Opal Care - For Persianglitter

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

M

Meeshoo

Guest Shopper
I once saw a great article that said "think of Opals as glass and treat them the same". Opals are a natural "breathing" material. They need water to prevent them drying out so (unless it's a doublet or triplet) tepid or room temperature water won't hurt an opal and they should be cleaned with a very soft toothbrush and some mild soap or washing up liquid. If you're going to store your Opal and not wear it for any length of time, get a small plastic bag (like the ones that Gems send their earrings in), add a drop of water, the ring and then close the bag and store it that way. The water will help the Opal to remain supple. Opals are around 7-8% water and will dry out/crack if not treated correctly - although this will take some time. A way of avoiding this is to wear it occasionally as the Opal attracts water from your skin!!!

Opals can become scratched over time (which will ultimately give them a dull appearance). They can be repolished but as they're a reasonably fragile stone you would need this to be done by an experienced benchman/lapidarist. Believe it or not, make-up can act as an abrasive to an Opal and take the shine off them (over time). So you should always put on your make-up, hairspray, perfume etc., BEFORE putting on your Opal.

It sounds to me like your Opal has just lost its shine and could be repolished. It doesn't sound like anything more serious than that.

I once saw a great article that said "think of Opals as glass and treat them the same". Opals are a natural "breathing" material. They need water to prevent them drying out so (unless it's a doublet or triplet) tepid or room temperature water won't hurt an opal and they should be cleaned with a very soft toothbrush and some mild soap or washing up liquid. If you're going to store your Opal and not wear it for any length of time, get a small plastic bag (like the ones that Gems send their earrings in), add a drop of water, the ring and then close the bag and store it that way. The water will help the Opal to remain supple. Opals are around 7-8% water and will dry out/crack if not treated correctly - although this will take some time. A way of avoiding this is to wear it occasionally as the Opal attracts water from your skin!!!

Opals can become scratched over time (which will ultimately give them a dull appearance). They can be repolished but as they're a reasonably fragile stone you would need this to be done by an experienced benchman/lapidarist. Believe it or not, make-up can act as an abrasive to an Opal and take the shine off them (over time). So you should always put on your make-up, hairspray, perfume etc., BEFORE putting on your Opal.

It sounds to me like your Opal has just lost its shine and could be repolished. It doesn't sound like anything more serious than that.

Hi Meeshoo

If you read my post about my opals - i mentioned it in your coated diamond part - as I was merely trying to point out - not only are the diamonds, rubies topaz etc etc etc sold by gems tv given various treatments; maybe the opals are too, especially the Brazilian Fire Opals must have undergone some form of treatments which they have not mentioned - as I have never known a BFO to go from crystal clear to something that is nasty. Yes I have tried all those options you have suggested - i tried them several months ago to no avail. I dont think my ring needs to be repolished as i have never put it through a scenario where i would get it scratched - its not on the stone - its in the stone. Inside the stone it looks jelly, that has had tinned cream added to it - instead of being the bright clear yellow, it is now cloudy and dull, and murky and this is actually inside the stones. I never wear it washing up, shower, bath, anything to do with water - or out gardening. After wearing, I always put it in a ring box, as i do with all my rings - as i know diamonds can damage rubies, tanzanite and opals - so all my rings are secure, and separate from each other.

I havent a clue what has happened to my ring - i only know that every time i look at it, it seems to have gotten worse.

Last edited:
I understand Persianglitter but honestly the Coated Diamond issue is a totally different kettle of fish to a "normal" treatment or one that's been disclosed on their website for years.

It sounds like damage of some description I'm afraid or it's a treatment (a normal accepted treatment) that's either gone wrong or worn off. Often gemstones are damaged when you're wearing it and you may not even know and it gets worse over time. Treatments can also wear off. For example, if you oil an Emerald (and 95% of Emeralds on the market are oiled) it can dry out - some Emeralds are oiled with a coloured resin which can discolour (although there's a new filler that is guaranteed to hold its colour for life now). Anyway, in older Emeralds these oils can dry out, fillers can shrink, fall out, etc etc and the appearance of the Emerald will be affected. The same goes for Opals.

Opals can be impregnated with plastic and can be surface oiled. They can also be carbon treated where the opal is heated with manure and it leaves a carbon deposit inside the stone. Sugar treating an Opal can cause a pin-fire effect but is a superficial treatment only and so may not be long lasting - although from your description is doesn't sound like this treatment.

One of the biggest problems for Opals is heat. I doubt very very much whether this is the problem with your Opal because you would need to have exposed it to some pretty hot weather. Mind you if you did some sunbathing with it on and then jumped in a pool or put your hand in the fridge to get something you could seriously damage your Opal without realising it.

Does your Opal look crazed? I don't mean mental :) This is what you would typically see if the Opal had dried out. A loss of water in the stone can also cause of a loss of irridescence which sounds more like what you're seeing. If you post up a photo it might be possible to hazzard a guess.

At the end of the day though - when you buy gemstones/jewellery from ANY of the shopping channels, assume they've all been treated. You will very rarely ever buy a natural unheated/untreated gemstone from these channels. Very occasionally you may but they will be billed as "natural" blah blah blah.

In the meantime it's worth reading up on treatments if it's something that you don't want. The majority of treatments are stable but there are some that aren't. However don't forget you get what you pay for. If you're paying shopping channel prices there's normally a reason. :(

Hope that helps.

I understand the term crazing, the glaze on pottery craze's, as does enamel. No my opals have not crazed - have compared pictures from when i got the ring back on 11 February 2009 (some reason thought it was March) and photo taken yesterday - and you can see a definate difference between the two photos - one taken back in February - crystal clear bright yellow hues - and the photo taken yesterday, dull; and the opaqueness (if you can call it that) shows up clearly. Any way it is an enigma, and by the time i have had photos of it down loaded onto forum - the opals will be yesterdays news.

I think i should learn from my mistakes - and move on. I think the only treatment they require is a visit to the gold scrap merchants.

I have the same problem with a beautiful opal and diamond ring i bought but mine is a doublet and i think it wasn't sealed properly and it has clouded with water coming in, i wish i could turn back the clock and not put it near water.

Davina x

Davina that could probably be repaired. If you live near a good jewellers with a benchman they should be able to give you a price.

Latest posts

Back