I'm curious...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

meerkat

Registered Shopper
...to see if anyone on this forum has anything they actually like from R&C? :tongue2:

I have a few small items, not costing any more than £65 each, from the beginning of the year which I am happy with, among them an 8mm trilliant morganite, an 8x6 olive green cuprian and a lemony-lime 9x6 pear cut chrysoberyl, all of which I find beautiful.

From what I have read here, much of what is shown is second rate at best, so are there any gems that are consistently decent cut, colour, clarity and honest in terms of treatments? To my untutoured eye, the AAA tanzanite always looks stunning...not that I am about to buy any, but I do enjoy the occasional drool. :smirk:

Is it just a matter of educating yourself a little, reading all the treatments(regardless of what presenters say, if you can stand to leave the sound up!), then making an informed decision, or or they not worth bothering with under any circumstances?

Thanks folks.

Ange

I have a lovely Rubellite ring from early days, and also a few silver pieces from very early days and i like them all.

I've sent virtually everything back. I think I've kept a pendant. I haven't been impressed unfortunately.

The prices are so out of line with the market. They're sky high for "normal" gemstones, available elsewhere at a quarter of the price, certified and with complete disclosure.

Last edited:
I only ever ordered one thing and sent it back. Then only watched when JS was on and then stopped altogether when the dreadful Diniz and Burton double act took over. :rolleyes: :pPC:

Got 3 silver rings from them in the early days and like them all,sent a matrix opal back though because it didn't blow me away.

I have a meagre budget and as selling affordable items in silver is beneath them now I never tune in.

I do,however,get some sick pleasure from reading many posts about this channel though,does that make me a bad person?:tongue2:

it makes me appreciate the other jewellery outlets more :D

I bought loads at the very beginning when the prices were good for what you got. However I'd never buy from them now because they are overcharging by miles for everything which is ridiculous because they're usually so highly treated I don't think they're much better than lab created stones and apart from Moissanite I wouldn't buy them.

If the pieces I have hadn't been so cheap then I would never have kept them. Apart from the fact they're all highly treated, the gold weight is abysmal - so lightweight I keep having to check it's still on my finger! Compared to TJC they're like Primark quality! Don't get me wrong Primark's great for what you get but not when you're paying Stella McCartney prices!

Meerkat in my very honest opinion, if you ever decide to buy Tanzanite, buy from The Jewellery Channel. They are the biggest Sight Holder at Tanzanite One and their Tanzanite is just the best. Other channels actually buy from them and as TJC say "we would never sell our best Tanzanite to another channel - we keep it for ourselves"!!

Hi all,
I bought a pair of silver/lapis earrings at the beginning and they are very nice. I also bought a R&C pink sapphire and diamond pendant; I should have sent it back but forgot! It's a strange colour pink sapphire; it's not hot pink more like a pale ruby. Bad buy!

Sapphireblue

Meerkat in my very honest opinion, if you ever decide to buy Tanzanite, buy from The Jewellery Channel. They are the biggest Sight Holder at Tanzanite One and their Tanzanite is just the best. Other channels actually buy from them and as TJC say "we would never sell our best Tanzanite to another channel - we keep it for ourselves"!!

Couldn't agree more. TJC has THE BEST Tanzanite (at decent prices also).

Hi all,
I bought a pair of silver/lapis earrings at the beginning and they are very nice. I also bought a R&C pink sapphire and diamond pendant; I should have sent it back but forgot! It's a strange colour pink sapphire; it's not hot pink more like a pale ruby. Bad buy!

Sapphireblue

What a shame Sapphireblue. I suspect it'll be a beryllium diffused sapphire unfortunately. If the treatments aren't clear and you bought not knowing that, I wonder if you have recourse now to send it back? Probably not but might be worth investigating if you can be bothered. The only other consolation is that we ALL have one or two pieces that fall into the bad buy category :( so you're not alone. x

Hi Meeshoo
I think you are right, it’s a strange colour. After reading the post on this forum, I don’t think I would get any response.
Btw, I succumbed and I bought a Rhapsody Tanzanite 1.5 round solitaire, it is a deep blue and with flashes periwinkle blue, just beautiful!
I have decided to keep it. What your view are Rhapsody tanzanite the best! It was a good price £625
Sapphireblue

Btw, I succumbed and I bought a Rhapsody Tanzanite 1.5 round solitaire, it is a deep blue and with flashes periwinkle blue, just beautiful!
I have decided to keep it. What your view are Rhapsody tanzanite the best! It was a good price £625
Sapphireblue

You lucky lady! Their Rhapsody range is beautiful and they keep their best gems for that range although Iliana is very nice as well. So Miss Sapphireblue! Where are the pics? Come on now, you should know how nosey we are on here by now - well at least I am and I want to see! :giggle:

I have recently ordered 4.8ct tanzanite and .9ct vs diamond ring from them and can't wait for it to arrive.
Was in the process of ordering similar from TJC but found their customer service appalling and the whole set up very amatuerish and thus got very nervous about spending in excess of £2000 with them and cancelled. Also looked them up and found they had been procecuted in the UK for enhancing stones on TV, very dodgy. They were also set up in USA and had terrible reputation and went out of business.

I live in Ireland and had to order via friend in UK for R&C which is a pain but once the ring arrives i will have it valued and post on here.

Also no other channel has JS and even as a straight fella i find him hilarious

I have recently ordered 4.8ct tanzanite and .9ct vs diamond ring from them and can't wait for it to arrive.
Was in the process of ordering similar from TJC but found their customer service appalling and the whole set up very amatuerish and thus got very nervous about spending in excess of £2000 with them and cancelled. Also looked them up and found they had been procecuted in the UK for enhancing stones on TV, very dodgy. They were also set up in USA and had terrible reputation and went out of business.
I live in Ireland and had to order via friend in UK for R&C which is a pain but once the ring arrives i will have it valued and post on here.

