Kipling bags - what's the attraction?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Artemis

I'm a Kitchen Aid Maid!
Please don't all jump on me - I seriously want to know, I'm not having a go..

(Heck! I wear Kim&Co trousers, but only the black ones and not the shiny fabric)

The first Kipling bag I ever saw was being toted by my mother-in-law - a formidable lady. It was denim and had a monkey hanging from it. I'm afraid to say, I laughed...:blush:
" It's a Kipling" she said frostily, as if that explained everything, and I didn't dare take it any further. I thought about the Jungle Book and presumed that there was a choice of JB animals to dangle from strange cloth bags.
Fast forward a few years, and I saw some in a designer boutique - again, I was gobsmacked!

So what IS the attraction. To me, they look like a cheapo cloth bag with a monkey. I don't find them in the least endearing or lovely to look at and I'm sure many of you would feel the same about some of my stuff. I've always wanted to ask a "Kipling" person.....and, given their popularity on here, now's my chance!
** Hides behind the settee, knowing her Kim's won't crease, bag at the knee or pick up cat hair:tongue2:**

The attraction for me is they're lightweight (ideal for packing for holidays), washable, colourful and just make me smile. I like the fact that they have so many new colours each season - easy to update my winter work wardrobe with as well.:hi:

I understand that not everyone likes them though.

Move over...is there room for a little one behind your settee??? I "tried" to like them..but the fabric makes my skin crawl! I have ordered one becauseI love the colours...but the fabric was like nails down a chalkboard to me...it put my teeth on edge!

And.....theres an outlet village near me and the Kipling shop always smells like vomit....ewwwwww!!!!!

Having said that, I do like some of the colours but looks like I am sticking to trusty old leather bags!

Well they are like mini TARDIS for a start. Loads of room and little pockets to put things in. They are very light also, so you don't feel like you are carrying the coalmine on your shoulder. Hard wearing and you can throw them in the washing machine.

Now there are styles and designs I think are just ugly. Others love the me, its all a matter of choice and Kipling give you four or five ranges to chose what you like. New colours come out each season. I prefer the City Range rather than the Basic which many of the favourites on QVC come from.

Oh and the monkey is meant to be King Louis from the Jungle Book and goes with the name Kipling. They also donate to ape charities because of using the monkey/ape.

Search me honey. I'm immune to their charms! Ditto for Radley. :confused::confused::confused:

However I never saw the point of Lulu Guinness bags until she did a shiny purple one and my brain was going "Mmmm.... Shineeeeee.... Purple..... "

So maybe I just have yet to succumb to the lure of Kiplings????

Lol at the Kim! I'm wearing some too cos I'm s'posed to be doing me yoga. (The cat's my alibi. He sat on me and what could I do???) :D

Move over...is there room for a little one behind your settee??? I "tried" to like them..but the fabric makes my skin crawl! I have ordered one becauseI love the colours...but the fabric was like nails down a chalkboard to me...it put my teeth on edge!

And.....theres an outlet village near me and the Kipling shop always smells like vomit....ewwwwww!!!!!

Having said that, I do like some of the colours but looks like I am sticking to trusty old leather bags!

Good job I don't like them, then! I have huge issues with fabric that feels too "clothy" - only another sufferer will understand that.....:sad:

They're lightweight, indestructable, have places for everything, and the zips must be the best in the business. Not all of them can be thrown in the washing machine, but those that can come out beautifully and dry with surprising speed. You can buy a light-coloured bag without having to worry about all the marks that will show, as you do with leather. I don't think they're dress-up bags - even the fancier ones - but for sheer practicality and length of service they're hard to beat.

i dont get the monkeys , i have a couple of kipling bags but take the monkeys off, it looks so silly (to me anyway) the next door neighbours cat quite likes one of them lol.
but they are nice bags, nice colours, even the small ones are roomy loads of pokets, and washable
just no monkey

Search me honey. I'm immune to their charms! Ditto for Radley. :confused::confused::confused:

However I never saw the point of Lulu Guinness bags until she did a shiny purple one and my brain was going "Mmmm.... Shineeeeee.... Purple..... "

So maybe I just have yet to succumb to the lure of Kiplings????

