addiction,habit or otherwise..

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

rainbowdottie

Registered Shopper
Why do you watch qvc....

I'm happy to admit,mine started out like a radio - bit of background noise,a bit of company......than I think it went to real addiction....I'm actually pleased that qvc sent me "The Letter" as I was so miffed at the time,it has given me a jolt back to the real world.

Now I believe its a habit combined with a bit of theres actually nothing that interests me on "normal" TV!.

I work mornings.Theres only so much gmtv I can handle before work - so normally tune in to see what the tsv is.When I return from work at lunchtime - its kind of a destresser whilst I have my lunch!

The rest of the day is a bit of habit/background noise - but other than eastenders and the odd home show,theres nothing that interests me on tv!

I was on holiday from work when QVC launched. I don't like daytime T.V. and I'm something of a shopaholic, so I was interested to see if it lived up to the hype.
I learned a great deal about various makes of products and the 'convenience' bit was great for a Mum with a large family and unsocial working hours. Many of the things, you couldn't get in the shops like rolykits and the famous "Tuckit" bucket. It saved me trailing round the shops looking for suitable presents for people and all the bits of TSV's that I didn't want or use, were used for the Christmas bran tub etc.
It became both a habit and an addiction, one which I'm still trying to contain.

i like shopping from qvc but find i watch it a lot more than i actually buy anything.
i treat qvc like a shop and buy what i really need and buy stuff from clearance like the jewellery..
i must admit i have a bit of an addiction to l'occitane and have to stop myself buying more than i need. a sucker for luxury bath products am i... :hi:

I don't watch tv during the day at all so luckily that rules out all day QVC marathons. I tend to watch it if no-one else is in at night (the family loathe it) or on the lappy. I always check out the tsv as that, and last clicks tend to be my main purchases.

It's definitely my guilty pleasure...I enjoy watching the fashion just to see how awful it is and how hard the presenters try to convince us it is the height of taste (apologies to all you QVC fashionistas, but really?). I enjoy treating myself to something extravagent now and again when I've been given a proper presentation, as in the kodak printer at a super price for my daughter who, funnily enough, was going to Uni. I have bought a lot of their jewellery in the past but am very selective now and tend to buy Lola Rose or clearance gold items. I think it's become a habit and would miss it dreadfully but would survive without it if the plug was pulled.

Why do you watch qvc....

I'm happy to admit,mine started out like a radio - bit of background noise,a bit of company......than I think it went to real addiction....I'm actually pleased that qvc sent me "The Letter" as I was so miffed at the time,it has given me a jolt back to the real world.

Now I believe its a habit combined with a bit of theres actually nothing that interests me on "normal" TV!.

I work mornings.Theres only so much gmtv I can handle before work - so normally tune in to see what the tsv is.When I return from work at lunchtime - its kind of a destresser whilst I have my lunch!

The rest of the day is a bit of habit/background noise - but other than eastenders and the odd home show,theres nothing that interests me on tv!

SNAP!

Even though I've sent my letter asking them to cancel my account after getting 'the phone call', I still find myself going to press 640 on the sky remote!

It's definately been habit with me, so just like any habit it's been hard work weaning off it, but I'm getting there!

I think when I first started shopping with QVC way back in 1997, they had so many brands which we could not get here in Belfast. But now with the web its far easier to buy elsewhere.

I did used to have it on in the background, now it actually annoys me rattling away.

I think when I first started shopping with QVC way back in 1997, they had so many brands which we could not get here in Belfast. But now with the web its far easier to buy elsewhere.

I did used to have it on in the background, now it actually annoys me rattling away.

Thats a really interesting thought actually - "rattling away".

I've just paid some of my credit card off this morning - slowly but surely,it is being reduced.Within the morning - just because QVC was rattling away - I could have so easily ordered the similiar gold version to my links of london bracelet - and at the cost of about £250!! so easily done and whipped on my credit card at around easy pays of £83 ish:thinking2:

I picked up the phone twice to order it - and re thought and re thought about it.I haven't because it would cancel out my payment this morning.

If the tv wasn't on rattling away - I wouldn't know about all these things:sad:

Must admit I only watch when there is something on that I like: SouthWestern Silver, Northern Nights, YC, L'Occitaine.

My mum watches alot out of habit and cause she is on her own and housebound she feel like its company and she has the ability to buy stuff without relying on others.

it's weird ...

for me it started off as an addiction....as soon as we got freeview I was glued to it and would often fall for the sales spiel......

then I think I started to see through the presenters gushing over the same ole product range...and the same ole guests etc etc..

but I must admit it is still a habit as I always have to know what the TSV is...just in case!

it's weird ...

for me it started off as an addiction....as soon as we got freeview I was glued to it and would often fall for the sales spiel......

then I think I started to see through the presenters gushing over the same ole product range...and the same ole guests etc etc..

but I must admit it is still a habit as I always have to know what the TSV is...just in case!

You sound just the same as me. My SIL introduced me to QVC in 1998 and then we got Freeview in 1999 and I was glued to it, I wouldn't watch anything else! Now I hardly watch it at all unless it is something I know is going to be on, Kipling, L'Occitance or LE and I only purchase jewellery in the clearance section, whereas I used to watch anything/everything and spend a heck of alot of money. I was a QVC Bore!

I started with it on in the background in 1999 but it gradually became an addiction and I watched more and more and it was virtually on QVC all day :blush:
but I am pleased to say after 10 years I am cured and find it quite boring and the presenters really annoying so dont watch much at all now although most days I do check out the TSV's and read the posts on here but I find if you dont watch you dont know what bargains you are missing or not whatever the case may be and if I dont see it I dont need it :tongue2:

I started having QVC on in the background when I was doing my degree in 1998. It was good because I had people chatting in the background and I didn't have to follow a plot.

But I always watched what the TSV was, and introduced myself some really good products that I wouldn't swap for any other, and products that I would never have heard of otherwise.

When I discovered crafting I totally got addcited. I should have been awarded a 'dedicated follower' medal for the money I spent.

But recently, before I went away for a month, I told the postman. Oh well he said...less for me to deliver cos you won't be ordering anything. Derrrr.embarrassment or what...

So know I not only have my do I NEEEED it or simply just want it? But also I see the Postman saying 'buying again, eh?' and then some raised eyebrows. Sometimes it is great having the failing of worrying about what other people think about your actions!!!!!!

Last edited:
I discovered QVC in the US and when I moved back here I found it on NTL. There's something fascinating about watching stylish attractive presenters saying they love Kipling bags, Kim & Co fashion and naff jewellery. You know they would never buy any of it. Having Lulu on to sell here skincare when it's obvious she has had a shedload of surgery is ludicrous too. I wonder how much they get paid...

I really don't get the whole Lulu thing, I mean the range may be very very good (and I believe there are some good reviews for it), BUT when you have a woman who has so obviously had ALOT of work done praising the anti aging properties of a cream it just seems so fake.

To be telling people how well it's worked for her when she has a frozen face is just ludicrus. The same goes for Tova too.

I watched QVC back in the day when it originally started then got bored and drifted away. I had major surgery earlier this year and due to being housebound and fed up with daytime tv, I got sucked back into QVC and starting watching (and buying) again. Now I'm back at work I just tune in for certain shows (sometimes to buy, sometimes to have a giggle at) or when there is nothing much else on and I want a bit of background noise.

I can remember thinking it was all faintly ridiculous and wondering who the heck would watch this???

It was Alison "Bossy Boots" Young and the Beauty Shows that sucked me in...and now it's definitely habit forming!

Latest posts

Back