Arrrrggghhhh Tautology

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Artemis

I'm a Kitchen Aid Maid!
Sorry but I just HAVE to vent. Nearly all the presenters do it but it was particularly obvious just now when Caroline referred to "these ones", followed immediately by Simon saying "Sorry, those ones have now gone." It is these or those , the "ones" are superfluous. It's not a regional thing, merely very bad grammar and it makes me cross!...:mysmilie_73::mysmilie_73:

* stomps off muttering *

Yes but I've posted on the other thread who does she sound like ?
Perhaps someone who does a voice over it's bugging me.
If I can't think of it soon I'm going to have to turn her off. :mysmilie_73:

I don't like "for free" when afaik it should be just "free". I didn't get taught no grammar at school so the few things I know I am conscious of. I'm also conscious of how to the present day my mother would at least berate me for mistakes. I can't spell for toffee though.

I think the lady is easier on my ears than Dawn or Amy but then so is a chainsaw.

I don't like "for free" when afaik it should be just "free". I didn't get taught any grammar at school so the few things I know I am conscious of. I'm also conscious of how to the present day my mother would at least berate me for mistakes. I can't spell for toffee though.

I think the lady is easier on my ears than Dawn or Amy but then so is a chainsaw.

There that's better :mysmilie_698:

I totally agree Artemis. Bad grammar appears to be the norm, it's not as if they are small children learning to converse, they are grown people. The English language has gone downhill since my childhood and text words...let's not go there!! xx

Sorry but I just HAVE to vent. Nearly all the presenters do it but it was particularly obvious just now when Caroline referred to "these ones", followed immediately by Simon saying "Sorry, those ones have now gone." It is these or those , the "ones" are superfluous. It's not a regional thing, merely very bad grammar and it makes me cross!...:mysmilie_73::mysmilie_73:

* stomps off muttering *

Couldn't agree more. My other pet hate is when people say you get something for free. "Free" is not a noun. You get something for nothing or you get it free.

* stomps off muttering to join Artemis *

Edit to add : Must have been writing this at the same time as your post, Vampy. :mysmilie_81:

Was/is sat there. Arrrrrrrrgh. Claire actually said "I'm seated here" the other day and was delighted :D
It's everywhere, Jeremy Thompson who really fancies himself as a superior being says it repeatedly.

One of Claire's phrases is "returning back", either return or go back but not both! Another that bugs me is "very unique", if it's unique then it's unique no more to be said.:mysmilie_73:

This when it should be these or the other way around, am I correct, I only just scraped through my CSE's?

I know I'm rubbish at English.

The constant misuse of 'myself' - ... 'myself and Jane will be back after the break'. Nooo, Jane and I will be back after the break after I've looked at myself in a mirror!! Also: 'there IS only three left'. Why do so many people seem to think that because they use 'there' somehow they don't need to pluralize the verb?
And finally: the use of 'lay'. A chicken lays an egg or you can lay a table, you do not lay on a bed, you lie on it!
Grrr, stomps off to a corner pulling out my hair!

Some of these usages don't bother me in the spoken word - they can be colloquial or regional. However, 'comprises OF' always jarrs!!

:mysmilie_17:ye but no but ye but no like was kinda myself n chardonny kinda like

:mysmilie_698: please ignore myself

Thank you Artemis!

I have loads of bugbears with grammar - infer and imply really get my goat!

However, I have to confess that I might be guilty of the one you mention in your opening post. It's difficult to think of what I'd say in the circumstances. Yikes, I'd probably say it! :mysmilie_34:

Never again, of course! :mysmilie_687:

:mysmilie_17: i have to confess when i saw the title Arrrrggghhhh Tautology i thought it was a post reviewing the electronic pelvic toner job

Latest posts

Back