valuations - on your jewellery

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

persianglitter

Fire up the Quattro!
Bon jour, it is I, La Persianglitter, a few months I went to a Jewellers, walked and asked if they would be kind enough to give me a verbal valuation of two of my rings; this they kindly did for me (and yes, I was quite pleased with the outcome - one diamond ring bought for £49.00 and valued at £149.00 and a ruby and white sapphire bought for £44.00 and valued at £199.00!!) any way, i have a few more items that i need valuing, and because i cannot manage to get to the jeweller that I last went to, I tried a jewellers closer to home - and i asked if they did valuations, and the reply was yes, but it costs £5.00 per item that i am wanting to have valued, and they also take a further fee of 1% of the value of that item - now being a simple old persianglitter, i thought this rather odd, because the more valuable the item, the bigger the cut they are going to charge - is this a normal procedure? has anyone else come across this? and would you go ahead and have it done? thanks xx :grin:

Last edited:
Bonjour ma petite Persianglitter! Let's see if I can help!!!

Ok, firstly why do you want/need the valuations? Is it for insurance? Or is it just cos you want to know how much something would be valued for? Or are you trying to find out whether what you've bought has been worth it?

Insurance

If it's for insurance purposes then check your home contents policy first. MOST policies will insure your jewellery within the contents bit if it's not over £x (normally £1,000 or above). Some have a limit of £2,500. You only need to specify high value items (normally). However, check your policy first otherwise you could be getting valuations for nothing!

Next, if your total jewellery is over £x amount in value then you might need to tell the insurer. Some give a percentage of your overall contents, others specify a £x amount.

Irrespective of having a valuation, in the event of loss, the insurer may not pay out the full amount. For example, I lost a diamond ring on holiday last year that had a valuation (by Safeguard) of £7k. However, I managed to source a replacement for £6k and so the insurer only paid out £6k.

Also, whilst most insurance companies like to see valuations, they will question them if not carried out by a registered valuer. This is different to be a jeweller. For a good/true valuation you are looking at paying far more than £5 per item plus a commission.

For example, with Safeguard (and this varies slightly from region to region), you pay £45 for the first item and then £25 or £30 for each subsequent item. For that you get a valuation with a full description and photo of each item. You can also have the item stamped with a mark inside to identify that you're the owner (very good for high value items that might be stolen). In my experience, insurance companies will accept Safeguard's valuations as being accurate as they are done by registered valuers who do nothing except value jewellery. I've had valuations done by Safeguard and the same item by another company that I know others have used (based in Birmingham) and the one in Birmingham put such a high mark up on the item that I KNEW it was wrong!!!

For the past 5 years I've always used Safeguard and trust their valuations.

Just because you want to know!

Bear in mind, a valuation is NOT an indication of worth or what you could sell an item for. A valuation (if done by a registered valuer), will be based on the amount of gold needed to replace the item, the grade, cut, colour, rarity and quality of each stone in the ring, the amount of time a jeweller would have to take to make the same piece again and this gives you a replacement value.

People tend to think that if they buy a ring for X and it's valued at XX then that's what they could sell it for. That's not the case at all.

Because you're buying from GemsTV who DO sell some items at a loss, some at very small margins and as they "mass" produce can bring better deals than the High Street, your valuations will typically be at least double or treble what you've paid. This is normal. One of my valuations (done by Safeguard) came back at 12 times what I'd paid!!!!! That's not the norm though!!!

Typically, if you buy from GemsTV, you can't buy the same item £ for £ on the High Street. Normally the High Street will have a much higher asking price. Where the difference may be is that you might find a different quality gemstone available elsewhere BUT that does mean you might pay more (not always though).

Does that help?

Why bother?

I once had an item valued by the esteemed jewellers in Edinburgh 'Hamilton & Inches' (relative of HRH Queen Elizabeth). I can't tell you how relieved I was when the report came back stating that it was a synthetic colour change sapphire and NOT a Russian Alexandrite (which I thought it was as it had a Russian Hallmark on the gold band). They valued it at £420!!!!!!!!!!!! I paid £10 for a first class service and very grand certificate...had it been valued over £1000 I would have been charged 10% of the value....thank goodness it wasn't a genuine Russian Alexandrite valued at over £10,000! I haven't had any items valued since as the value to me is in their beauty to me and not their re-sale value.

