My latest order - opinions wanted!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Greenie

Addicted to bling
Hi all

I received this ring on Monday. It's Red Andesine, white gold & diamonds and cost £130 on a web game. I bought it (a) because I want a red ring and (b) it's the same design as one I have in London Blue Topaz which is absolutely gorgeous. I ordered a red andesine ring once before but with a much smaller round cut stone, but sent it back because it was very cloudy. The stone on this ring is lovely, very clear and the diamonds sparkle under spotlights.

The problem is that the andesine is slightly too small for the setting on one side and the top of the white gold setting shows. Either that or the stone has been set crooked but I think it's a tad too small. I guess this one must be the MTGW!

I've asked Gems TV if they have any more in stock as I would have ordered another to compare, but they say this one is the last in stock. My dilemma is whether to keep it or not. I love the stone (maybe I won't get such a clear one again?) but..... Or do you think I'm being too picky? £130 is the most I've ever spent on a Gems TV ring and it's quite a lot of money.

I would appreciate your opinions please. Keep it or send it back? And I don't mind you telling me if you think I'm too fussy!

Attachments

• Andesine.jpg
    Andesine.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 235
It's certainly a very good looking ring Greenie but the setting problem could be a worry as it might involve repair cost. Methinks Meesh is needed here. xxxxx

Back when I started buying from Gems (3 years ago?) I would have settled for it but I wouldn't now. The andesine does look very nice so it's a difficult choice but if it's bothering you now I would think it will only get worse. Sorry... :spider:

I do not think you are being too fussy at all,Greenie.As you say £130 is quite a lot of money to spend(well it is to me anyways)..........I would want it to be perfect if I was spending that much tbh,yes the stone is lovely but if you keep it you may have to think of cost to get it set properly and if you don't get it set properly the worse case scenario is that you could possibly lose the stone which would be awful!

It's certainly a very good looking ring Greenie but the setting problem could be a worry as it might involve repair cost. Methinks Meesh is needed here. xxxxx

I'm sure it's not going to fall out, it seems tight enough. It's just that bit of white gold showing through at the side. I really don't know what to do! Is andesine a bit 'hit and miss' in that it can be clear and can be cloudy?

I don't know much about it Greenie other than colour can be something of an issue. xxx

I'd send it back,I have kept items that haven't been quite right and they never get any better,you always wish you had returned them when you could. It's like men and buses,another one always comes along.

I've just been looking at my ring under a jewellers loupe and can now see what the problem is. One side of the andesine is set snug against the gold, almost touching. The other side, there's a big gap where the gem isn't wide enough to fit flush against the other side.

I even asked GemsTV if they'd give me a small discount as it wasn't right and it's the last in stock, and as it's clearance time. I would have kept it if they'd said yes but unfortunately they said no I'd have to send it back.

I will be so sorry to send it back as it is so beautiful, but I think what people have said is right and I'll always be noticing it. :sad:

I've felt so bad having to send pieces back that weren't quite right and only regretted it once. 99% of the time it's the right decision and something better invariably comes along. Try not to fret too much, it is only jewellery, not a puppy. :lol:

I think u r right to return because they have andesine on web games alot, even if not so much on the tv.

its not like u cant get another similar. The gold bit sticking out would bug me.

Greenie, I clicked on your photo before reading any of the posts and thought at once that there was gold showing to one side of the stone and the posts looked uneven..... hit me right away..... on reading the posts I saw that that was the issue..... from just a photo I couldn't be sure it was not a trick of the lightat first.... but, as you say, the stone is not well set .... you will have to fork out more money to get it sorted.

I think you're absolutely right to send it back .... I'm sure it would just annoy you more and more over time and then you wouldn't wear it and it would've been an expensive mistake.

Good luck in finding a perfect one.

S T O P!!!!

Hold on a mo before sending it back ........... can you take a few more photos please particularly:-

One straigh/head on without any angle.
One profile shot (from both of the shorter sides)

I think the gem has been set very slightly at an angle. It looks to be slight lower on the left hand side in your photo than on the right. This would cause the setting to show underneath and could easily be rectified. Your side profile shots will show if I'm right. Also, the grooves that are cut into the prongs (into which the stone is set for stability) could be slightly misaligned. This could be easily rectified if it's just that the prong has been angled incorrectly and the grooves are all at the same height.

