Yankee Candles - What's all the fuss about?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

RICKY S

Registered Shopper
Am I the only one who thinks Yankee Candles are way over-rated?!?!?
Bought a sampler set a couple of weeks ago to try.

Clean Cotton - I prefer Price's Open Window
Sea & Sand - Nothing Special.

Midnight Jasmine, After half hours burning I thought my throat was gonna close up. Nearly choked to death. Could still taste it in my mouth two days later!
Gave up after that and sent back.

Sorry if you love them, I just don't get what everyone raves about? :mysmilie_34:

No i think they are as well. I bought the clean cotton in Debenhams and was underwhelmed by it. I think they are very expensive for what they are.

I love them. I love candles in the winter anyway, but I love some of the fragrances, and some I can not stand ( generally the foody ones) so it is all down to individual taste I would have thought. Also find they last ages, and look great with the shades.
Had a baby powder given to me over Christmas and had that one burning yesterday. My son came down wondering what the smell was, asking me why the smell reminded him of his sister as a baby. I have the sandelwood at the moment in the lounge and even though it is not lit you can smell it when you go inside.

Also love the fact that although we have an artificial Christmas tree you can have the fragrance of a real one in the room. (when its Christmas of course, I do not have the tree up all year around lol)

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of clean cotton or midnight jasmine either as I only like the fruit or flower scents from Yankee. I have tried other makes and been disappointed with the way the wicks burn too quickly/candles tunnel or the lack of scent. Yankee are the only candles I've had any lasting success with :mysmilie_696:

Clean cotton and midnight Jasmine are two of my favourites. It just goes to show how different we all are! I can't stand the fruity or foody ones. I have one of the recent ,tsv jars burning at the moment, Beautiful Day. I'm loving it along with the other two. My kind of scents.

I love yankee candles and I have tried a lot of them.They last forever so I think they are worth the money.We are all different though so I respect your opinion...maybe you could try another couple of samplers in different fragrances?? One thing is that they are very true to life...I bet theres one out there somewhere you will like !!
I had a prices one for Christmas and we couldnt smell it at all.

Not a fan. I have had some usually bought for me.

Cheap oils in the candles for a start.
I hate candles that have food smells or household cotton things.
They for me are just boring. The lavender makes me laugh as it smells nothing like real lavender.

Diptyque are the creme de creme of candles. Very high essential oil content for a start and actually smell what it says on the box. The lilas in the summer is to die for.

I bought DayNa Decker candles in SpaceNK's sale. Fabulous candles with eco cool burning gel and woods. Juss of London too soya wax burns slower and more eco friendly. Just think of the toxic fumes people breath in from the cheap candles.

I love Yankee Candles but there are some fragrances that I cannot abide. The old jasmine one and the midnight jasmine both bring my migraines on and some of the ones with heavy cinnamon in them aggravate my asthma but overall I personally have a lot less problem with their scents than many other companies. Like Queenie I think that we all have such different tastes that it might be worth trying different fragrances. They really are very high quality candles. Perhaps you would like the more vanillery scents?

I love yankee and for me the one that you chose are not the best example - and yet for some people they are their faves! I have tried other candles and I find that other candles are inferior - although TBH,I use them more in the autumn winter and it takes me ages to get through a large jar.

They for me are just boring. The lavender makes me laugh as it smells nothing like real lavender.

Diptyque are the creme de creme of candles. Very high essential oil content for a start and actually smell what it says on the box. The lilas in the summer is to die for.

I bought DayNa Decker candles in SpaceNK's sale. Fabulous candles with eco cool burning gel and woods. Juss of London too soya wax burns slower and more eco friendly. Just think of the toxic fumes people breath in from the cheap candles.

I agree with you Donna, to me, Yankees smell like plug-in air fresheners. I love Dyptyque, Baies and Verveine are my favourite scents. I havn't tried either of the other makes you mention. Oooh, and there's a dyptyque that smells like fig trees that I am coveting after sniffing it at a friend's house...just gorgeous....

I agree with you Donna, to me, Yankees smell like plug-in air fresheners. I love Dyptyque, Baies and Verveine are my favourite scents. I havn't tried either of the other makes you mention. Oooh, and there's a dyptyque that smells like fig trees that I am coveting after sniffing it at a friend's house...just gorgeous....

