I'm confused!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

jacqualina

Registered Shopper
Angeline is on selling something called Blueberry Quartz. The prices seem to be pretty high, but to me it looks just like amethyst and I also thought that quartz was very common and, therefore, not very valuable. Does anybody know anything about this amethyst.... I mean stone?

There was a huge kerfuffle about a year ago on the QVC board when they introduced it. If you Google it, you'll see that there is an opinion that it's not a mined gemstone and is manmade in China from glass. Others say it's part of the Quartz family (same as Amethyst as you say).

QVC I believe went on air to say it was a natural gemstone but that it had been heated or treated (can't remember which now). Gems have said on air tonight that it's mined.

I got a piece from QVC when they introduced it because I wanted to put it through it's paces. Honestly? Not my cup of tea and I certainly wouldn't pay big bucks! I'd rather have a gorgeous top class Amethyst for the colour etc. Interestingly, the Gems pieces look much more purple/pink than the QVC ones which were a blue/purple (the ones I saw anyway).

HTH

p.s. Quartz is usually cheap as chips! You pay for the faceting and goldwork typically. Having said that, a top quality Amethyst does have a value and can be worth more than you think.

from what i know which isnt much, it is a blue amethyst then heated to bring out the purley hues, i do agree thought that i saw previous blueberry quartz on antother channel and that was more of a bluey colour like a blueberry, strange that.

OMG- what if you'd paid out a lot of money and it turned out to be a piece of glass, or would you ever find out? I'd be seriously miffed if I'd paid for an appraisal or valuation and it turned out to be worthless- which glass would be. Think I'll be leaving this (gem) alone till I find out more. Certainly will be interesting to see if the prices hold.

Thanks for the info Meesh. I was really just wondering whether it was a new name for amethyst to extract top dollar.
I know what you mean about amethysts though. My mother and sister-in-law have a beautiful amethyst ring each which my father had set for them. I know the stones weren't cheap and they look absolutely luscious.

http://www.dgemg.com/gemmologen_eng_interim/akt/Blueberryquartz.pdf

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.a...e.|ukhtml|blueberry_quartz,html/walk.yah.UKJE

http://www.mindat.org/min-31682.html

http://www.nordskip.com/bluequartz.html

http://www.geohavens.com/articles.php?article_id=213

Some light reading!

If you search the web you'll see that there are references to man-made and natural. Pretty confusing but I'm assuming that the ones sold by QVC and Gems are the mined variety - I doubt very much whether Gems, in particular, would sell it otherwise.

Putting Mini Meesh to bed but will post a pic of my Amethyst that received a phenomenal valuation by Safeguard ...........

Trish - pretty sure the Gems ones aren't glass. See post above.

There was a huge kerfuffle about a year ago on the QVC board when they introduced it. If you Google it, you'll see that there is an opinion that it's not a mined gemstone and is manmade in China from glass. Others say it's part of the Quartz family (same as Amethyst as you say).

QVC I believe went on air to say it was a natural gemstone but that it had been heated or treated (can't remember which now). Gems have said on air tonight that it's mined.

I got a piece from QVC when they introduced it because I wanted to put it through it's paces. Honestly? Not my cup of tea and I certainly wouldn't pay big bucks! I'd rather have a gorgeous top class Amethyst for the colour etc. Interestingly, the Gems pieces look much more purple/pink than the QVC ones which were a blue/purple (the ones I saw anyway).

HTH

p.s. Quartz is usually cheap as chips! You pay for the faceting and goldwork typically. Having said that, a top quality Amethyst does have a value and can be worth more than you think.

Amethyst can be many different shades of purple, blueberry quartz is amethyst that is heat treated and becomes a more standard colour and quite pale. Most of the time, QVC will tell you that it is treated but they do not always tell you. It certainly is not glass but I suppose you could argue that it is a 'manufactured' product. Personally I prefer amethyst for the fact that it natural and unpredictable in colour.

Amethyst can be many different shades of purple, blueberry quartz is amethyst that is heat treated and becomes a more standard colour and quite pale. Most of the time, QVC will tell you that it is treated but they do not always tell you. It certainly is not glass but I suppose you could argue that it is a 'manufactured' product. Personally I prefer amethyst for the fact that it natural and unpredictable in colour.

The QVC page actually does state that it's enhanced. Please see above link.

There IS a blueberry quartz on the market that is glass. This is why there was a huge hoohaa a year or so ago when it was launched on QVC.

Putting Mini Meesh to bed but will post a pic of my Amethyst that received a phenomenal valuation by Safeguard ...........

Trish - pretty sure the Gems ones aren't glass. See post above.

look forward to this pic.. love amethyst.

17.37ct bought for £9.14! Set into a pendant with 2 trilliant white diamonds totalling .30ct and valued by Safeguard for £950!!!

Attachments

• Ameythst prior to setting_1_1.JPG
    Ameythst prior to setting_1_1.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 221
THAT IS gorgeous!!!!!!!!! did it have the brazil nut in the centre with sum yummy caramel!!!

Gorgeous and the trillion cut is one of my absolute favourites, it's a beauty!

OMG Meesh that stone is beautiful and such a fab cut lucky you, bet you were really pleased with your valuation

Latest posts

Back