Please please can someone help re note book to turn on the wi fi

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

iggy

Registered Shopper
please please can anyone help [ maybe you sazza ].......we have played all morning with our new toy & have a HUGE problem that we have read & re-read the info & the booklet ........right 1st i need the help in laymans terms......no PC jargon as im a silver surfer as they say..anway what the problem is is that we cant turn on the WIFI connection....we have it running as an stand alone computer.....BUT we cant turn on the wireless connection in the net book......where it says start...then select CONNECT TO WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION....has anyone any suggestions [ not rude ones though ]....many thanks....

You usually either have to press one of the F keys or one of the number keys I can't remember which but you could give it a try.

I have a Samsung rather than a Toshiba, but they should all be roughly the same.

Down on the bottom right-hand of the screen there should be several icons. If you move the cursor over them slowly, a little box should pop up to tell you what they are. One of them ought to be about wireless connections, and may say 'Wireless networks available'.

Click on it, and you should get a window that shows you your home network, which you can highlight and then click 'Connect'.

HTH.

Not sure which stage you are at but you have to connect to the net in the usual way, via cables to set up the wireless connection.

Have you done that?

please please can anyone help [ maybe you sazza ].......we have played all morning with our new toy & have a HUGE problem that we have read & re-read the info & the booklet ........right 1st i need the help in laymans terms......no PC jargon as im a silver surfer as they say..anway what the problem is is that we cant turn on the WIFI connection....we have it running as an stand alone computer.....BUT we cant turn on the wireless connection in the net book......where it says start...then select CONNECT TO WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION....has anyone any suggestions [ not rude ones though ]....many thanks....

You press the FN button and F8 button :)

You usually either have to press one of the F keys or one of the number keys I can't remember which but you could give it a try.

hiya....we have done that [F8 ] on the toshiba... but it says no wireless networks were found in range ...make sure the wireless switch is ON & see updated list click refresh network list.......when weve dont that ...it says searching for wireless networks in range ...then goes back to start point....

we are on AOL if that makes a difference / dont see why it should though.
[ we are about 6 foot away from my PC & belkin ]

You press the FN button and F8 button :)

sazza my lovely weve have done that & flipping nothing [ though hubby has resorted to saying a word that starts with an F.......ends with a G ]......any more info pretty please

Not sure which stage you are at but you have to connect to the net in the usual way, via cables to set up the wireless connection.

Have you done that?

tilly my sweet pea..........i have been telling the old goat to do that & he has been saying why !!!!!!! & im wondering why i married the old fool lol......will give that a go..........MANY THANKS.will report back.......

sazza my lovely weve have done that & flipping nothing [ though hubby has resorted to saying a word that starts with an F.......ends with a G ]......any more info pretty please

Are you pressing FN and F8 at same time? What comes up when do you?

I have anetbook neither the Samsung or Toshiba and I did not have to connect with cables to connect to WiFi.

hes in th middle of re-installing the somethings.........hes found a page what hes not seen before asking about wireless connections.........[ hes just said in anglo saxon words that really mean hes gone round in a loop........]

sazza.......yes BOTH at same time..he says it said wi fi off...........everytime hes tried.......

Last edited:
hes in th middle of re-installing the somethings.........hes found a page what hes not seen before asking about wireless connections.........[ hes just said in anglo saxon words that really mean hes gone round in a loop........]

sazza.......yes BOTH at same time..he says it said wi fi off...........everytime hes tried.......

When it comes up saying it is off press the F8 again and it should enable it.

sazza
He has done that too......so sorry to be a pain BUT i really would have liked to enjoy my new toy & all its done so far is scare the dogs with him getting in a fluster.......hes having another go [ re-starting to install the new installation ] .......noises are being made along the lines of returning it & getting one that works......as hes an engineer by trade he expects things to work pronto......will keep you all updated as to his highness progress.....thanks to all who are replying though.....

sazza
He has done that too......so sorry to be a pain BUT i really would have liked to enjoy my new toy & all its done so far is scare the dogs with him getting in a fluster.......hes having another go [ re-starting to install the new installation ] .......noises are being made along the lines of returning it & getting one that works......as hes an engineer by trade he expects things to work pronto......will keep you all updated as to his highness progress.....thanks to all who are replying though.....

What happens when you go to the Start, choose Connect To and then Wireless Network Connection?

I hope I'm not being rude or patronising, but have you checked that the wi-fi is switched on at your desktop PC ?

I've got a Samsung netbook and the wi-fi "just worked" when I switched it on, I didn't have to do anything except ensure my wireless modem was on and "broadcasting".

If you are running on Windows XP then you should be able to check your wi-fi status from one of the icons in the Start bar at the bottom of your screen. On the right side next to the time, there should be an icon of a pc screen. If you click on that you will see another screen. On there you will see a box called View Wireless Networks. Click on that and you should see your wi-fi plus any neighbours' that are within transmitting distance.

Or, is your wi-fi protected by a security password ? You will need to use this to set up the wi-fi on your netbook.

This sort of thing is such a pain, I get into such a state when I can't get things to work, even tears (of rage!). Good luck and let us know when you get there.

Linda :hi:

on my toshiba lappie, there's a little switch underneath at the front for wi-fi - when it's on it lights up, it's just a toggle switch left & right.

My laptop has a switch on front but the NB200 Netbook has no switch.

I hope I'm not being rude or patronising, but have you checked that the wi-fi is switched on at your desktop PC ?

I've got a Samsung netbook and the wi-fi "just worked" when I switched it on, I didn't have to do anything except ensure my wireless modem was on and "broadcasting".

If you are running on Windows XP then you should be able to check your wi-fi status from one of the icons in the Start bar at the bottom of your screen. On the right side next to the time, there should be an icon of a pc screen. If you click on that you will see another screen. On there you will see a box called View Wireless Networks. Click on that and you should see your wi-fi plus any neighbours' that are within transmitting distance.

Or, is your wi-fi protected by a security password ? You will need to use this to set up the wi-fi on your netbook.

This sort of thing is such a pain, I get into such a state when I can't get things to work, even tears (of rage!). Good luck and let us know when you get there.

Linda :hi:

linda.....im a LYNDA too.........we have the pc on & yes we have the wi fi on the main home PC SWITCHED ON....hence this is where im writing all this from....but thanks anyway......

just a thought......we are on vista on the wi fi PC......the netbook is of course XP ??

Latest posts

Back