This is the sort of thing that rattles me with Gems. They're very careful with their wording but they do suggest that valuations are important to the owner, rather than the insurance companies. When some of them (particularly a rather loud young lady and a Welsh young lady) say "you must get this valued" and it's a piece of silver or a bit of topaz in a couple of grams of gold, I could thow me crutches through the screen. They are exposing their customers to embarrassment when rejected by a jeweller and/or unnecessary expense, by encouraging this. Then they have the cheek to ask for copies, just so that they can continue misleading folk as to what a valuation really means, at other customers expense. This rattles me even more than shouty presenting "errors". xxxxxx

Cooee Meeshoo

What an excellent explanation of Insurance. As an Underwriting Manager I get quite upset when people are wrongly advised to get valuations and therefore spend money unnecessarily. I cringe at some of the calls my team get and one of the most recent was a lady wanting to add a sapphire ring on to her insurance. She insisted it was worth £20,000 and was quite happy to pay the additional premium to cover it. With my obvious interest in jewellery I asked my underwriter who took the call, what the ring was. It was a 1 carat Ceylon Sapphire ring in 14k yellow gold!! I think she'd probably bought it off one of the TV channels and insured it at the auction starting price!

Anyway, if you ever want a change of career.............................................. :call: :wink2:

I could thow me crutches through the screen. They are exposing their customers to embarrassment when rejected by a jeweller and/or unnecessary expense, by encouraging this. Then they have the cheek to ask for copies, just so that they can continue misleading folk as to what a valuation really means, at other customers expense. This rattles me even more than shouty presenting "errors". xxxxxx

Now Argey my dear, have you ever considered an anger management course?
4.gif

It could change you from this
computer-smiley-10.gif
to this
angel-smiley-18.gif
and then you could be just like me, a little ray of sunshine :sun:

:Laughing1::Laughing1::Laughing1:

3 Days and 29 minutes

Can I just add a rider?

If you don't get a valuation (and, personally, I only do this where I know the value is going to be over £1k) please make sure you take photographs of your jewellery, log the purchase price somewhere and keep the authenticity cards safe. That way, if you have to claim, you do have some "proof" that you owned the item. I tend to take photos of items on my hand (rings) because from my experience just recently, the person who came round to talk to me about my claim (i.e. try to prove I was telling porkies - I wasn't!) wanted to see a photo of me wearing the ring.

Huggles - there are tons of CC Sapphs on the market sold as "Russian Alexandrite". The minute I see "Russian" Alexandrite, my starting point is that it's either synthetic or a cc sapph!!!

Bonjour ma petite Persianglitter! Let's see if I can help!!!

Ok, firstly why do you want/need the valuations? Is it for insurance? Or is it just cos you want to know how much something would be valued for? Or are you trying to find out whether what you've bought has been worth it?

Insurance

If it's for insurance purposes then check your home contents policy first. MOST policies will insure your jewellery within the contents bit if it's not over £x (normally £1,000 or above). Some have a limit of £2,500. You only need to specify high value items (normally). However, check your policy first otherwise you could be getting valuations for nothing!

Next, if your total jewellery is over £x amount in value then you might need to tell the insurer. Some give a percentage of your overall contents, others specify a £x amount.

Irrespective of having a valuation, in the event of loss, the insurer may not pay out the full amount. For example, I lost a diamond ring on holiday last year that had a valuation (by Safeguard) of £7k. However, I managed to source a replacement for £6k and so the insurer only paid out £6k.

Also, whilst most insurance companies like to see valuations, they will question them if not carried out by a registered valuer. This is different to be a jeweller. For a good/true valuation you are looking at paying far more than £5 per item plus a commission.

For example, with Safeguard (and this varies slightly from region to region), you pay £45 for the first item and then £25 or £30 for each subsequent item. For that you get a valuation with a full description and photo of each item. You can also have the item stamped with a mark inside to identify that you're the owner (very good for high value items that might be stolen). In my experience, insurance companies will accept Safeguard's valuations as being accurate as they are done by registered valuers who do nothing except value jewellery. I've had valuations done by Safeguard and the same item by another company that I know others have used (based in Birmingham) and the one in Birmingham put such a high mark up on the item that I KNEW it was wrong!!!

For the past 5 years I've always used Safeguard and trust their valuations.

Just because you want to know!

