how is this different

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

vegasplayer

Registered Shopper
hi all,

me and OH sat flicking around the channels this morning

i thought i heard the man with the beard that runs this channel saying that prices will genuinely drop until everyone is in

well, i've just seen the young man auction a pink topaz bracelet and talk about more and more people on the phones, he said i'll have to end it and told people to just stay on the phones

doesn't that mean that no-one actually took it and they want to move on without making the price lower

i rememember the man with the beard on the wine channel. it does seem to me that the way this channel is the same. great unbelievable offers to start to get you in, then prices going up - then no more live channel.

so has anyone else notice that things are changing already

Steve (the man with the beard) has said a number of times that to gain new viewers and customers he has decided to bring prices rock bottom - but I can't help get the feeling that viewers and customers will be come acustom to this level of pricing and won't be too willing to pay more for pieces if prices increase gradually up till Christmas.

Steve is differentiating his venture from the other jewellery shopping channels.....ie being a genuine reverse auction.This means that they are not using clocks and they will reduce the price until all items are sold...however,he has also stated that if no-one comes in then they will pull the auction.
Basically as soon as one person has confirmed then the auction is activated and the price will drop until all items gone,this does not happen on the other jewellery channels,they will put a clock on and end the auction at the price they wish to sell.

If there is only one item in the auction then you have to phone up.Sometimes the auction will end without it being sold during the presentation,but as I understand it there is nothing to stop anyone phoning them and ordering said item later on at the price it ended at.

Whilst he is building his business there will of course be fantastic prices,as there has been ever since Rocks.tv started on the internet.I have bought items that were less than cost but am realistic enough to know that this wouldn't last long term,no busibness can sustain that.

It also has to be said that many people do not only buy because of price,service goes a long way to the choice of business I choose to use and this is were Steve Bennett excels in my opinion,plus I also like the way it is presented to me,I enjoy the format and the interactivity.If I am watching then there is more chance I will buy and that is also key.I used to watch GTV but very rarely now,if am not watching I am not going to be buying am I.

So all it needs is for people to tune in....if I like the product and I like the price I will buy,simple really.

He is doing something right as I have been a customer from the days of beta testing and in just short of 2 years he now has a TV shopping channel.

Long may Rocks.tv continue I say :mysmilie_82:

It's how it started on the Web too...and makes perfect commercial sense. The prices did go up, but not rediculously so, and almost 2 years later, I still won't buy jewellry from anywhere else, because they can't offer the value, service or range of gem stone and styles that I demand. Steve has been very open about his desire to get people through the door, but the Customer Service, the continued value, and the quality of what people receive is what will keep them there.

The format is that the price on an auction will drop. Rocks will continue dropping the price until the 'Auction is Activated' which means that a phone bidder comes in and buys it, or a web buyer presses their bid button. If no one comes in and they have taken the price down as low as they can, they reserve the right to pull the auction. However, once the auction is activated, they are committed to selling all the pieces in that auction, and to achieve this, continue dropping the price.

Hope that makes sense???

Steve (the man with the beard) has said a number of times that to gain new viewers and customers he has decided to bring prices rock bottom - but I can't help get the feeling that viewers and customers will be come acustom to this level of pricing and won't be too willing to pay more for pieces if prices increase gradually up till Christmas.

I think any new business/venture will often have "opening deals" to attract new customers in, new high street stores for example "XYZ TV at £*** for first ten customers" or whatever! I don't think Steve Bennett is any different, as a shrewd businessman, i'm sure he realises that once a customer buys for the first time, if the product and price is right there's a very good chance of return business! Regular buyers from Rocks will have taken advantage in the past of "beta testing bargains" and will be well aware these were only temporary offers, that said i believe Rocks regular pricing is great value anyway.

I think any new business/venture will often have "opening deals" to attract new customers in, new high street stores for example "XYZ TV at £*** for first ten customers" or whatever! I don't think Steve Bennett is any different, as a shrewd businessman, i'm sure he realises that once a customer buys for the first time, if the product and price is right there's a very good chance of return business! Regular buyers from Rocks will have taken advantage in the past of "beta testing bargains" and will be well aware these were only temporary offers, that said i believe Rocks regular pricing is great value anyway.

