Oops - get your mistresses right, Dale!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Nicky-j

Registered Shopper
Dale is just showing the marquise cut which he claims is named after the Marquise de Pompadour (which it is) but she was not the 'young lady' of Napoleon, now was she? We all know (from far too many hours of watching QVC) that she was the mistress of Louis XV. In fact, Dale, she died before Napoleon was even born! Oh well, at least he was trying to be educational!

Hmm well it makes a change from other channels telling us that she was the mistress of the Sun King - Louis xiv..... I think she was 3 or 4 when he died. :mysmilie_73:

I have to say I am so sad that I text them when they do it!!!! :mysmilie_17:

I noticed this historical error too, I knew this before watching QVC, however I can amaze my friends with my knowledge of gem cuts as a result of too much viewing. We were gazing awe struck at some stunning POA diamonds in town today and I was able to witter on about baguette cuts and bezel settings. So sitting slumped in front of an hour of dimonique not really a waste of time. This shop also had some yellow diamonds, oh they were so beautiful, sorry but the dimonique version is nothing like the real thing!

Talking of QVC and education in the same breath, I was able to answer a question on University Challenge (watching it on BBC 2 not participating) about the scale on which the hardness of precious stones is measured ! I can't spell it though (Moe, Mohe, Moeh etc etc)

Linda :mysmilie_12:

Talking of QVC and education in the same breath, I was able to answer a question on University Challenge (watching it on BBC 2 not participating) about the scale on which the hardness of precious stones is measured ! I can't spell it though (Moe, Mohe, Moeh etc etc)

Linda :mysmilie_12:

Think it's spelt Mohs scale...I think ;)

Think it's spelt Mohs scale...I think ;)

yep youre quite right........
just in case anyones interested......

Diamond 10
Corundum 9
Topaz 8
Quartz 7
Orthoclase (Feldspar) 6
Apatite 5
Fluorite 4
Calcite 3
Gypsum 2
Talc 1