I got a letter from sit-up this morning. Trying to rip me off

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

£1 megadrop

Registered Shopper
:mad: I recieved a letter from sit-up today which said

We are writing regarding outstanding payments for a number of items ordered over the past months. We would like to take this opportunity to explain how this situation has occured and appologise for the inconvenience caused.

When a customer sucessfully purchases an item their credit or debit card details are sent from a secure, remote site to our bank for processing. Each night the bank processes a pay file of the days transactions and money is debited from each customer's account.

One of the security features installed within this system is to suspend an individual transaction if the bank discovers a duplicate within this pay file. This means that should the bank discover two or more orders of the same amount, from the same credit or debit card, it will charge 1 amount and suspend the remaining- putting these orders into a seperate file known as our suspense file. The suspense file is released back to the bank each day and joins the main pay file, where the same process occurs. Again, when the bank discovers multiple occurences of the same credit or debit card it will process one and suspend the remaining.

The system is set up like this to protect our customers, as it will not allow the bank to collect duplicate amounts from any accounts. An obvious problem with the system arises when customers have won items of the same value in such volume that it can take a long time for the backlog to be collected. This has happened with your account. In order to prevent further complications and avoid confusing transactions we have taken the decision to debit the outstanding amount in one transaction.

Yours sincerly
contact centre opperations- revenue protection team
sit-up channels.

so basically they want £1300 by the 31st july.

So they are saying some products from september last year have not been paid for yet i know this is not true cause the online sit-up account says funds collected and the visa shows £8.99 after £8.99. I forgot the mention the only items they have picked up on is all the £1 products ive had over the last 9 months. Funny that.

And one other thing one of the items they want payment for i never recieved. What a joke.

good grief, just challenge the items you know you have paid for and then tell them you dont want the other items and consider yourself lucky that you have saved over a £1000. - and most of that, I imagine, will be saved P&P charges, which are astronomical.

good grief, just challenge the items you know you have paid for and then tell them you dont want the other items and consider yourself lucky that you have saved over a £1000. - and most of that, I imagine, will be saved P&P charges, which are astronomical.

The probelm is though the items have been paid for and some given away as gifts last year. So i dont want to send the items back when ive paid for them.

The probelm is though the items have been paid for and some given away as gifts last year. So i dont want to send the items back when ive paid for them.

sorry but I don't understand, why would you have to send them back if you have paid for them?

I thought items were only sent out to customers after payment had been received and funds cleared - a bit remiss of the shopping channels if they do other wise.

sorry but I don't understand, why would you have to send them back if you have paid for them?

I thought items were only sent out to customers after payment had been received and funds cleared - a bit remiss of the shopping channels if they do other wise.

Thats it i checked my account regularly once an item was here to make sure they had the funds and the status says funds collected which means the transaction is complete.

So therefore if funds had not been collected then i should not have recieved the goods but i did and the money came off the visa account.

now they are saying since june last year i have not paid for 130 items which just isnt right 1 or 2 maybe but no way would 130 not be paid for yet thousands of pounds going to them over the last year.

Like i said in the original post i got an avi-8 brown dial watch which never came even though when i contacted them yes it was dispached on such a day. and at the side it said funds collected. I then got a refund for the watch and now they want payment for it again.

This is either a mistake or a deliberate attempt to get more money out of me.
I know i have paid it and will be contacting the bank for full statements from the last year so i can check and be 100% sure.

I dont think im alone in the current climate i simply dont have £1300 to give them in 2 weeks.

If this is true its truly disgusting and slightly unbelievable as Sit-Up sends nothing out without first receiving payments.
Firstly i would check this letter is genuine, then i would contact Trading Standards and check out what they are saying, and if they are legally able to retrieve moneys in this way. Work from their response what to do.

Good Luck getting things sorted.

Have you told your bank not to release any payments to Sit-up, if you haven't I would do it first thing Monday morning to stop them taking the money.
Good luck with sorting it out, it does sound very dodgy to me.

Have you told your bank not to release any payments to Sit-up, if you haven't I would do it first thing Monday morning to stop them taking the money.
Good luck with sorting it out, it does sound very dodgy to me.

Thanks for eveyones comments so far. They have requested i send a cheque to them so i cant see them taking money out of the bank.

I dont trust them as far as i could throw them after the lies i was told in june regarding my accounts. They have cleverly combined them into 1 and then barred it so i cant check if the items on this list from june have been paid for or not but i remember seeing funds collected for all items in june this year.

If your wondering why i said accounts its becuase they kept barring them for no reason and i wanted to buy things.

If it is genuine then they will have to come up with a better way of me paying them back. At the present time we are all feeling the credit crunch and i dont have £500 nevermind £1300 in 2 weeks.

I am still preparing my response to the cancellation of all the megadrops and non megadrops in june. I really have better things to do than be contacting s*it-up all the time. in the space of a month ive gone from been a real fan of the sit-up channels to finding nearly every presenter unberable to watch including peter simon which i never thought i would say.

Last edited:
Gosh that's a lot of money...do you have bank statements so you can find all the items that you have bought and prove the money has gone out?

I'm starting to think this channel is mega dodgy :mad:

Yes i totally agree the channel is mega dodgy.

Yesterday Steve started a non-stop drop on a 3ct diamond ring, there was not enough interest in it and the price was going lower and lower.

So he stopped the non-stop drop and said we can't go any lower!

I thought once you started a non-stop drop that was it, even if the price went to a quid you can't stop it??

Well i thought i would put the system to a test on monday and i managed to get 8 megadrops on monday across all the 3 channels and suprise suprise by friday morning they have taken 8x £8.99 in just 4 days. So what has happened to the system only allowing 1 a day?

This looks like a another lie.

So you dont have to go back to the first post this is what the letter said

One of the security features installed within this system is to suspend an individual transaction if the bank discovers a duplicate within this pay file. This means that should the bank discover two or more orders of the same amount, from the same credit or debit card, it will charge 1 amount and suspend the remaining- putting these orders into a seperate file known as our suspense file. The suspense file is released back to the bank each day and joins the main pay file, where the same process occurs. Again, when the bank discovers multiple occurences of the same credit or debit card it will process one and suspend the remaining.

The system is set up like this to protect our customers, as it will not allow the bank to collect duplicate amounts from any accounts.

Last edited:
Hi everyone

As you know from my earlier posts the deadline for paying the money was 31st july, however i managed to get most of the money together just in case but i phoned the number on the letter to be told by the telephone exchange that the number is no longer used. I then phoned sit-up and got through to reception who put me through to the wrong department who then linked me back to reception. She then suggested i wrote to them but here is the funny bit when i asked who she replied oh i dont know.

Ive not heard anything since but there is nothing i can do so its up to them now.

Oh My you poor thing!!
Well Im sure by law if it is there mistake you can pay them back in installments.
Its quite scary really as thet IS a LOT of money.
Good luck x

From what I can make out you have paid them and gotten your items, so there should not be a problem or am I wrong and just not read properly?

If you are still having problems you should right down the time of each phone call to them and name of every person you speak too, if you send in letters you should keep a copy of the ones you send and send them registered letter, then go to the CAB or Trading Standards, that way you have absolute proof that you are in touch with them and trying your best to get this problem sorted.

I think what Megadrop means is that the products have been sent and as far as megadrop was aware payed for, however price drop now say that they have not taken full funds for them so now she owes them money!
I think??? :confused:

Latest posts

Back