Something strange has happened

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Greenie

Addicted to bling
I was having a sort out today of my Gems rings and getting rid of those I don't wear much. I opened the box of a 9ct white gold green amethyst ring to find to my dismay that it's gone all cloudy :eek:. I bought it in April this year and haven't worn it for a while. Cleaned all my jewellery about a month ago (using a toothbrush and warm soapy water) and put it away in its box where it's been sat in a drawer. What would have caused it to go like this?

Attachments

• DSC03044.JPG
    DSC03044.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 234
Greenie, I think it could be that perhaps you did not rinse all the soapy water off well enough and, the ring having been in a nice cosy box, there has been some kind of mould or algae grow on the surface... most likely it will wash off completely. Dry as much as you can with a soft, lint-free cloth and leave to air-dry in the open for a while before you shut it away in a box again.

For rings and jewellery, with hard to get into mounts, I use a very very soft headed baby's toothbrush, and apply a little squirt of washing up liquid, gentle brushing into those awkward nooks and crannies, and then rinse under the tap - and buff dry with a microfibre cloth. I dont put them back in a box, i have a ring roll in my jewellery box, and with that I have put a little silica pack, (you get them with new shoes, or new handbags) you can buy special acid free tissue paper, that you can line a necklace box with, and put your rings in that. I dont mix my silver with white gold or yellow gold. I have trouble like this with my Brazilian Fire Opal ring, the day i got it (this march) 5 stones where immaculately crystal clear and zesty, and one was very dull, opaque, and sticks out like a sore thumb; I have cleaned the BFO with advice from this forum site, all 5 come up wonderfully shiney and bright, just this one obstanate little beggar - he just wont shine - so now i dont wear him that often, I had him replaced with a Maricota Amblygonite - gorgeous and sparkly and zesty lime! xx

For rings and jewellery, with hard to get into mounts, I use a very very soft headed baby's toothbrush, and apply a little squirt of washing up liquid, gentle brushing into those awkward nooks and crannies, and then rinse under the tap - and buff dry with a microfibre cloth.

That's exactly what I did - washing up liquid, warm water, toothbrush, rinse under the tap, put on kitchen roll to absorb moisture then buffed with a microfibre cloth. The only difference was that I put mine back in their boxes rather than in a jewellery roll. I did the other pieces at the same time and none of these have gone cloudy, they're all fine. Just this one.

That's exactly what I did - washing up liquid, warm water, toothbrush, rinse under the tap, put on kitchen roll to absorb moisture then buffed with a microfibre cloth. The only difference was that I put mine back in their boxes rather than in a jewellery roll. I did the other pieces at the same time and none of these have gone cloudy, they're all fine. Just this one.

Greenie, i know how you feel, it is totally disheartening, specially when you know it is nothing that you have done. I have a green amethyst someone bought me, and it is still as bright and as clear as the day i got it, over 2 years ago now. Have you thought about buying one of those Goddards Jewellery Dips, (they are sold in the bigger chain of the shop, where every little helps) give that a try, and if all else fails, i would take it to a jeweller and ask his/her advice. Or email customer services and ask them if they can help you out. xx

Latest posts

Back