Also no other channel has JS and even as a straight fella i find him hilarious

Welcome to the Forum.

The Jewellery Channel in the US didn't go out of business. It simply closed as sales weren't strong enough to warrant keeping it open. However, please bear in mind that The Jewellery Channel is owned by STS who are one of the largest jewellery suppliers in the world. They are also one of a handful of Sight Holders who are obliged to buy a certain amount of Tanzanite from Tanzanite One direct. They, obviously, keep the best for themselves and then sell on to other jewellery channels. Rocks and Co are NOT sight holders.

As for TJC being prosecuted for enhancing gemstones on TV????? I think you mean that they were "told off" for not disclosing enhancements. Ahem, I suggest you watch Rocks and Co a bit more because you'll find they're heading the same way. Their selling tactics are disgraceful and they very very very rarely EVER mention enhancements.

I hope you enjoy your ring but do suggest you take a peek at the other forums on here. That will give you an unbiased consumer's/collectors view of which are good for gemstones, goldweight, honesty, customer service etc etc.

Had already answered many of above points in post on 'how do they sell anything' thread started on 22nd sept. basically they do tell people about enhancements. If you read posts about TJC in USA, their service and quality was very poor, perhaps this explains them not selling much and going out of business.

I have been watching for a long time but have only just ordered due to being in Ireland. I'm keeping an open mind but if my ring is good then when they update their system to allow us to order from here i will order more. If it is not i will send it back and not order anymore

Hi Meeshoo,
I am going to work out how to up load up a picture and post asap

Sapphireblue

Can't wait to see it - but will you post it in TJC section? Might be fairer!

If you want to attach a photo that's already in your computer when you've written your post, scroll down and you'll see a button that I think says "manage attachments". Press that and a new little window will open. In the first box, you need to press the "browse" button. Locate the photo on your pc and then upload it. It'll take a minute but will say something like "uploading in progress". Then you simply shut that small window down. You should see the file name appear near the "manage attachment" button and if you preview post, you should be able to see it! If you're happy then submit the post.

HTH

Hi, this is a link for the US version of TJC. I checked out TJC before purchasing a certified diamond earlier this year. When you think about it, TJC have been going as a business for 24/5 years. In uncertain times, they are unlikely to go out of business.
http://www.liquidationchannel.com/material/Platinum_Jewelry

I feel like a veteran TV shopper having purchase to much jewellery from QVC, Ideal World, Gems TV and Rock&Co. Some have been good purchases others from Gems TV, Ideal World and Rocks & Co truly abysmal and overpriced. I know better now thanks to the posts on this forum.

To date my purchases from TJC have been diamonds and I bought a Rhapsody solitaire Columbian emerald. I dipped my toe and bought a Tanzanite ring a few weeks ago.
I am off on the 2nd October to have my TJC jewellery valued for insurance replacement with Safeguard.
I have not had a bad experience with TJC customer services apart from the system going down a few months ago. I sent back a pair silver Tahitian pearl earring that were damaged in the post. I received replacements within 10 days.
Now... to work out how up upload a picture of my Tanzanite ring

Sapphireblue

Rocks & Co confuse me. I have seen some stones to die for - huge, colourful morganites, patrokie kunzites, big tanzanites and the like. I really like their star rubies, and their 'colours of life' rainbow collection. However, I haven't yet taken the plunge because many if not most of their settings look dodgy - sort of flashily overdone, yet flimsy. (I really don't like that plastered-in-teensy-weensy-diamonds look... it seems to whisper 'Argos catalogue'...). And everything seems so over-hyped and over-priced. Who wants to pay several hundred pounds for a citrine or an amethyst, even if it is a fabulous colour? And if it's a TREATED fabulous colour, why's it so expensive?

I might yet be tempted if an affordable star ruby comes up. But, as I say, I'm confused... their selling technique makes me feel I'm being taken for a ride... so I don't pick up the phone!

Just my opinion. TJC seem more upfront about everything - what you see is what you get! I don't think it's fair to tar UK tjc with what happened to the US outfit.

Thanks all. Your knowledge is invaluable for someone who is learning about this fascinating subject.

Kos

I would dearly love some tanzy, and have recently seen some heavenly antique cushion rings, and loose stones on TJC. Now all I need is that money tree to start giving! lol

I have loads from Rocks & Co, although I haven't bought anything recently. I bought over 20 pieces of jewellery set with rainbow moonstone, which is my favourite gem, and Rocks & Co had just the most fabulous rainbow moonstone I've ever seen - although sadly they can't get it at the moment. My favourite piece in my entire jewellery collection is a rainbow moonstone flower bracelet (£399) from Rocks & Co which I wouldn't exchange for the crown jewels - it is just surreally beautiful. I also have quite a few rainbow sapphire/colours of life pieces, which I love, plus various other items including a really great 3.5ct + AAA tanzy pendant for only £699! (I believe they lost money on that - it was not long after they started, when the prices were really low.)

I happen to like Rocks & Co's ornate designs and settings, but people have made a very fair point about the gold weights - far too flimsy in most cases. (TJC seem to have responded to the rise in gold prices a different way by setting most of their stuff in platinum plated silver, which seems like a sensible move.) The other problem is, as people have said, the prices: I've noticed that some of the cheaper items are going for more reasonable prices again, but the really nice pieces are astronomically expensive, and way out of my price range alas. (And then there's the hype, of course; but I can ignore that - just turn the sound off!)

Latest posts

Back