Urgent help Colombian Emerald

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

gemcherub

Registered Shopper
I've just received my first Colombian Emerald its the first time i have seen 1 IRL so i have no idea what to look for! basically its an octagon cut and so clean i can't see any inclusions with the naked eye its a neon vivid green but it is so clear i can see straight through the gem, now i know all about windows but how does this lie with octagon cut emeralds?
I tried to take photos but only got 2 awful photos before the batteries died in my camera!
Please can you advice me at it is alot of money to me and i can't afford to get it wrong, i will ask hubby to get some more batteries on his way home so i will take some better pics later!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 311
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 294
I've no idea what to look for GC but I know Meesh will be able to help. I just wanted to say it looks absolutely beautiful to me, it appears to have an inner glow and no inclusions? Wow. :drool:
Can we see the stats for it?

Ok I'm going to be honest because I know you wouldn't expect anything less.

Good points:

- Going on what you said, clarity - I can't see from the photos well enough to comment.

Bad points:

- Has a whacking huge window. In emerald cuts (and yours is an emerald cut not an octagon because it has clipped corners), it's more difficult to disguise a window. Should it have one? No. It's been cut too shallow hence the window.

Neutral points:

- The colour is lovely BUT it's a bit too bright neon for an Emerald - it's a tad too blue. Therefore it won't be considered the top colour for an Emerald BUT it comes down to personal preference with this one. If the colour is one that you love then you need to keep it because you don't see this colour too often.

Things to consider:

- For a 1.25ct you shouldn't be paying big bucks. If you have then you should expect one without a window.

- If it's not a "one-off" can you order another, keep hold of the one you have and compare and keep the one with the best stone? It might be worth having one with slight inclusions and no window because the value and colour might be better.

- How noticeable is the window when it's on your finger?

- Could you live with the window? In a year's time will you regret not trying to find one without a window? I bought one from TJC several years ago, Emerald cut, very similar to yours, with a huge window and have always regretted keeping it! C'est la vie!

Hope that helps

Ok OH is back with batteries lol
It so hard to take pics of but here we go! goodish photos

Attachments

• colombian emerald 007.jpg
    colombian emerald 007.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 298
  • colombian emerald 029.jpg
    colombian emerald 029.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 268
  • colombian emerald 035.jpg
    colombian emerald 035.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 283
  • colombian emerald 043.jpg
    colombian emerald 043.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 281
  • colombian emerald 052.jpg
    colombian emerald 052.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 261
GC can you take a photo, straight on, looking down into the gem and then zoom in???? You can't really tell anything from your photos because of the angles.

Pics that show the window and if you look you can see the white gold backing through the stone

Attachments

• colombian emerald 015.jpg
    colombian emerald 015.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 259
  • colombian emerald 037.jpg
    colombian emerald 037.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 247
  • colombian emerald 028.jpg
    colombian emerald 028.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 267
  • colombian emerald 021.jpg
    colombian emerald 021.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 270
  • colombian emerald 014.jpg
    colombian emerald 014.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 253
GC can you take a photo, straight on, looking down into the gem and then zoom in???? You can't really tell anything from your photos because of the angles.

I tried but my camera is pants!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 251
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 241
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 261
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 235
Yes that's quite a big window. The question is: can you live with it? Will it bug you?

You can see it when it's on (sometimes windows diminish) but in picture 028 you can clearly see it. When you look at the ring, do you focus on that or the whole ring?

I was just so blown away by the colour and fire but i guess the window will drive me nuts in the end lol trouble was if i kept this other items i have bought would of had to go back as i couldn't afford both, but the other items are nearly out of time to be returned so i won't be able to afford to look for another emerald if i keep those hey ho!
Thank you for all your help it has been most helpful as ever x

I was just so blown away by the colour and fire but i guess the window will drive me nuts in the end lol trouble was if i kept this other items i have bought would of had to go back as i couldn't afford both, but the other items are nearly out of time to be returned so i won't be able to afford to look for another emerald if i keep those hey ho!
Thank you for all your help it has been most helpful as ever x

What makes you heart pop? The other items or the Emerald? If you send back the Emerald will you be sitting with arms around the post box sobbing?

What makes you heart pop? The other items or the Emerald? If you send back the Emerald will you be sitting with arms around the post box sobbing?

:giggle: that really made me laugh you seem to have me down to a tee!
I have got/had enough windowed gems to last me a life time, thing is i new it had a window but as i new nothing about emeralds i wondered if this was the norm or common! back it goes lol

GC, TJC have had some really really really stunning Emeralds just recently. One will definitely come along without a window. In fact, tbh, I haven't seen many WITH windows (how refreshing is that)?! Are you sure it's not worth asking for another - you never know, it may be a good 'un!

GC, TJC have had some really really really stunning Emeralds just recently. One will definitely come along without a window. In fact, tbh, I haven't seen many WITH windows (how refreshing is that)?! Are you sure it's not worth asking for another - you never know, it may be a good 'un!

Its the only one and i haven't the time as my gems items have to stay or go tomorrow, if they stay i haven't enough funds lol

Well, if it's the only one then you've got your answer. You've got to LOVE it and if you LIKE it but don't LOVE it, then back it goes! If you're having even the vaguest of doubts (and I assume you are by your first post) then that's an indicator of how you'll feel about it in the future.

Latest posts

Back