Feather Bed or Memory Foam

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Emma 1

Registered Shopper
Need a bit of help here. I am thinking of purchasing a feather bed or memory foam topper. I have read a lot of reviews on QVC website and I just don't know which to get. Some say feather bed, some say memory foam. We went to France for a couple of weeks in our caravan and think the bed did something to my back. I don't really know if it was the bed as we have been in it before and back was ok. We had a long journey from Northern Ireland to France so maybe it was the car journey. Anyway back home now and the back seems to be ok. Any suggestions?

Emma

another vote for memory foam, have had feather bed too but much prefer memory foam

Feather bed for me as I find memory foam just too warm. It feels like its stopping my skin breathing. Its comfortable enough, just the heat that gets to me. There is another thread on here somewhere and I think MF came out on top so it may be worth using the 30 day MBG to try both as you should be able to get them collected from your home if its not suitable (due to the size/weight collection should be included in the P&P but check with CS just to be sure).

I have had feather toppers and they were lovely but did need frequent shaking up to keep the feathers fluffy and not lumpy. I have had one of the firm ones and one of the softer ones. Now I have a memory foam topper in all the bedrooms - even my arthritic dog has some offcuts in his bed! These are brilliant - so comfy, no maintenance, and my bad back causes minimal symptoms (although it was better with the feather topper). I also have a memory foam pillow - a bit different to get used to but now great!

I love the feather bad but my other half doesnt says its too hot and lumpy to be honest you do have to faff it a lot ie every day to distribute the feathers.
Not tried foam matress but i remember my old nan always buying foam from the market to make her own cushions so it kind of put me off cos its quite pricey for what it is.
As a compromise we have one bed with feathers and one with just an ordinairy matress and swap between the two bedrooms depending on our moods!:giggle:

We have had both !, the feather bed went flat OH is built like a large rugby player !, and no end of "fluffing" the bed made a difference....On the other hand the memory foam is lovely, no fluffing up required !...we have the "egg box" type....hope that helps :smirk:

never tried memory foam so can't comment.

tried a featherbed after all the hype and my hubby and I just could not get on with it.
love all my NN stuff - but am pleased to have tried it and found it not to be for us - at least I'm never swayed by it again!

Can anyone recommend a good memory foam mattress topper, please? xxxxxxxxxxxx

definitely memory foam, my bed feels great!!
The feathers don't stay in place and poke through the cover and it gets so heave after few months.

i find that when you use an extra pure cotton cover (i use 2 cotton fitted sheets), you don't get overheated.

another vote here for memory foam. We have the 'flat' one and we had visitors last weekend and the first thing they said when they came down in the morning was 'my god, that bed is so comfy'

I originally bought one from EBay and it was awful and had to go back and was a total nightmare ....

.... so got one from QVC, thinking that if we didn't get on with it, it could at least be collected if there were any probs. However, this was about three years ago now.
It's 2" deep, solid (as opposed to eggbox type) and has a quilted cover on it - know that doesn't really help if you want a specific one but I'm sure there would be similar ones in stock now.

:biggrin

Need a bit of help here. I am thinking of purchasing a feather bed or memory foam topper. I have read a lot of reviews on QVC website and I just don't know which to get. Some say feather bed, some say memory foam. We went to France for a couple of weeks in our caravan and think the bed did something to my back. I don't really know if it was the bed as we have been in it before and back was ok. We had a long journey from Northern Ireland to France so maybe it was the car journey. Anyway back home now and the back seems to be ok. Any suggestions?

Emma
Can't speak for memory foam but my 5" feather bed is wonderful. Like sleeping on a cloud. Warm in winter cool in summerhowever, if I was buying for a double bed again I'd go for 2 single ones as the double s very heavy to manoeuvre.

i've just been trying to find the seller on ebay, but it was a few years ago now & i can't find it, sorry.

we're on our 2nd one now, the first one was 2" thick & i'm pretty sure our current one is about 4" (possibly even 5") thick. if you do a general search (& ebay too) you'll find a bit more info about density rating (kg per metre) & what to look for.

they've definitely come down in price, i'm sure we paid about £120 for a kingsize & looking on ebay now, they're all pretty much under £100.

good luck :)

My vote is def memory foam, had a featherbed which was great at first, but then got fed up trying to plump it up every day. We bought our memory foam topper ( flat with it's own cover ) a couple of years ago from dunelm mill. It's as good as new.......one of my better buys.

Latest posts

Back