Topaz, topaz and yet more topaz!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Huggles

Registered Shopper
Any one else as fed up of all this topaz as I am? It's all the bloomin' same. I feel sorry for the presenters...they can't switch over to get away from it like I can. :D

Seems to me it's been topaz all week or is it a month:rolleyes:
So fed up with it i don't often bother to watch now, where have all the nice diamond rings and pendants they used to have gone?

I get the idea they cannot get the range of stones they used. Perhaps its the price has gone up so much or who knows. I am not even talking about the rare gems but lots of others too.

I was thinking the same this morning - far too much of the mainstream semi-precious stones - citrine, amethyst, topaz onyx etc

I don't like to say boring but it's just...... well........ boring

Seems to me it's been topaz all week or is it a month:rolleyes:
So fed up with it i don't often bother to watch now, where have all the nice diamond rings and pendants they used to have gone?

I think you'll find it's a Topaz year hun:D
I think all the lovely diamond items might have been in the product recall (see the thread), this may also explain the unusual lack of interesting Gems.

I get the idea they cannot get the range of stones they used. Perhaps its the price has gone up so much or who knows. I am not even talking about the rare gems but lots of others too.

Good point Donna. I think most of us who post on here are Gems veterans and have all the 'regulars' in our collections already. Hence an influx of topaz holds no interest for us. In order to keep us buying, Gems needs to keep the variety going, the weirder and more wonderful the better as far as I'm concerned.

I think the topaz's, quartzes et al are at the more affordable end of the market, especially when set in silver, perhaps these are add to order pieces or attracting new business for them. If people are cutting back, the more expensive pieces will be the first to be sacrifed but the odd silver piece won't break the bank.

I have to agree - I'm fed up with Topaz too. To be honest I think some of it's a bit pricey considering the likes of the Flamingo etc are actually treated white Topaz but maybe I'm wrong in thinking that - no doubt someone will put me right!

What annoys me is that I saw several rings in the New Items Thread several weeks ago which I really like but haven't (as far as I know) been on yet. One was a new stone to me - Amblygonite. Another thing I've noticed (having watched a lot more than normal when I had 2 weeks of rain while on holiday) is that the same items keep coming on and on and on......... I wonder if they have to sell out of so much before they can put on anything new?

What annoys me is that I saw several rings in the New Items Thread several weeks ago which I really like but haven't (as far as I know) been on yet. One was a new stone to me - Amblygonite.

Good spot Klos, this was picked up in the new items threads way back when the forum came back online. Has anyone seen any? Will there be a big launch? I have a piece from another channel and can report that it's very pretty but where is it on Gems? Come on Guys, gissa look!
5.gif

They did say they were having a topaz week starting about the 18th July. I'm fed up with it already. I like topaz but just feeling a bit saturated with the stuff now. I think you are right Klos about the high prices for basically treated white topaz. I have not bought any treated pieces, does it scratch or wear off? Also getting a bit miffed with all the silver specials. A lot of items are being bought in at the moment, rather than cutting out the middlemen. I suspect that is the reason for the recall, such a shame that customers are having to return pieces they really love, or items given as gifts.

As the company is having difficulty turning a profit (over stretched with Germany, Japan etc...). They are passing off US unsold or poor sellers on us as well, the 5th Avenue collection. All 14ct gold as the Americans don't buy the 9ct stuff. Gems are also considering melting down surplus and / or unsold gold items to salvage the gold, as the gold prices remain high. The price went up to an al ltime high in March but have dropped a little since. So, all in all gems are not doing fantastically and the share price is very poor. It is about 12.5 cents (Singapore dollars), I think that is about 3p a share. The last dividend paid to shareholders was 2 cents a share. The last quarterly report said they were worried about the UK operation and that it needed attention.

I would hate to see GTV go here, hopefully they will be able to turn things around. On the other hand, I won't be buying much silver. I am one of those who turn silver green and black, so I have a dirty mark when I take it off!

Unlike you, Klos, I'm lucky enough to be able to wear silver ... and buying silver is my response to the credit crunch - although I still buy yellow gold. I do like some of their silver, but even that CAN be pricey given the stones (amethyst etc) I'm also unconvinced by the Topaz specials, which do seem pretty pricey given they are fairly common, coated stones.

I think Gems, like many companies, expanded too quickly during the 'credit flush' days and is trying to just maximise profit on a quick turnaround with cheaper stones.

Personally, I think this is short-sighted, because people will pay for good quality, original jewellery, whatever the metal, but if the profit sheet is in the red and your shareholders are clamouring, I guess needs must ...

I just hope GTV manages to survive ... I always thought the rot set in when it went public in Singapore; shareholders are less likely to care what the 'company philosophy' is than the founder (come back Don K!).

BTW, where did you hear that pieces are being outsourced for manufacture? I'm not disagreeing, just curious. Interestingly, I haven't seen any 'short clip' interviews with their Thai staff for quite a while, which leads me to believe you are right.

I would hate to see GTV go here, hopefully they will be able to turn things around. On the other hand, I won't be buying much silver. I am one of those who turn silver green and black, so I have a dirty mark when I take it off!

