Weak nails - what's the solution?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
I have extremely weak and bendy nails and am currently using the OPI regime - nail envy, avoplex and the hand cream, as bought in the last tsv. I do enjoy using the range and, initially, found it quite beneficial but now my nails are not growing at all as they keep breaking.

I feel that the problem with my nails is my diet, which is lacking in vitamins and protein, so I am not getting much calcium although, as a vegetarian, I do use soya milk, but I don't eat many dairy products.

Really, I am looking for a short term solution, which is why I started using the OPI again. But as this doesn't appear to be working, can anyone suggest another brand? I have used prostrong and don't rate it.

Thanks.

I know it's not nails but bear with me. Louise i was having terrible trouble with my hair breaking when I was a vegetarian. I didn't assume it had anything to do with my diet as my nails were very strong. After an appt with Philip Kingsley the crux of the matter was my diet as well as excessive straightening.
he told me that lack of protein and iron were the main causes and that if you were a vegetarian and lacking in those you would either have weak hair or weak nails as the body has to provide all the other organs with the nutrients and your hair or nails would be the last to get it, if at all.
He told me you have to start the day with protein rich foods like eggs or smoked salmon as this will kick start your system.
I gave up my vegetarian principles, started eating a good breakfast with a lot of protein and i have to say the difference was dramatic. Coupled with my beloved ojon i know have strong healthy hair.
I really urge you to try a protein rich diet as it may work for your nails. Good luck

Last edited:
i didnt know that LE, coincidently ive been anemic for ages and not known and i have horrible weak nails!taking iron suppliments now but not long enough to see a difference yet!

louise66, i use opi nail envy which is ok it hardens them which they need, recently ive been useing qtica nail growth i cant remeber the name ill go off and find a link to it, but it really makes them grow fast and all the peeling out, its not a miricle i assure you but it does help

Last edited:
i didnt know that LE, coincidently ive been anemic for ages and not known and i have horrible weak nails!taking iron suppliments now but not long enough to see a difference yet!
louise66, i use opi nail envy which is ok it hardens them which they need, recently ive been useing qtica nail growth i cant remeber the name ill go off and find a link to it, but it really makes them grow fast and all the peeling out, its not a miricle i assure you but it does help

You can also take Gelatin in capsule form that helps as well. Pleased i got my £250 worth of advice from him:mysmilie_61:

OTR,I'd only let Dennis near my hair now :mysmilie_12: Seriously though try the gelatin capsules.

I got mine from PK. If you go to the website you can order them from there. Sorry i don't know how to put links in. They are called Gelatin capsuals and they're 650mg. I'm sure you can probably get them in health food shops as well. Good luck

Amongst other bits of PK, I had the protein tablets for Christmas. I haven't started them yet, but after reading this I think I will shovel them down my neck from tomorrow! I am on a mainly protein diet now anyway, so hoping this, plus the tablets, plus gelatin tablets maybe (?) will sort my nails out. My hair is much better already just by being back on the PK regime!

I had those capirossi, but they had a really horrible taste so i stopped taking them. You've just motivated me to get them out again as they're sitting gathering dust and apparantly they're brilliant for hair and nails.

Last edited:
I used to be a nail biter and always had weak nails, stopped biting in 2001, didn't take supplements but kept my nails just to the edge of my fingers for about 3 months and buffed the ridges every other week - bingo nails are very strong now, also used to use OPI nail envy but haven't for a good few months now, and haven't noticed any detriment.

Is there a vegetarian alternative?

I don't know I'm afraid, but i'm sure in health food shops they must have a vegetarian version of something similar. Alternatively the vegetarian society might be able to help.

Marilyn used to eat jelly cubes for her nails. I read that somewhere in my youth.

On the subject of the source of gelatine, I would have thought that "animal" is why it works for some.

clemenzina

Latest posts

Back