Agree Tabs!! As I said, when the channel started, it was the same, although the format was very different!! I am sure all those who were there at the time would agree!!

....ooo and on a vaguely related note, when I say 'all those who were there at the time' I mean the people who were REALLY there when Rocks first started, not the people who say in chat that they were there when Rocks first started in order to gain Kudos with the newbies, but actually came along a good few months later. Not going to mention any names as public humiliation ain't my style, but the people doing it know who they are, and frankly, its a wee bit sad and very annoying!!!!

Agree Tabs!! As I said, when the channel started, it was the same, although the format was very different!! I am sure all those who were there at the time would agree!!

....ooo and on a vaguely related note, when I say 'all those who were there at the time' I mean the people who were REALLY there when Rocks first started, not the people who say in chat that they were there when Rocks first started in order to gain Kudos with the newbies, but actually came along a good few months later. Not going to mention any names as public humiliation ain't my style, but the people doing it know who they are, and frankly, its a wee bit sad and very annoying!!!!

Oh no. I don't do chat lately as I've noticed a secondary school playground atmosphere about it, and primary was much more my style :mysmilie_701:. I'm really sad though to hear that it has reached this sort of "I was 'ere first" level (false or otherwise). Saying that for kudos? Desperate or what, and certainly not a conducive atmosphere to encourage newbies, nevermind losing oldies.

I'm still a happy customer though, and am very much liking the telly format as I can see what's on so much better. I just have the telly on with a minimised window open on me lappie for a quick bid when required. This is great too as it leaves me lappie free for other stuff. I hope it works for them. xxxxxxxx

PS Is that norty step still warm?

As cosy as ever, Arygey...my butt has barely been off it!!! lol!!!

Like I said, public humiliation isn't my style, and I wouldn't have said anything on a public forum naming names EVER. Mira, you have my respect for standing up and saying you are one of the people that do it. It takes a big person to do that. :mysmilie_82:

...you are not the only person that does it, by the way!! :mysmilie_61:

I simply don't see the need to do it. You mention that you say it purely to reassure the new buyers, but surely whether you have been with Rocks for 18 or 8 months, it doesn't make a difference. The important thing is that you are a long term repeat customer??

Hiyers Myra - for myself, when you say you have been here from the start (and most of the other originals) I understand completely that you are saying it by way of recommendation to newbies, and plenty must be interested to hear that. My ears (virtual) pricked up when PR was saying that some peeps are fibbing and using this as a way of gaining "kudos". Niow that's the sort of behaviour I find extremely odd and off-putting. xxxxxx

Like I said, public humiliation isn't my style, and I wouldn't have said anything on a public forum naming names EVER. Mira, you have my respect for standing up and saying you are one of the people that do it. It takes a big person to do that. :mysmilie_82:

I simply don't see the need to do it. [B]You mention that you say it purely to reassure the new buyers, but surely whether you have been with Rocks for 18 or 8 months, it doesn't make a difference. The important thing is that you are a long term repeat customer??[[/B]/QUOTE]

I don't see what's wrong with mentioning that you have been there since dot, this will be interesting to many I'm sure. It's all in the context and honesty. xxxxx

Apologies

I simply don't see the need to do it. You mention that you say it purely to reassure the new buyers, but surely whether you have been with Rocks for 18 or 8 months, it doesn't make a difference. The important thing is that you are a long term repeat customer??

:mysmilie_348:I only tell the truth at all times PR you should know that..
and I hope I'll never change..honesty is the best policy..and all that..
my apologies if what ive said in chat is a bug bear :)

Seemingly just lately I'm annoying no end of people,so will keep :mysmilie_11: from now on..I'll just watch, as there are plenty there to help and guide the new people along.. If I sound like i'm feeling sorry for my self you'd be right, Ive been using chat to take my mind off a lot of things, whilst typing i'm not thinking...I didn't realise I was annoying anyone.

