Illegal?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

originalmeggie

Registered Shopper
I've had a rhodonite & diamond pendant in and out of my basket for some time now. (£156)

When it was taken out last time, I waited for it to reappear. It didn't.

Wondering if it was in clearance, I checked & there it was. A saving? No, it was in there for £278.

Are the rules for "clearance" different from those for "sales"? If it isn't illegal, it's cetainly shady practice.

Meggie

This is happening with many many items i've seen items on the clearance section of the web and in the web game section at the same time and the items in the clearance are £100-£200 higher!

Unfortunately, although clearance implies a "sale", legally not so. Clearance means no more than that, the moving of stock. If they called it a "clearance sale" as the shops do, then that of course would carry a whole parcel of legal implications. Very crafty use of language. xxx

They can shove those wonderful clearance prices where the sun doesn't shine!

I bought a few genuine bargains the other night but I absolutely detest these shady practices. I hadn't bought anything since Nov 2007 and with these tactics, I think it will be another long gap before I get tempted again.

Thanks for the info. Argey :)

They can shove those wonderful clearance prices where the sun doesn't shine!

I bought a few genuine bargains the other night but I absolutely detest these shady practices. I hadn't bought anything since Nov 2007 and with these tactics, I think it will be another long gap before I get tempted again.

Thanks for the info. Argey :)

Just don't cut off your nose to spite your face Ballerina. There are times when excellent bargains are to be had (whatever name they use for special hours), or if you spot that piece you'll just stop breathing without. Once you know what you're dealing with it's easier to avoid the pitfalls, every business does things it's own way all with the same purpose in mind. Just remember when you're shopping to carry a long spoon - lol. xxxxxx

No insult meant to current buyers from Gems TV but imho this company are a bunch of con artists! Trying to mislead people into thinking they are getting something at a discounted price when they're actually paying more than what they would have previously! They may be getting around the 'sale' laws by using what they think is clever wording but they are just showing a total disregard for their customers. They obviously think their customers are stupid.

However, if anyone wishes to take this to the ASA I think you may have a case as it's misleading advertising - quote "We can stop misleading or offensive advertising. We can ensure sales promotions are run fairly" They are actually telling barefaced lies, presenters saying how fabulous the Clearance is and how cheap they are selling items at when in fact they have hiked the prices up!

I would do it myself but currently have a case going through them so better not add another just now! If anyone wishes to complain then it's very straightforward and confidential. Just go to http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/ the more the merrier!

Just an afterthought - Argey why don't you ask Scott about this? I'm sure someone on here could give you an Item number as an example?

Just don't cut off your nose to spite your face Ballerina. There are times when excellent bargains are to be had (whatever name they use for special hours), or if you spot that piece you'll just stop breathing without. Once you know what you're dealing with it's easier to avoid the pitfalls, every business does things it's own way all with the same purpose in mind. Just remember when you're shopping to carry a long spoon - lol. xxxxxx

Hi Ballerina, as Argey says, there's no need to stop buying. If you look at the web games and the clearance games as often as I do, you will know straight away whether the piece you've been looking at has been vastly inflated. For example, I've just bought a zultanite pendant from a web game at £637 - and it's been that price for yonks. However, it's now in clearance for £883. I know straight away that they're taking the p*ss. You will know if something has been hiked into the stratosphere - and you will also know if it is a real bargain. And there have been some. Keep looking. Of course you won't buy those you know are too expensive but you never know when you will spot a bargain.

Another perspective if I may?

Companies can charge what they want for goods so long as it's not misleading. They can put prices up as well as down. A clearance does not imply the lowest price. It implies that goods are being cleared out to make way for other goods.

Is it right/fair/ethical? As a consumer I'd say not. However, whilst it might seriously pi$$ off customers, it's not illegal.

At least we know what we are dealing with when we order from Gems, unlike some companies that smack you in the back and run away shouting "it wasn't me" - lol. Gems almost certainly do think we're as "green as we're cabbage looking", but then they don't seem to have all the "sharpest tools" so you soon get to spot anything iffy.
2.gif
xxxxxxxx

No insult meant to current buyers from Gems TV but imho this company are a bunch of con artists! Trying to mislead people into thinking they are getting something at a discounted price when they're actually paying more than what they would have previously! They may be getting around the 'sale' laws by using what they think is clever wording but they are just showing a total disregard for their customers. They obviously think their customers are stupid.

However, if anyone wishes to take this to the ASA I think you may have a case as it's misleading advertising - quote "We can stop misleading or offensive advertising. We can ensure sales promotions are run fairly" They are actually telling barefaced lies, presenters saying how fabulous the Clearance is and how cheap they are selling items at when in fact they have hiked the prices up!

I would do it myself but currently have a case going through them so better not add another just now! If anyone wishes to complain then it's very straightforward and confidential. Just go to http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/ the more the merrier!

Just an afterthought - Argey why don't you ask Scott about this? I'm sure someone on here could give you an Item number as an example?

I ain't got time Klos, I'll probably have dropped orf me twig by the time I or Scott got an answer . xxxxxx

having been a buyer since the beginning i havwent bought from them for months on end now. in fact instead of being the first place i go for jewellery it is now about 3rd.

the prices are too high now, the styles are all samey samey and the delivery charge is a joke.

clearance = higher prices is just par for the course, they need to do some major PR and get back to how they worked three years ago, or i wont even bother checking them out anymore...

Latest posts

Back