Lack of Information

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Klosblue

Costs nothing to be nice!
I've just been reading questions by two new forum members similar to mine when I first joined ST.

Whilst we are very lucky to have Meeshoo here, together with others who are experienced buyers, I think it's very sad that these questions have to be asked in the first place.

Instead of talking rubbish about price and how many people are queuing on the phones, it's about time that these TV jewellery channels (and yes I mean all of them) got their act together and supplied the information at the point of sale allowing viewers to make an informed choice whether to buy or not.

This forum is a fantastic place to get answers and is full of most helpful and knowledgeable people but I strongly believe that it should be the sellers who are supplying these details. Sticking a page about treatments on a website is taking the easy way out and shirking responsibilities. Each item on sale should have the correct information supplied eg is it treated and if so in what way. I feel that is neither an unreasonable request nor rocket science is it?

Oh and can I just say Welcome to JamesH and Sapphireblue.

Excellent point, well made Klos!
3_3_11v.gif

And their answer would be ............ there's not enough time to do so for each gemstone and anyway we put the info on the web for those that are interested. Which translates to "if they don't know, we can charge higher prices"!!!

Sorry to be cynical.

Very good point Klos and there goes a flying pig!
Meesh, don't you mean sorry to be realistic?

And their answer would be ............ there's not enough time to do so for each gemstone and anyway we put the info on the web for those that are interested. Which translates to "if they don't know, we can charge higher prices"!!!

Sorry to be cynical.

Yes you're right Meeshoo but what about the viewers who don't have the internet? Where do they read about all the treatments? In fact how many people don't know that gemstones are treated in the first place? They tell the viewers to check the internet to see the prices they could pay elsewhere but don't give the full facts so that a like for like comparison can be made. Many industries are regulated nowadays and it's about time that this industry had some kind of regulation whereby sellers have to give the full facts. It's all very well saying Buyer Beware etc. but if someone doesn't know what to ask or look for how can they beware? A lot less sales carp and a lot more fact is what's needed.

Sorry to be cynical.

Meeshoo, their attitude to just visit the web, it really irks me, they are erroneously assuming that everyone owns a internet enabled lap top/pc; that in itself is so rude of them, not everybody on this planet has a puter! Even if you can go down to the local library, there is usually a queue, longer than the aircraft stacking to get into heathrow airport!!! lol or pay a pound for 30 minutes on the pc, and the internet service is so sllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooowww that by the time it has accessed gems website, your half an hour is up!! lol and then when you do get on their website, it is at times, pretty hit and miss! i went on yesterday - I havent seen Brazilian Fire Opal on it for quite some time now! and i havent seen them selling for ages the black star sapphires, or the ruby star sapphires either - mind you rocks and co seem to sell a lot of that now, and that gorgeous black matrix opal! xxxxxx

I totally agree that not everybody has internet access however I think the onus is on the company just to make sure it publishes the information - not to make sure it's read.

Look at it this way ........... each industry is regulated and you very rarely get to see everything up front. There's always small print. Okay, in other industries you get full information in a document (normally) but during a phone call to buy, say, insurance you only get the overview. I suppose this is the same as watching a telly commercial selling something.

Is it right in the case of gemstone/jewellery? Absolutely not.

I HATE with a passion the lack of information / incorrect rubbish spouted or not by presenters. A great example was Tony Diniz from Rocks & Co trying to sell that humungous awful "blue" (for blue read "grey") irradiated diamond for the same money as you could buy a house for. Did he tell the viewers it was irradiated? NO. It was on air long enough to sell a house but he didn't tell the viewer once. Criminal attempt to mislead.

So you see, I totally agree but know that we'll never see the changes KB (and we all) want. It's not in the interests of the jewellery channels.

So, it's up to us to spread the word! :thinking2:

Latest posts

Back