Bear in mind, a valuation is NOT an indication of worth or what you could sell an item for. A valuation (if done by a registered valuer), will be based on the amount of gold needed to replace the item, the grade, cut, colour, rarity and quality of each stone in the ring, the amount of time a jeweller would have to take to make the same piece again and this gives you a replacement value.

People tend to think that if they buy a ring for X and it's valued at XX then that's what they could sell it for. That's not the case at all.

Because you're buying from GemsTV who DO sell some items at a loss, some at very small margins and as they "mass" produce can bring better deals than the High Street, your valuations will typically be at least double or treble what you've paid. This is normal. One of my valuations (done by Safeguard) came back at 12 times what I'd paid!!!!! That's not the norm though!!!

Typically, if you buy from GemsTV, you can't buy the same item £ for £ on the High Street. Normally the High Street will have a much higher asking price. Where the difference may be is that you might find a different quality gemstone available elsewhere BUT that does mean you might pay more (not always though).

Does that help?

Meeshoo many thanks for this advice; I fished out the insurance schedule for the contents of my home - and noticed that jewellery in my family, whether at home or out and about is covered. Unspecified jewellery covered to £2,212.00 so its a good job you brought that to my attention. Thanks xx Ps i have kept all the invoice receipts from Gems, along with all the little authenticity cards - i have them all filed in order that i bought the items, and i have just scared myself at how much I have spent with gems, have taken precautions of hiding said invoices from hubby! what he doesnt know, wont kill him hehehe !!

Last edited:
He-he, I've got all my invoices as well, and one day I thought I'd have a quick tot-up. I live alone, but have stuffed them in the back of a cupboard now 'cos if I do that again I could make myself ill. :sweat: xxx

He-he, I've got all my invoices as well, and one day I thought I'd have a quick tot-up. I live alone, but have stuffed them in the back of a cupboard now 'cos if I do that again I could make myself ill. :sweat: xxx

AB when i added up all my invoices on the calculator (smoke was pouring from the keyboard! lol) and saw the entire total, I had to do a double take - and a swig of brandy! and a whiff of smelling salts too! lol dont know if it is me - but the smilies thing isnt half playing me up tonight! lol

Bon jour, it is I, La Persianglitter, a few months I went to a Jewellers, walked and asked if they would be kind enough to give me a verbal valuation of two of my rings; this they kindly did for me (and yes, I was quite pleased with the outcome - one diamond ring bought for £49.00 and valued at £149.00 and a ruby and white sapphire bought for £44.00 and valued at £199.00!!) any way, i have a few more items that i need valuing, and because i cannot manage to get to the jeweller that I last went to, I tried a jewellers closer to home - and i asked if they did valuations, and the reply was yes, but it costs £5.00 per item that i am wanting to have valued, and they also take a further fee of 1% of the value of that item - now being a simple old persianglitter, i thought this rather odd, because the more valuable the item, the bigger the cut they are going to charge - is this a normal procedure? has anyone else come across this? and would you go ahead and have it done? thanks xx :grin:

my local jewellers charges £12 up to the first £750 after that it is extra but they do give you a laminated cert for insurance ,my house insurance covers up to £1500 i have had a few valued and the silver gem set watches from 18 months ago which i bought for £29 have been valued at £400/£600 each depending on which one i must say that all the ones i have had done they have all come back with a good value

I am so not doing that - I'm not convinced the heart could take the shock! All of mine are stuffed in a drawer (with a lock and a very heavy thing blocking it ....) :eek:

I am so not doing that - I'm not convinced the heart could take the shock! All of mine are stuffed in a drawer (with a lock and a very heavy thing blocking it ....) :eek:

I would just like to point out that I have never met Flossie and I am NOT the very heavy thing she has blocking her drawers......:emo:

...... I am the very heavy thing blocking my cupboard!

Oh that did make me laugh Mathilda! Even made the OH look up from his paper in surprise :grin::grin::grin:

on a minor deviation, i went out of interest to my high street just to see what i would be offered in scrap for my 6.6 gram 18k gold ring, in the space of less than a mile, it went
shop 1) £10 a gram,
shop 2) £8 a gram
shop 3) £5.00 a gram

The first two were money shop type, the third a jeweller.
Talk about taking a cut! id have lost £30 in the space of a few steps.

I didnt sell the item, but it was an interesting bit of research!

Latest posts

Back