but they know the best colours and lighting to use, as a regular "TV jewellery buyer" you tend to take that into account after a while. Some gemtones look paler on the screen, some look better on screen than when you get them home.

Personally i prefer my Morganite in Yellow or Rose gold settings...i think white gold washes the colour out slightly, but then again we are all individuals and like different things :)

Once again, Hi and Welcome to the boards:)

Hi Cheyenne, and welcome to the Forum!

I have bought a lot from Rocks & Co. All the gems come from nature - none are created - but quite a lot of them are treated (for example by heating, irradiation or other processes). If you click on "gemstone enhancements and care" at the bottom of the Rocks & Co website homepage, you'll see a list of all the treatments that they use for each gemstone. As you'll see, it says that morganite is commonly heated or irradiated to remove yellow overtones - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I should think that is pretty usual with morganite in general.

I've never noticed about the white gold being "grey" - I think it's rhodium plated, which most white gold is; I didn't know the colour could vary...

Also the settings are rather basic and annoyingly, the posts are positioned right at the top of the setting - at least mine have with my purchases so far - making a heavy stone drag the earring right down. A post set midway for large stones imo would be so much more attractive for people with large earlobes (me) and have a lot of ground to cover!

Hi Cheyenne, welcome

I have a morganite ring in white gold from R&C. It is a very pretty shade, with very slight inclusions under the loupe. The white gold is the same shade as my other white gold, which I actually prefer to yellow, so no complaints from me on those elements, though the diamonds could always be better!

Did you send any of the pieces that you weren't happy with back? If items keep going back to them, they will have to up the quality.

welcome.gif
Cheyenne. You'll have to invest in a jewellers loupe if you're concerned about having evidence of natural gem stones. I believe there are other gadgets and gizmo's that you can use aswell but thats where my feeble knowledge ends. For the most part I have to believe the TV jewellery sellers when they say their gems are natural and we do have the 'Trade Descriptions Act' on our side to get compensation if they are proved wrong. I prefer gems that are clean with no obvious inclusions or cloudyness. Any flaws and I would send it straight back. Sometimes the presenters can be a bit economical with the truth when talking about enhancements so it's hard to tell which are enhanced and which are not. I usually just go by what attracts me the most and not worry too much about it...unless they are asking premium prices.

In my experience the Rocks & Co. gold has been no more dull or dark in colour than my other gold rings, just a lot lighter in weight.

CAJV9B92.jpg
Cheyenne

If you've read the threads you'll know by now that I'm the grumpy one!!
So, in saying that, considering the definition of "Natural" is 'as found in nature and not involving anything made or done by people' then the answer to your question could easily be no - they are not "natural" gemstones! Almost every gemstone sold by Rocks and Co has undergone some kind of treatment meaning you are not buying a gemstone which is natural. If they were "natural" they would be subject to inclusions, probably have less colour saturation, be different shades etc. However, they are not alone as all the TV Jewellery Channels sell "treated" stones although The Jewellery Channel sell much less than the other two. What I would say in Rocks and Co's favour is that they do publish the treatments on the website but I personally believe that Gems TV and Rocks should have their presenters trained to disclose and explain all treatments instead of wasting time talking nonsense! TJC always disclose "coated Topaz" and they have no problem selling Emeralds and Rubies "natural" inclusions and all. Although some of their presenters actually think they're worth more with inclusions but that's another story!!

Looking forward to seeing you post regularly and don't tell anyone but I'm not really grumpy - I just have my moments!!

Just one thing to add regarding gemstone treatments - some gemstones ARE always completely natural and untreated, and this will be mentioned in the Rocks & Co gemstone enhancements section on the website. (My absolute all-time favourite gemstone is rainbow moonstone, which so far as I know is not capable of being treated.)

Thank you all for your warm welcome and advice; I intend to post regularly and hopefully benefit from your knowledge :) .

Back to reading your threads... interesting one about the presenters: John is very risque and witty, I've noticed, whereas the young girl with long blonde hair should audition for professional cheerleading - what a live wire!

Also the settings are rather basic and annoyingly, the posts are positioned right at the top of the setting - at least mine have with my purchases so far - making a heavy stone drag the earring right down. A post set midway for large stones imo would be so much more attractive for people with large earlobes (me) and have a lot of ground to cover!
Hi, Cheyenne!
I must echo your words about mid-set posts for, especially for bigger earrings, but also for any size earring if you happen, as my best friend does, to have an elongated piercing, which can make top-post earrings look kinda messy! Solution to that problem and to heavy earrings is to have mid-set posts..... sadlly it is rare to see them. Not enough female designers, in my opinion! Such practical considerations often pass the male designers right on by!

I have very small earlobes and my ears are pierced quite low down (dunno why - that's just how they were done!), and mid-set posts are MUCH better for me, too....

I have very small earlobes and my ears are pierced quite low down (dunno why - that's just how they were done!), and mid-set posts are MUCH better for me, too....

Yes, I quite see that your case is exactly right for the mid-post argument, too. Hope someone, somewhere is listening to us!

Hi Cheyenne and a warm welcome to the forum from me too!

I just wanted to post quickly about your comments on the "greyness" of the white gold you've received. White gold is made using different concoctions of metals. Some are whiter than others, depending on the chemical composition.

Rather than having your piece re-made may I suggest that you pop into a local jeweller and ask if they can re-rhodium plate the setting? Most white gold is rhodium plated as mentioned earlier BUT there is good rhodium plating and poor rhodium plating. I would think from your description that a good hefty dose of it will certainly make it look whiter. However, white gold will never be as white or as sparkly as silver - it just isn't made that way unfortunately.

Happy bling shopping and I look forward to seeing pictures of your purchases.

Hi Everyone, I'm jumping on the new poster bandwagon here :cheeky:

Like Cheyenne I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts and am learning loads from you all.

I've only recently discovered the whole jewellery shopping channel thing and am totally hooked now! Have bought a couple of things from rocks and on the whole been pleased with them, latest item is a Cinnammon zircon bracelet, which is fab. Will try and figure out how to attach a picture so that I can share.

Agree with the thread on the presenters - John is fab and Becki is a breath of fresh air.

After reading your other threads I am now off to check out TJC to see what I am missing ....

Hi Everyone, I'm jumping on the new poster bandwagon here :cheeky:

Like Cheyenne I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts and am learning loads from you all.

I've only recently discovered the whole jewellery shopping channel thing and am totally hooked now! Have bought a couple of things from rocks and on the whole been pleased with them, latest item is a Cinnammon zircon bracelet, which is fab. Will try and figure out how to attach a picture so that I can share.

Agree with the thread on the presenters - John is fab and Becki is a breath of fresh air.

After reading your other threads I am now off to check out TJC to see what I am missing ....
Hiya Flossie

welcome2-2.png

Look forward to seeing your pic of the new Cinammon Zircon bracelet....sounds lovely.

Latest posts

Back