Sapphires of the rainbow

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Whilst I can't answer your query MissM, and it's not exactly a rainbow beastie I do have this little sweetie on order http://www.gemstv.co.uk/Shop/productDataSheet.jsp?productid=UHH6776&menuselection=3&colourScheme=1. Were it not for my visit from "git" resulting in frozen bank funds I might have had it today or tomoz. Ne'emind won't be long, and needless to say the lousy imaging has done it no justice whatsoever. It's a shame Gems don't/can't do anything about their imaging on the website, I'll bet they lose custom because of it. xxx

Natural unheated / untreated sapphires are expensive so I doubt very much whether you'll find them in any pieces sold by any of the channels. A giveaway to this is also the colour matching!

One other thing to bear in mind is that IF a piece is unheated/untreated, the seller will shout this from the rooftop because it commands a premium.

Unless specifically stated, you should always assume treatment with rubies and sapphires I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Whilst I can't answer your query MissM, and it's not exactly a rainbow beastie I do have this little sweetie on order http://www.gemstv.co.uk/Shop/productDataSheet.jsp?productid=UHH6776&menuselection=3&colourScheme=1. Were it not for my visit from "git" resulting in frozen bank funds I might have had it today or tomoz. Ne'emind won't be long, and needless to say the lousy imaging has done it no justice whatsoever. It's a shame Gems don't/can't do anything about their imaging on the website, I'll bet they lose custom because of it. xxx

Very pretty Arge. May it be winging its way to you soon.

Thanks Meesh. It's not my normal big lumpy stuff style, but it's one of those cheerful pieces that give you a smile. Really bright and twinkly on the box. xxx

will the various colours for mother of pearl be treated too? i have never heard of violet mother of pearl. I did know jade was dyed? and one burning question, how do you get pearls in different colours? I do like the sapphire jewellery that goes into a rainbow of colour, really bright and cheerful, i think that i was once a magpie in a former life lol :flower: xx

will the various colours for mother of pearl be treated too? i have never heard of violet mother of pearl. I did know jade was dyed? and one burning question, how do you get pearls in different colours? I do like the sapphire jewellery that goes into a rainbow of colour, really bright and cheerful, i think that i was once a magpie in a former life lol :flower: xx

Persianglitter, I'm fairly certain the violet MOP would be dyed.

Coloured pearls are sometimes but not always dyed - for example, Tahitian pearls are naturally that colour, and freshwater pearls in peach and greyish-pink (sometimes referred to as lavender, but not really lavender) are also usually natural. Pearls do also occur in other colours in nature, but generally very expensive. It all depends on the particular mollusc they come from.

Freshwater pearls dyed in different hues are also very common - I'm not sure, but I think they actually dye the water the mollusc lives in. The effect is beautiful - I love the peacock shades.

Building on what Miss M has said ..........

ALL pearls (including Tahitian) can be subject to dyeing, irradiation and enhancing the luster. Real Tahitian Pearls that are naturally black without any form of treatment are very expensive. My mantra, like with most jewellery buying is if the price is too good to be true, assume some form of treatment.

Here's some info that you may find interesting:-

There are three main pearl treatments that low quality pearls are subjected to 1) bleaching / artificially stained / dyeing, 2) irradiation, 3) luster enhancements. Dyeing includes the use of silver nitrate on the pearl, in order to darken the pearl’s nacre. Irradiation treatments use gamma rays to darken the pearls.

Akoya pearls have their nucleus darkened by the gamma rays, while freshwater pearls have their nacre darkened. Luster treatments are typically a clear coating placed on the surface of the pearl in order to artificially increase the luster of the otherwise dull looking pearl.

The use of silver nitrate has been used for many years to enhance pearls. This chemical penetrates the pearl, has a chemical reaction to either sunlight or hydrogen sulfide gas, and in turn can create a rich black colored pearl. Other colors can be created as well using this method, along with both organic and inorganic dyes. With the freshwater market came increased opportunities for pearl processors to experiment with these methods. The reduced cost of freshwater pearls created the perfect scenario for trying out new treatments. As for Akoya Pearls, they can be subjected to this process in order to create a much sought after "Rose", overtone. Almost all pearls are being treated one way or another today.

Most Tahitian Cultured pearls are not treated the notable exception are “Chocolate” colored pearls. The method is also used for Tahitian cultured pearls, where light colored pearls of a low color range are dyed black (originally, white South Sea cultured pearls from other countries may have been used for the same purpose). Artificially dyed pearls are found in a variety of sizes and shapes, and they are above all seen in large, so-called circle shapes.