Lol at the Kim! I'm wearing some too cos I'm s'posed to be doing me yoga. (The cat's my alibi. He sat on me and what could I do???) :D

I was going to say exactly the same about Radley bags too, sure the quality's great, and the little scottie's fun, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be enough to warrant bankrupting myself for! Kipling bags, washable - a plus point, possible better made than it's nameless counterparts, but again I think if you look around you could spend a lot less on a similar bag, that's not going to be "last season's" shortly after you've bought it. I think the monkeys are a bit of fun, but do make the bags look a bit like a kid's school bag.
I guess it's just me, I've never been that bothered about having the "right name" whether it be shoes, bags or clothing, and was lucky when I was growing up the designer phenomenon wasn't in existance, though I will admit that we did "rip the pee" out of those kitted out in "Tesco home n' wear"!

I love Kipling - but one thing about Kipling I've never heard them say on qvc, which is really a *very* good thing about Kipling, is that you get a two-year guarantee with a Kipling bag, which means they will make good any repairs within two years from purchase. I have a Kipling Fairfax where the velcro on the main pocket got seriously weak and feeble. I contacted Kipling by email, asking whether they knew if there was anywhere I could get it repaired, and they sent me back a form to complete and return to them, with the bag, so it could be repaired, free of charge! Two weeks later, it was back, with a smart new piece of velcro making it fully usable again. Now *that's* a reason to like Kipling, isn't it?! But the monkeys? No. No. No.... no.

I love them as they make a great work bag. You can fit tons in them, they are lightweight, they offer a lot of choices in their non-leather range. I also love the fact that you can wear them over your shoulder (where I work is a mugger's paradise). I don't buy them because I think they're designer - they just suit my needs and while I think the monkey is cute, I wouldn't buy it because of it either (I'm the wrong side of 40 so too old to do cute LOL).

Must admit I could never understand all the fuss about Kiplings, but this summer I invested (imo they are pricey for a cloth bag) in a Fairfax. There is no doubt they hold a lot and all the compartments do make it easier to keep track of things. However, I took the monkey off. I quite like the look of the city bags with the metal monkeys but not rushing out to buy one yet.

I love kipling bags (only certain ones not all) because they are fantastic quality, last forever, are durable practical and not leather - a pre-requisite for me when buying bags, shoes and purses.

I struggled to find bags i like that aren't leather and found a lot were desinged to look like leather!! which i don't want either so kipling bags fit the bill for me

My curent favourite a hip katie bag - adore it. I must admit I prefer the hip range to traditional nylon.

Of course! I imagine they are a godsend for people that choose not to use leather - maybe another reason for their popularity.:thinking2:

Of course! I imagine they are a godsend for people that choose not to use leather - maybe another reason for their popularity.:thinking2:

Possibly as the choice on the high street is limited and kipling gets out to so many people via QVC whereas otherwise you really have to shop around although the internet is a wonderful thing.

I think on the whole though from people I know who use them they just love them, the practicality, choice of colours and materials and the fact that a bag the size of a pea can fit in just about everything a woman needs to caryy and for me that's a lot of rubbish to haul about everyday.

I've never liked formal bags - they just aren't me even in work mode.

I like the very big shopper style bags, which you carry over the shoulder. perfect for going to the beach or shopping, or carrying loads of stuff to work with. But the best thing: you can throw them in a wshingmashine. That is a real bonus as I like the summer light colours and patterns. Do not use it for going out, or if I have to look smart though.

They're not my cup of tea. I do love some of the colours and was recently strangely drawn to a gorgeous emerald colour, but it was only the colour I liked. I'm not keen on the material or the monkey. But, it would be an odd and boring world if we all liked the same thing!

There is a monkey on the bag?????
What monkey?????
Oh???!!!!!! It dawns on her................ the monkey on her darling daughters bag!!!!!!:cheeky:

I like Kipling and I admit to having a few I keep the monkey on and some of my bags have 2 on but for a reason they keep my grandson happy when I take him shopping as he plays with them and likes stuffing the thumb in its mouth.anything for a quiet life when standing at the checkout
lizz

Latest posts

Back