Halogen Ovens

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

calico

Registered Shopper
I've been looking at these every time they appear, and last night I took the plunge and ordered one.
But now I'm not so sure...

I already have a small counter-top oven which is very useful but I fell for the fuel-saving spiel (I'm such a sucker).

Does anyone here own one and what do they think of them? I have to admit they look a bit of a pain in the b**t to use....

They are very good and I use mine all the the time.

The only issue I have and they don't mention it on air, is the area that the unit takes up when opening the lid. Mine now sits on the washing maching in the utility room, but it is next to the kitchen.

I was like you Calico - I ummed and arred each time IW showed this oven However I LOVE IT!!! I can honestly say I have only used my big oven twice since having the halogen oven. I have a couple of baked potatoes in there at the moment. I have cooked cakes,roasts,salmon shepherds pie in it In fact everything you would use a "normal".. oven for. It's brilliant. If you cook a chicken make sure you cook it on the rack (not in a dish) as I found the underneath was not cooked. I'm sure you will love it to pieces

Funny enough i was looking at these in the original factory shop yesterday they are £29.99 but not convinced i would use it, is it something you would use all the time

Halogen Oven

Mine has lasted just 7 months before the bulb blew! It's been back with Idealworld for 3 weeks & am still waiting for them to take same action. The cookbook is not very good - it's largely a case of 'trial & error'. Although it does take up space it is better than those with the removable tops that need even more space.

I am still not convinced that it is a better way to cook.

Me too. the thing I like about the IW one is being able to use the extention ring. Some times you don't want things (cakes) to be too near the element. Brilliant. one thing though - the timer on mine needs a nudge to work sometimes but I wouldn't send it back because of this

I've got a version of this without the hinged lid and I've only ever done jacket spuds in it.
I'm at a complete loss on other items, the pamphlet that came with it was total rubbish.
Does anyone know of any cookery books that would be suitable for it please?

I love my halogen oven and use it all the time.I don't find I need a cookery book for it,just use it at the same temperatures as a normal oven.With most dishes, you can tell by looking through the glass when they are done .I find I mostly cook at the 200 setting and things seem to take about the same time as they would in a conventional oven.

I've got a version of this without the hinged lid and I've only ever done jacket spuds in it.
I'm at a complete loss on other items, the pamphlet that came with it was total rubbish.
Does anyone know of any cookery books that would be suitable for it please?

I'm thinking of buying one of these and in my Googling found this Jan, it's American but a fair few useful ones. http://www.morningware.com/Manual/Recipe.pdf

Thanks everyone! I'm glad I've ordered it now after reading your replies - especially as I bought it to try and save on my electricity. I can now burn things more cheaply! :cheeky:

I love mine too. Am gonna lose the big cooker and get a hotplate type thingy and get half me kitchen back. Calico - they're brilliant to manage, especially the washing side of it. Although quite heavy I have mine on a trolley which I can place near the sink and wash the bowl from there - so much easier than trying to get yourself inside a smelly oven. xxxxxxx

Anyone who has one ever made yorkshires in it or toad in the hole?

With my old oven which has been gone for about 11 years I had no problem, they were as close as perfect I could get but with the oven I have now it's a lost cause.

If there is someone who has had success please send me a few tips.

Thank You.

I love mine too. Am gonna lose the big cooker and get a hotplate type thingy and get half me kitchen back. Calico - they're brilliant to manage, especially the washing side of it. Although quite heavy I have mine on a trolley which I can place near the sink and wash the bowl from there - so much easier than trying to get yourself inside a smelly oven. xxxxxxx

Mine's just arrived! Woohoo! That was quick wasn't it?
I was wondering if they were heavy Argey, and I have a terrible habit of dropping things so think I'll stick it as near to the sink as I can.
I'm gonna clean my oven then send it to Coventry....
:wave2:

Oh God...I've just eaten a whole packet of Werthers in one sitting.....my teeth hurt...lol!

I love mine and wouldn't be without one now, it is trial and error for a few uses, but with common sense and slight tweaking of cooking times/temps you'll soon get the hang of it :1:

Latest posts

Back