Thats it!!!!! Cheap plug in air freshers

i find them very overated, the smell not very longlasting, but then again they do have their work cut out im my house with two dogs lots of curry, and dare i say it mother :mysmilie_17::mysmilie_17: have to fall back on detol spray especially in this weather with the widow all closed, though i do put bounce sheets on the rads, now that does work :mysmilie_698:

I lve some of the fragrances-the fresher ones in partic,loved some of the Christmas spicey ones,clean cotton I love and favourite is fresh cut roses. However I am not that impressed by the candles. I personally prefer the tarts,as the candles never seem to burn down properly for me,whilst the tarts seem to go on forever,just getting fainter after a while.Some of the Christmas tarts I burnt for 4-5 evenings before needing to change,and at the price I get them from yankeedoodle I think that's great value.

I bought DayNa Decker candles in SpaceNK's sale. Fabulous candles with eco cool burning gel and woods. Juss of London too soya wax burns slower and more eco friendly. Just think of the toxic fumes people breath in from the cheap candles.[/QUOfmoTE]

Diptyque candles are gorgeous but at around £38 for one small jar candle i think we need to get things in perspective and drop the snobbery. i was lucky enough to get a Jo Malone candle for christmas and it's lovely but there are equally nice (if not as sophisticated) Yankee scents.

yankee candles do exactly what they say on the tin.

Had large one as gift and ncie fragrance - also some tarts. But bought the clean cotton tart and thought awful. Like the Chirstmas pine type ones. Have a large candel and think it will go on forever - though son hates it!
Tarts are good way to find if you like the smells. They look pretty though - have a nice shade with mine.

I don't think they're over-rated at all. I've tried other candles and have received other (cheaper) brands as pressies, and Yankee are far superior. I have my favourites like most of you, and know by now what they are. So I'll keep buying them as they last and last and the fragnances are true to life. I've got Gingerbread burning at the moment. Lovely!!

I bought DayNa Decker candles in SpaceNK's sale. Fabulous candles with eco cool burning gel and woods. Juss of London too soya wax burns slower and more eco friendly. Just think of the toxic fumes people breath in from the cheap candles.[/QUOfmoTE]

Diptyque candles are gorgeous but at around £38 for one small jar candle i think we need to get things in perspective and drop the snobbery. i was lucky enough to get a Jo Malone candle for christmas and it's lovely but there are equally nice (if not as sophisticated) Yankee scents.

yankee candles do exactly what they say on the tin.

Awww, there was certainly no snobbery on my part, BB - heck, I wear Kim and own a Quacker jacket! :mysmilie_61:I do have a "thing" about smells, but one of my favourite perfumes is a really cheap one.However, Yankee candles smell like plug-ins to me, I can't help that any more than the people who love the scents can. I would rather have one Diptyque than a dozen yankees and that's the way it works out as they are terribly expensive.

I don't think you can really compare the likes of Jo Malone and Diptyque with Yankee. I use to quite like Kenneth Turner candles - nice quality without the very high price tag. Don't buy any candles now after I've realised how dirty they make my walls & ceilings - have moved on to reed diffusers.

I love the reed diffusers too and Darl's tarts are wonderful:mysmilie_698:
I do like some Yankees but also can't bear some (candles that is!):mysmilie_17:

For me a good candle is a treat, usually bought with christmas or birthday money. So I invest in quality.

The candles I bought in SpaceNK where down from £42 to £15 and burn for 72 hours, they look so much smaller than the Yankee but as I said burn cooler because good essential oils which throw out a better smell.

Yankee bang on about how they perfume the whole candle, all reasonably priced candles are. But they do not smell like real lavander,lilac etc its because its synthetic perfume oil they use. With Yankee its oh look how big that candle is for £16 or cheaper as many shops sell them 25% off. Yankee got themselves good advertising when they started and corned the market. Kenneth Turner candles are just as good as has been said.

I used to buy fabulous candles from my local TKMaxx, Armani, Penhaligons, Miller Harris at anything from £5-£14. People just look to see Yankee.

Latest posts

Back