Help! Urgent advice needed on a 'Considered Purchase'!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Greenie

Addicted to bling
Hi, I need your opinions on a "considered purchase" and I need 'em quick! I've only got a couple of days left before my 10 day mbg runs out, and I just can't make up my mind about whether it's a good one or not and worth the money. It's a white gold zultanite pendant and it cost £637. It's nearly 3 carat (2.96ct). It's a lovely kiwi green colour in daylight and goes the most beautiful sparkly champagne colour amongst others under spotlights. My query is over the cut. From the top you cannot see any window (see pics 1 and 2), but if you look at it through the side you can see a window through the star shaped bit of the faceting (see pics 3 and 4). It is terribly difficult to capture the real colours of the zultanite and these pics are awfully washed out but you can see my thumb showing through the bit I'm referring to.

I hope you read this, Meeshoo. I've read your post on windows again and you mention that if you can't see anything from the top, it's not a window but the way the facets have been cut. So I'm not sure this is a window or not, even though you can see through it?

I really want to own a nice piece of zultanite and this is a very pretty pendant but I want to be sure I'm buying a good piece for that sort of money.

Attachments

• DSC03104.JPG
    DSC03104.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC03107.JPG
    DSC03107.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC03108.JPG
    DSC03108.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC03111.JPG
    DSC03111.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 248
Looks beautiful to me as you said it definitely has no window from the top, i think as you turn a gem (with great clarity) you will be able to see thought it from the side angles!
I'm sure someone will be along who can explain it better than me x

It looks lovely, but i'm no expert on windows, so can't advise in that sense. However if you have any doubts over a £600+ piece i would think very carefully what to do.

Hope you can get some better advice soon :)

However if you have any doubts over a £600+ piece i would think very carefully what to do.

Exactly. I knew it was a lot of money before I ordered it and was obviously willing to pay this much for a quality piece and I know zultanite is expensive. If someone tells me yes it's fine, nothing to worry about being able to see through the sides, then I'll keep it. I just need that little bit of reassurance that I'm not spending £600 on a duffer!

Exactly. I knew it was a lot of money before I ordered it and was obviously willing to pay this much for a quality piece and I know zultanite is expensive. If someone tells me yes it's fine, nothing to worry about being able to see through the sides, then I'll keep it. I just need that little bit of reassurance that I'm not spending £600 on a duffer!

I know what you mean, I'm expecting a Paraiba Tourmaline tommorrow (DPD willing) and i expect that i will be asking for opinions before its truly staying put :) Such is the life of a gemstone fanatic :giggle:

That's not a window. It's called a tilt window and will often be seen in gemstones that are paler in colour than others. The "window" you're seeing is purely based on the colour of the gemstone and the placement of the facets. The same cut in a darker gemstone wouldn't show the tilt window at all. Nothing to worry about at all.

If you love the pendant and it makes your heart sing then keep it. If it doesn't do that then irrespective of cut etc., it should go back.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody, especially Meeshoo (our resident expert on such matters :hi:). I will keep it then because it is lovely - and it would look simply stunning set in a ring if I get fed up of the pendant!

Latest posts

Back