GemsTV do NOT sell Burmese Rubies

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

G

Graham

Guest Shopper
After ready a few posts with regard to the sale by GemsTV of Burmese Rubies, I was 99.99999% certain that GemsTV did not sell them but thought that I should double check.

I am pleased to report back the following:

"Basically this question has arisen because some people ‘look-up’ stock on the website by putting in sequential codes.

In this instance we were sent a Burmese ruby product from Thailand in error – it is not and has not been for sale, and has been returned to Thailand."

As I expected, sadly the same can not be said for The Jewellery Channel who continue to sell them.

Thats good to know Graham and thanks for checking for us.

I doubt that TJC will ever stop selling Rubies from Burma no matter how many times we ask.:mad:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I distinctly heard a Gems presenter say that a piece they were selling was Burmese Ruby!! I was shocked and asked my husband if I had heard correctly and he had heard it too. If they don't sell them then they need to make their presenters aware before someone complains about them mis-selling as that particular item was sold as Burmese Ruby!

I fully understand why people have issues over Burmese rubies, but I can't get my head around why, for example, gemstones from Tibet, China don't cause offense. :confused:

I'd really love it if someone could explain this to me.

Glad you understand where I am coming from, Sammi!

It's a conundrum to me. I don't recall seeing any outcries about Andesine from Tibet being sold by Gems TV or anyone else. Not saying that people who buy it are bad, but I just don't get why it's only Burmese rubies that attract such attention whilst others seem to be largely ignored and don't attract any negativity.

As an aside, I emailed the Burma Campaign many many months ago, when this was forefront on the TJC board, asking what their position was on the purchase of Burmese rubies and I never did get a reply. A couple of other forum members did as well and I don't think they got a reply either.

I fully understand why people have issues over Burmese rubies, but I can't get my head around why, for example, gemstones from Tibet, China don't cause offense. :confused:

I'd really love it if someone could explain this to me.

Glad you understand where I am coming from, Sammi!

It's a conundrum to me. I don't recall seeing any outcries about Andesine from Tibet being sold by Gems TV or anyone else. Not saying that people who buy it are bad, but I just don't get why it's only Burmese rubies that attract such attention whilst others seem to be largely ignored and don't attract any negativity.

As an aside, I emailed the Burma Campaign many many months ago, when this was forefront on the TJC board, asking what their position was on the purchase of Burmese rubies and I never did get a reply. A couple of other forum members did as well and I don't think they got a reply either.

I am also with you on this one Marble hun I, for one, cannot understand why people have difficulty in dealing with the ever disgusting Dennis Basso on QVC yet they will spend money on gems that are sourced using practices that we would find highly unethical, I know animals don't have a voice to complain with BUT people who rely on these "jobs" in the gem industry don't have a voice or a choice either and their conditions are just terrible.

I know I being hypercritical here as I too have got some lovely pieces of gems form many jewellery outlets but I do try my hardest not to buy gems that are sourced from countries that I think have highly unethical practices.

I remember you saying you contacted them about the issues but I had no idea you had not recieved a reply from them, as I did not either and also the same from our PM, the only ones to reply were QVC and Save the Children.

I know I being hypercritical here as I too have got some lovely pieces of gems form many jewellery outlets but I do try my hardest not to buy gems that are sourced from countries that I think have highly unethical practices.

You're not being hypocritical, just being a normal human being!

Seriously, though, I really don't understand why people have such a huge issue with one, and not another. Why is it so bad to buy from a country under one oppressive regime, and yet not bad to buy from another country under another oppressive regime? That's what baffles me.

I've seen quite a bit about Andesine on the forum, and have seen a bit on TV with the origin of Tibet, recently and I don't recall seeing one single post that was remotely negative about China and Tibet.

Last edited:
I don't understand it either hun, anything to do with Military regimes eg The Far East, Southern America, alot of African countries and those with strict Governments all have mainly unethical mining practices.

Lol, believe me, I addressed the scamdesine issue months ago when when the fit hit the shan here in the states. It's only a matter of time before the RAMAN results are known throughout the industry and the public will know the truth on this frankenstone. It's going to be a bumpy ride,better hold on.

There have been negative comments in the past about gems sourced from locations like China & Tibet, likewise tanzanite when there was that minining accident.

However, the big thing about rubies is the direct trade embargo that has been levied on Burma where it has not been on the other countries we might question. It's one of only a few countries to have been sanctioned that way.

I see, so it's the fact that an embargo is in place that drives feelings - not that one is better or worse than another ... thanks Sammi. I understand now!

This link makes quite interesting reading. No surprises that the Americans are slightly selective ... rubies are a no go, but gas is OK!

http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/burma_embargo.htm

Last edited:
... in fact, having browsed in more detail that link I posted up there, I would urge people who have an interest in this subject to read it because it really is very interesting!

Thanks Marble and Sammi. (This is instead of a thumbs up thanks at the bottom of your posts, as we can't do that now/at the moment!)

Thanks Marble and Sammi. At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is the andesine scandal about?

I wasn't referring to any scandal re Andesine.

People are upset about rubies from Burma due to the oppressive military regime. Perfectly understandable and fair enough. I was questioning why buying (for example) Andesine from Tibet doesn't evoke similar emotions.

Gems still haven't replied to my e-mail. So much for a reply within 5 working days. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back