Demantoid garnet

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Greenie

Addicted to bling
I posted a while ago about wanting a Demantoid Garnet ring and one I was considering. Well, I didn’t go for that one in the end but bought this instead:

http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=UQV2127&category=preweb&colourScheme=9

It is absolutely stunning and I love it to bits. It’s a one carat stone and it’s true what they say, it does rival a diamond for the fire factor.

However, I now have another dilemma! I am lusting after a bigger one! I have in my basket a Namibian Demantoid Garnet ring with diamonds. The garnet is 7mm round and 1.39 carats. The diamonds are only tiny (6 x 0.194 carats and 6 x 0.044 carats). It’s set in 2.92g of 18k white gold. But it’s priced at £1,150.

I understand that the bigger the carat weight of a demantoid garnet, the rarer it is so it will command a higher price, but is this a fair price for this ring? Is it right that a 1.39 carat should be a thousand pounds more than a 0.5 carat?

Greenie, first up I'm no expert! The price seems a lot but it really depends on the quality. Yes, over a carat is sought after and it does look gorgeous but it's so hard to tell from their touched up photos. For that money I would want it to be eye clean, the Namibian demantoid doesn't have the horsetail inclusions and be a strong apple green.

I bought a 2 carat demantoid from Gems for £699 about 2 years ago and it was khaki green and slightly included. Having said that, I would have to send for it and if it knocked my socks off I would keep it. I've always said that the asking price is secondary if you really love it, a bit extra won't matter if it's the one for you. Demantoid does have a knack of pulling on the heart strings!

It really is a shame Meesh can't help, she gave me good advice when I bought mine, again I say I'm no expert by a long shot. Not much practical help I'm afraid.

Greenie, first up I'm no expert! The price seems a lot but it really depends on the quality. Yes, over a carat is sought after and it does look gorgeous but it's so hard to tell from their touched up photos. For that money I would want it to be eye clean, the Namibian demantoid doesn't have the horsetail inclusions and be a strong apple green.

I bought a 2 carat demantoid from Gems for £699 about 2 years ago and it was khaki green and slightly included. Having said that, I would have to send for it and if it knocked my socks off I would keep it. I've always said that the asking price is secondary if you really love it, a bit extra won't matter if it's the one for you. Demantoid does have a knack of pulling on the heart strings!

It really is a shame Meesh can't help, she gave me good advice when I bought mine, again I say I'm no expert by a long shot. Not much practical help I'm afraid.

I know, she really is sorely missed. Rocks & Co sold a demantoid garnet and diamond ring yesterday. The carat weight of the dg was a bit bigger at 1.6ct and it had more diamonds but the price was nearer £2,000 I seem to remember. So this makes the Gems ring look fairly priced - unless the Rocks one was overpriced?

I think the only thing you can do is get it home and if you fall head over heals for it then keep it but if you still umm and arr over the price then send it back x

Well, it arrived today! It is a beautiful ring but to be honest, I prefer my smaller one (the 0.5 carat mentioned previously). The colour of the larger one is a darker green (not as dark as in their picture) but my smaller one does sparkle better. I would definitely keep it if it was cheaper but for that kind of money, it doesn't knock my socks off and I haven't fallen head over heels for it so will probably be returning it.

Well at least you've satisfied your curiosity Greenie, and won't be wondering if you've missed something lovely.

That's right, if I hadn't have seen it in the flesh, I would always be wondering.

Quick question to help aid my decision:

Which is rarer, a 1ct Namibian Demantoid Garnet or a 1ct Tanzanite?

That's what I thought! :mysmilie_697:

If Tanzanite is meant to be a thousand times rarer than diamonds, what does that make a Namibian demantoid garnet?! :mysmilie_17:

My other alternative would be to save up and buy a green diamond (heated not coated). There was one on Rocks & Co last week which looked so gorgeous it literally made my heart beat fast! If I had the money, I would have gone for it! :mysmilie_374:

That's what I thought! :mysmilie_697:

If Tanzanite is meant to be a thousand times rarer than diamonds, what does that make a Namibian demantoid garnet?! :mysmilie_17:

My other alternative would be to save up and buy a green diamond (heated not coated). There was one on Rocks & Co last week which looked so gorgeous it literally made my heart beat fast! If I had the money, I would have gone for it! :mysmilie_374:

Ask Sacha for a peek at her green diamond its amazing :mysmilie_374:

Latest posts

Back