Freshwater Pearls come in white and pastel colors from pink to purple all other colors should be considered dyed. In 1997, artificially dyed black Chinese freshwater cultured pearls in round shapes and sizes of up to 11 mm were offered on the market in Hong Kong. Since then, large quantities have reached the international market, where they can be purchased at reasonable to low prices. They have an astonishing resemblance to Tahitian cultured pearls, as they almost perfectly replicate the green to purple overtones and are already called “peacock pearls” in the Asian pearl trade. Several companies in Hong Kong offer the treatment and are often speaking of “laser treatment”. However, this is not true and neither is irradiation used. Although the exact method has not yet been made known, it is probably correct to assume that silver salts and other coloring agents are used.

Detecting color change treatments can be tricky. But here a few methods one can use:

1) one can examine the matching of the strand of pearls. A strand of natural colored pearls will have slight color variations between each pearl. A perfectly consistent strand of pearls can be evidence of color treatments. Perfect pearls are not natural.

2) One can peer down the drill hole of a pearl and look for contradictions of color. If one can see a darkened nucleus when peering through the hole, this could be evidence of iridescent treatments.

3) Sharp colors are another hint of an enhancement. It is common to dye poor quality Peach colored pearls “Pink”. Keep in mind that natural pearl colours are pastel and have a soft look to them. Bold sharp colors are normally enhanced.

Irradiation:

The irradiation method of treating pearls has different effects on Freshwater and Saltwater Pearls. For freshwater pearls, the nacre, rather than the nucleus (since freshwater pearls are mostly pure Nacre), is affected by the gamma rays. They in turn can become very dark black or brown from this treatment. The freshwater pearls are also known to develop a metallic sheen and/or a highly sought after iridescent orient surface from this treatment.

For Saltwater Pearls, the gamma rays have little affect on the Nacre however it has a huge affect on the nucleus of the pearl since the nucleus is source from Freshwater Mussels. The gamma rays darken the nucleus of the pearl, making saltwater pearls appear blue or gray. This color filters through the nacre to the surface to give the pearl a shimmering affect.

Luster Enhancement:

Almost all pearls are treated for luster in one way or another. Mostly they are simply polished in a polisher (vibrating drum) using salt or sand or even bamboo. This is done only for a few minutes at a time as not to damage the surface of the pearl. This process naturally brings out the deep luster and exposes any potential desirable orient. This is completed prior to stringing into hanks

The luster treatments based on coating a pearl with a clear coating is one of the undesirable processes in the pearl industry. The coating will probably appear fine at first, but over time will then end up cracking or peeling as the pearl becomes older. This will in turn leave only the dull luster appearance underneath the coating. This is something to watch out for because dishonest pearl processors and traders have fooled consumers in the past and will continue to attempt to do so.

To detect luster treatments, one can look at a pearl through a magnification of at least 50X. A natural untreated nacre surface is somewhat scaly, while a treated surface will appear smooth and man made.

p.s. On the GemsTV website, in the enhancement section, it states that all their pearls are subject to treatment. I know that Scott went on air and was at pains to say that their Tahitian pearls were untreated BUT that's not what their enhancement page says.

Last edited:
Back to the original topic of the thread... The stunning sapphires of the rainbow have actually got me watching Gems again! Is anyone else as hooked on them as I am?

Some of their designs are a great deal better than the used to be, too; but I'm noticing that most pieces are timing out, rather than selling out.

I absolutely love 'em MissM and, yes, some of the designs have been really well thought out - much better than last year's. Way beyond my pocket for any of the decent size pieces, but that doesn't stop me oggling them at every opportunity. xxxx

Just to say
Expensive, but nice!

Anyone know if they're colour treated...?
I broke a sapphire bracelet from gems and took it to the jewellery quarter. I was amazed how expensive it was to have repaired,they had to remove all stones from it as they said the stones were heat treated and would of been spoilt. If they were real coloured sapphires they would not of had to of been removed first to be repaired. Hope this makes sense, i have asked around and people have said more or less the same.

Interesting to hear that, mand, as I have a rainbow sapphire bracelet from Gems early days that needs quite a bit of work. hurrrumph!

But aren't they beautiful?!

I can't make up my mind which I want, so I have a few on order and will be sending a lot back. My credit card is creaking under the strain!

But aren't they beautiful?!

I can't make up my mind which I want, so I have a few on order and will be sending a lot back. My credit card is creaking under the strain!

These are the only times I miss my CC, I disallowed myself on the grounds that I can't be trusted. I would've invested a bit of p&p to take a look at some, but me actual debit card can't stand the strain of waiting for a refund. Ne'emind. xx

That's very strong-willed and sensible of you, Argey .... well done!
Why do I have the feeling you're not always so good at self restraint........?

Oh, gawd, wot have I said.... we'll get the handcuffs out now........ eek!

Latest posts

Back