Mirabelle x

I simply don't see the need to do it. [B]You mention that you say it purely to reassure the new buyers, but surely whether you have been with Rocks for 18 or 8 months, it doesn't make a difference. The important thing is that you are a long term repeat customer??[[/B]/QUOTE]

I don't see what's wrong with mentioning that you have been there since dot, this will be interesting to many I'm sure. It's all in the context and honesty. xxxxx

The only problem I could foresee was if someone turned around and said 'No you haven't' to ANY of the NUMEROUS people who have been saying it. This may lead the new people to then doubt ALL of the excellent advice that long standing members of the Rocks communitee offer.

....plus, it really does pee me off because a number of people that do it, DO only do it because they want to get a big ooooo off the new people!!

I'd say yes amf

Have you been buying with Rocks since the beta testing weekend then Mirabelle?

Hi amf... I've watched rocks from coming on the web on the weekend of friday July 24th 08, I registered and bought the following week, so yes I see it as I have been there since begining hun :)

Mirabelle x

The only problem I could foresee was if someone turned around and said 'No you haven't' to ANY of the NUMEROUS people who have been saying it. This may lead the new people to then doubt ALL of the excellent advice that long standing members of the Rocks communitee offer.

....plus, it really does pee me off because a number of people that do it, DO only do it because they want to get a big ooooo off the new people!!

I may be missing your point PR, but I'm sure most peeps who venture into chat are big enough and ugly enough to figure out who's genuine and who ain't. I'm not sure it really matters that much. Chat is after all just that, it's not the World Gemopaedia. I'm sure any genuine attempts to help are easily recognisable and it's not as if, on the whole, folk asking questions are going to start off by spending thousands. A friendly response and some sociability is far more likely to get them back, than a cool and 100% accuracy rate. Even Steve gets it wong from time to time but I'm sure we can all tell that he's been there from the beginning and is not a newbie in disguise :mysmilie_61: xxxx

:mysmilie_348:I only tell the truth at all times PR you should know that..
and I hope I'll never change..honesty is the best policy..and all that..
my apologies if what ive said in chat is a bug bear :)

Seemingly just lately I'm annoying no end of people,so will keep :mysmilie_11: from now on..I'll just watch, as there are plenty there to help and guide the new people along.. If I sound like i'm feeling sorry for my self you'd be right, Ive been using chat to take my mind off a lot of things, whilst typing i'm not thinking...I didn't realise I was annoying anyone.

Mirabelle x

Mirabelle, it's Fruityloopyone here....please don't stop doing just what you're doing, and have been doing for such a long time.

I certainly appreciate it very much, and I know that Steve does too! I have heard him mention your name no end of times when he has been presenting, saying how fantastic you are in the chatroom. What higher praise do you need?

I have no idea who has moaned, or what they've said, but please ignore them and don't take anything personally. You are an honorary member of the Rocks.tv family, and should be on the payroll in my honest opinion!

Sometimes I miss what is said, and you are always there to tell me what size something is which is vital for me to make the decision on whether to press the buy button or not.

If anyone has upset you by what has been said, send them over to me and I'll put all my Rocks.tv rings on one hand and sock them in the kisser!! Seriously, please don't be upset or lose heart at what you do so kindly for us all.

Oh, and by the way, I also have been there from day one, but can't see what kudos can be gained by saying you were if you weren't....it just doesn't make any sense to me. I think I've only said it once in chat and that was because someone asked me.

There will always be people who like to stir. Let them get on with it, ignore them and carry on being an honorary Rockstar.

Love

Fruityloopyone
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

well, there have been some intresting moments in chat over the last week, not to mention a few shall we say....rather blunt people who typed messages that seemed rather unkind and unthinking.....this is always gonna happen and its not nice, who remembers Gems tv chat room years ago when it all crashed and burned in a rather horrid way...personaly the only posts that I find annoying are the ones who say how many thousands they have spent! thats all well and good but I don't need to know! mira,please contiue to be in the chat room, you are expected to be there! I mean, what would we do for information if you don't provide it! I very nearly told everyone inthere to chill out the other day! pass round the chill pills and get back to the bling but I was dumped of line by my puter just in time! :)

Latest posts

Back