Honora - Too much hype!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Gem Genie

Registered Shopper
Don't get me wrong. I love the programmes. I own several pieces too. But.....

I remember the time when pearls were expected to be round, not rondel, not baroque and certainly not ringed. If by chance you came across anything with rings on it would be regarded as a reject.

Now Ralph expects us to accept these as the norm.

You wouldn't catch the Queen or Mrs Obama wearing ring pearls.

If the top 3% of Honora pearls are ringed then gosh only knows what the other 97% are like.

We're being duped to accept these things.

Why can't he just say that perfect pearls cost thousands and that if we everyday ladies want to wear pearls then we have to accept the ringed ones and the baroques?

Strange though, haven't you noticed that sometimes a necklace will appear which doesn't seem to have rings at all and yet it is reasonably priced? So how can he justify the high prices for the mis-shapen ones.

Like I say, I have quite a few Honora pieces but I buy what I like and not just because of what Ralph says. I have had pieces from other places at a fraction of the price and with just the same lustre and with gold findings.

I absolutely, completely & totally couldn't agree with you more Gem Genie! :mysmilie_687:

Some of the designs are very pretty but most are just dyed, misshapen pearls, nothing special at all, little more than costume jewellery really although I imagine the pieces sold in their 'boutiques' bear little resemblance to the 'jewellery for the masse' items we get to see on QVC! :mysmilie_11:

Another thing I was told was never to knot pearls as they could scratch and even break. My teeth are on edge when I see that awful Claire person jabbering away and knotting everything.

I know she isn't presenting the programme today but I can just see her in my mind's eye doing it and it makes me wince.

Yes, as far as the ringed pearls are concerned. Just horrendous. They may be 'good value', but totally carp. You can also get exceptional value at the '£1 stores'.
No, re some pieces, at least the ones I buy.

Some of their items are lovely though, I bought one of the DDs a pair of drop teal earrings (oddly enough these were rather looked down on by many Honora fans! lol) & she adores them & has had loads of admiring comments from people when wearing them!
She also has a pair of stud earrings a friend gave me & again, she loves them & wears them all the time but some of their ringed pearl necklaces are definitely pushing it a bit I think!

Some of their items are lovely though, I bought one of the DDs a pair of drop teal earrings (oddly enough these were rather looked down on by many Honora fans! lol) & she adores them & has had loads of admiring comments from people when wearing them!
She also has a pair of stud earrings a friend gave me & again, she loves them & wears them all the time but some of their ringed pearl necklaces are definitely pushing it a bit I think!

One would not spend £16 for this type of earrings and buy pearl and SS. They are a lovely accessory, but what we seem to get lately is all types of necklaces and bracelets made of ringed pearls. See for instance, the bracelet/necklace set on offer today. These were not just ringed; more like an amorphous mass. I would not be seen dead with these on.

The other thing that makes me sceptical...Do you remember the TSV below (graduated rondel 45cm necklace)?

Where I work in Paris (posh area), they have an open market. Once, I strolled through it during lunch time. There was a stall selling real pearls and they had this one (ungraduated, different clasp not sure if SS) on offer for 15 euros. I got really annoyed when I saw it and I regret that I did not buy it.

Course, I realise that it's only in recent years that we have had so much choice of real pearls what with the Chinese exporting so many of the freshwater types. In the 80's when these started to become popular, they were mainly of the seed pearl type and not the large round ones.

Our mothers were lucky if they were bought a gift of decent Lotus or Stratton simulated ones. My own Mother had some Majorica simulated pearls and these, strangely enough were quite expensive at the time.

Other companies on the shopping channels manage to sell some really nicely rounded FW pearls at very reasonable prices. I suppose it's like most things, you are paying for the name with Honora.

I bought a string of 10/11mm white pearls from TJC about a month ago for £14.95,inc £5 voucher,they are gorgeous,not perfect ,but at the price fabulous.
Can anyone imagine Ralph selling this size at this price?
I believe their prices for the stuff they are selling is way too high.

totally agree about the ringed pearls, would never buy them as in my eyes they just look faulty. I love pearls and have a few Honora bits but have had trouble with the ear rings, have lost a few as they just drop out and I will not buy ear rings from this collection again. Like watching the shows tho

I absolutely love ringed pearls....and baroque....and coin.... and potato....need I go on?? :mysmilie_61:

Perfectly spherical pearls are indeed beautiful and classic but I also love the different shaped pearls that are offered to us as well......ovals,ringed,baroque,keshi etc etc some great looks can be created from these that keep my jewellery wardrobe interesting and it's usually these that get the most compliments too.:)

There is a place for all of them,one mans meat and all that!!!

I have one of the famous floating necklaces, bought last century. They are perfectly round and flawless to the eye.

Agree about the ebay stores from China, I usually buy earrings and they are totally gorgeous and undyed too!!!!! Natural lavender and lilac drops with 9ct gold.

I absolutely love ringed pearls....and baroque....and coin.... and potato....need I go on?? :mysmilie_61:

I'm with you on these - I love the different shapes and colours of pearls and wish I could invest in more.

The comment earlier on about Michelle Obama not wearing ringed pearls seems a bit of a leap - she famously doesn't even mind if her pearls are fake - just ask another QVC brand - Kenneth Jay Lane!

I love Honora pearls because I could never get on with white, round pearls - they just don't suit me - I'm very, very fair and they just look weird on me but the colours allow me to enjoy the lustre and I love the ever-changing combinations.

I really don't like the ringed pearls, even though I'm not smart enough to wear pearls (aging hippy:mysmilie_81:) I do have a couple of the bracelets and I think Honora pearls are pretty good for the price. Lee Sands are even better value (does he still come on btw?)
I did have the floating necklace and that was gorgeous......until it broke:mysmilie_81:

Love coloured pearls. I think you get what you pay for to some extent...have bought from Honora and had some great ones and some not very great. Have bought from another TV/internet gems channel and they sell them really cheap...but most of the time they look really cheap.
Would love a link to a good, trusted EBay seller!

I loved lee sands in his day - occassionally see some of his stuff on with a guest presenter.

I don't have much honora - quite odd considering I love pearls and quite like watching the honora shows.

I do have one necklace which is almost identical to a lee sands one I own.Huge price differnece though from what i remember!!

I do quite like the rainforest on special price (I think) they've shown a quick peek of in this hour - but i agree the pearls shown these days are not the ones you used to aspire to!

Personally, the ringed pearls are one of my favourites. I am 28, and I love the modern styles and colours which honora are coming out with. Yes, some might be seen as overpriced compared with buying direct from china, but I do find honora to be good quality, with the exception of a coin necklace that I bought. I have the coins in 2 colours, the honey is lovely but the berry is too lumpy and custard like on the surface of the nacre. Not so good quality control on this particular piece.

I think honora are trying to appeal to the mass market by making their product different to the stuffy image of twin set and pearls that doesn't appeal to younger generations perhaps. I was never attracted by pearl jewellery until I discovered the innovative designs that honora are coming out with. I've ordered the super bargain price royale set today, but definitely want those new indigos!

Latest posts

Back