Ballerina have you tried any of the Gems Silver rings recently? Normally it's when there's nickel in the silver that you get the green/black marks but Gems sell 925 Sterling Silver so that shouldn't happen. I have had no problems whatsoever and the Cameleon range is platinum plated over silver and for all the world looks like White Gold

Unlike you, Klos, I'm lucky enough to be able to wear silver ... and buying silver is my response to the credit crunch - although I still buy yellow gold.
Sparkle I can wear Silver from Gems TV no problem. I used to turn my nose up at white gold or silver being a "yellow gold girl" but now I have loads of silver and love it! Think you got me mixed up with Ballerina :)

Hi Sparkle & Klos,

No, to be honest I have not bought any of the Gems silver. I have a few bits from QVC which I have given up on. I clean them with the Dave Bradford cleaner, so they come back all shiny again but it is such a pain in the rear when after a few hours I have a green / black mark on my skin. I will have a bash at the Gems stuff, a cheaper piece as an experiment! I have been tempted by some of the designs, just didn't want to waste money.

I read on one of the GTV corporate pages about them buying in stock, mainly silver to keep the sales going. I also read that they are considering melting down unsold gold items to recover the gold, rather than buying more gold in at today's prices. That was about March when the gold price had peaked. It has dropped a little since March, so perhaps they will reconsider that option. It must be a bad omen for the staff in Thailand to see all their hard work being dismantled and melted down for salvage. They are also changing their workshops over there and going to a "modular" factory system. They feel that with a new system, they can reduce staff overheads (also worrying for the workers) and be more cost efficient with their production. I will see if I can find the link for you all and post it tomorrow. I agree that is was a worrying turn when all the directors changed. There is talk that DK has gone to ground. He stated personal reasons for resigning. There is an story that he is being pursued by creditors to the tune of 10 million dollars,I am not sure if that is US or Singapore. It may not even be true. I suspect that like many rumours it has some truth but may be exaggerated!

I do like GTV very much. I know that the gold is a bit bubbly, so not super quality but I am happy to buy it as the prices are not high end either and the choice of stones is so vast. It is fun to be able to wear unusual stones. I have some beautiful pieces, some have turned out to be less desirable, stones falling out or even arriving with a missing stone. I bought one Mexican fire opal which arrived without the opal. No fuss, they just sent me another and I can't fault the service they gave me. That was a couple of years ago and from reading the forum it appears that cs are not what they once were.

Well, I will get me some of that there silver and I will post a piccy and say how I get on with it. Thanks for the advice you two, I wouldn't have tried without your recommendations. :)

Thanks, Ballerina. Sorry to mix you up with KB!

Just to tempt you, here is the last silver ring I bought

http://www.gemstv.co.uk/Shop/productDataSheet.jsp?productid=124488&menuselection=2

It is actually much nicer IRL and I bought it for my goddaughter, who is nursing a broken heart but tends to perk up when given sparkly things. I paid £19 for it, so can afford to take her to lunch too!

On the subject of your 'allergy', can you not coat the back of the piece with something? I have no idea, just wondering?

And another thing!

Thanks for your very illuminating reply on the state of play with GTV Thailand. I've got to say it doesn't sound too good, does it? Very worrying for the Thai staff and for us, the customers.

I remember reading Don K kept some shares through a holding company but I suppose with the share price where it is that wouldn't be enough to meet a huge debt; if he has gone to ground, he has chosen the wrong continent to do it on ... having lived in Asia, I know he will stick out like a sore thumb anywhere there .... I also know something about Singapore and wouldn't like to try to rip off the Singaporeans! .... the whole story sounds like an up to date version of Conrad's Lord Jim!

I'd be very interested to read the link if you can find it.

Hi Sparkle,

Thanks for the link to the ring, what a pretty colour! Ideal for summertime. I am going to have a go with their silver and I'll let you know how it pans out.

Too right! If he tries to dupe the Asians, particularly in Singapore he is on to a hiding to nothing! My parents were in Singapore for 2 years and there is such importance placed on trust and honour. As you know, those who cheat out the rue the day and will have no friends in Asia! I lived in the Middle East (Saudi. Oman, Qatar & Dubai). Again, if you cross them you will have no friends! As I said, it is only a rumour and I am not sure if it is US or Sing. dollars but either way, if it is 10 million, he is in the poop. I suspect some truth as he really has gone to ground since his departure from Gems. I see that someone else has now sent the link I found about the quarterly report regarding redundancies, modular factories, buying in stock from other manufacturers etc.... it doesn't bode well for Gems as a whole. They are particularly concerned about the performance of the UK branch and so unless they can pull the rabbit out of the hat by the end of 2008, I can't see much future for them. So, fingers crossed - bejewelled sparkling fingers of course! ;)

Talk soon,

Jackie xx

BTW, I can't upload an avatar and I'm not sure why. Anybody able to help? Thanks :confused:

I see that someone else has now sent the link I found about the quarterly report regarding redundancies, modular factories, buying in stock from other manufacturers etc.... it doesn't bode well for Gems as a whole.

Hi Ballerina

I was going to post it on this thread but when I read that it was 36% of the workforce who had lost their jobs, I thought it needed a thread of it's own.

Hope that's OK with you.

Latest posts

Back