Also, the right hand prong - in your photo - looks like it's not touching the gemstone. If that's the case then the gem has definitely tipped to the side and once you tighten up the prongs I think you'll find it'll slip into place nicely!

In all honesty without more detailed photos it's difficult to tell so get snapping so I'm guessing!

Last few things to bear in mind, laying aside the setting problems:

1. Is the colour of the andesine singing to you? If it's not the right shade, send it back. If it's the perfect colour, keep it.
2. It's about 1.5 - 2ct? The price you've paid is very competitive.
3. You love the setting - if you send it back, you won't have the opportunity of getting that gemstone in that setting again. Is that something you could live with?

Sorry one further thing. As this ring is the last in stock, email one of the GemsTV Managers with a photo of the ring and ask if they would be prepared to stand the cost of you sending it to Stanleys or Outwork for them to correct. You would need to make sure they agree to extending your money back guarantee so that the 10 days start again when the item returns from the jewellers. The cost of postage and repair should be down to GemsTV. They did this for me once (admittedly several years ago) when something, the last in stock, arrived broken.

Hi Meeshoo, here are some more pics.

1. With the ring turned the other way round on my finger.

2. Laying on a flat surface one way

3. Laying on a flat surface turned the other way (it seems to lay crooked?)

4. The short sides of the stone are held in place very snugly by the posts

5. You can see how the long sides are literally just tipping the stone.

One long side of the stone sits definitely very close to the edge of the setting. The other side has a distinct gap.

I love the colour and the stone itself. The sparklarity (my word for sparkle and clarity!) is excellent. The carat weight is 2.128 ct (you clever girly!).

Attachments

• DSC02997.JPG
    DSC02997.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC02999.JPG
    DSC02999.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC03007.JPG
    DSC03007.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC03006.JPG
    DSC03006.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC03003.JPG
    DSC03003.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Ok - thanks for posting those. The best photos are pics 2 and 5 because they clearly show the problems.

First problem is that the head of the setting is slightly skew whiff. This may be more difficult to sort out. If you look at the angles of the prongs in photo 1 you can clearly see they're not symmetrical.

Second problem is that the prong on the left (picture 5) is ever so slightly lower than the prong on the right. This will cause the gem to tilt. If you're even 1mm out, it'll cause the gem to sit incorrectly.

The second problem is easily rectifiable but you mustn't do it at your cost. I'm not so sure that they could rectify the first problem unless they completely re-do the setting (and it won't be cost effective to do so I suspect). However, just sorting out the second problem actually might give you a proper looking ring! My suggestion is that you send the very first picture you posted together with piccies 2 and 5 above to Gems and see if they'll stand the cost of repair ............ seeeeemples!

Last edited:
Hi all

I received this ring on Monday. It's Red Andesine, white gold & diamonds and cost £130 on a web game. I bought it (a) because I want a red ring and (b) it's the same design as one I have in London Blue Topaz which is absolutely gorgeous. I ordered a red andesine ring once before but with a much smaller round cut stone, but sent it back because it was very cloudy. The stone on this ring is lovely, very clear and the diamonds sparkle under spotlights.

The problem is that the andesine is slightly too small for the setting on one side and the top of the white gold setting shows. Either that or the stone has been set crooked but I think it's a tad too small. I guess this one must be the MTGW!

I've asked Gems TV if they have any more in stock as I would have ordered another to compare, but they say this one is the last in stock. My dilemma is whether to keep it or not. I love the stone (maybe I won't get such a clear one again?) but..... Or do you think I'm being too picky? £130 is the most I've ever spent on a Gems TV ring and it's quite a lot of money.

I would appreciate your opinions please. Keep it or send it back? And I don't mind you telling me if you think I'm too fussy!

firstly i am jealous that you managed to get the Andesine i tried all the games that was in their clearout and didnt manage to get 1 secondly ask to speak to a supervisor and get them to authorise it to be sent away i had problem with a stone coming loose but not out and had no luck with normal CS but the supervisor gave me a code to send it to their repairers so dont just accept it go kick ass its guaranteed for 6 months

Latest posts

Back