AY may possibly burst a blood vessel if she picks up Cosmo this month...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

barbedwire

Registered Shopper
Interesting article in this month's Cosmo which may make Alison Young cough up another little furball of hate!

They've done a piece about dispelling skincare myths - and what the truth is behind certain rumours or things that we've had drummed into us over the years. There was some interesting info about AHAs and Glycolics and a little piece from Fiona from Decleor about skin dehydration but there was one very interesting one:

Apparently applying sunscreen or SPFs on a daily basis actually may prove more dangerous for our skin than not. Most SPFs et al contain something called Oxybenzone which if applied regularly and in a high enough content (usually in the higher SPFs) can actually have the effect of killing off anti-oxidants in the skin/body and also stop any topical ones that are applied from working properly. The article says to stick to a relatively low SPF 15 than a high one of 50 or 60, otherwise it may do more harm than good...

I can see AY having apoplexy as I type...:mysmilie_34:

LOL! I can just imagine that, since she is always extolling the viryues of high sun protection for the face!

When I first started watching QVC, it used to amaze me how much significance was given to certain skin care products - when most of us know that what we put inside our bodies, coupled with life style factors such as sleep and exercise, have much more impact on the skin.

But I guess information like that just doesn't sell little jars of really presteeeegious, luxururious skin care.

There was an article in the news this week stating that our skn ageing has little to do with the types of creams we use and more to do with lifestyle, and that if we are ill or go through trauma we can in fact age overnight.

On another line, I know peple that have only ever used Nivea, and I'm taling when there was only one type of Nivea cream and they had the most beautiful skin, they weren't related either, except to me by relationship.

Apparently applying sunscreen or SPFs on a daily basis actually may prove more dangerous for our skin than not. Most SPFs et al contain something called Oxybenzone which if applied regularly and in a high enough content (usually in the higher SPFs) can actually have the effect of killing off anti-oxidants in the skin/body and also stop any topical ones that are applied from working properly. The article says to stick to a relatively low SPF 15 than a high one of 50 or 60, otherwise it may do more harm than good...

I avoid skincare products that contain Oxybenzone & also do not use chemical sunscreen for the same reason - a physical sunblock instead (such as Liz Earle) which utilises titanium dioxide & zinc oxide as a physical block is a far healthier option, even if does leave a bit of a ghostly veil & even the good ones do a bit! lol

Oxybenzone is an unpleasant little beastie & it is usually easy to spot if something contains it as it is generally found at the bottom of the ingredients list preceded by a 'warning'!
Of the many ranges QVC sells, some Clientele iproducts contains Oxybenzone for one & I'm sure there are others.......?

Oxybenzone is the SPF in Sarah Chapman's skincare range. I didn't know too much about it but that put me off trying her range as I try to avoid chemical sunscreens (skin ractions, prickly heat etc).

That being said there will probably be more research next week that says we should use higher SPF's this sort of research contradicts itself all the time.

Hope this helps. doesn't seem to contain oxybenzone but some of the other ingredients sounds interesting - what the blazes is boron?!

ultrasun SPF28
Aqua, lecithin, alcohol, dent, propylene glycol, octyl methoxycinnamate, methylene blis-binzotriazolyl tetramethylbutylphenol, butylmethoxydibenzoyl, methane, titanium dioxide, dimethicone, polyacrylamide/c13-14.isoparaffin/ laureth-7, phenoxy, ethanol, alumina, simethicone, methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, bht, sodium methylparaben, sodium dehy-droacetate, sorbic acid, tetra, sodium edta, disodlium edta, tocopheryl acetate.

Ultrasun SPF17
Aqua, lecithin, alcohol, dent, propylene glycol, octyl methoxycinnamate, methylene blis-binzotriazolyl tetramethylbutylphenol, butylmethoxydibenzoyl, methane, titanium dioxide, dimethicone, polyacrylamide / c13-14.isoparaffin/ laureth-7, phenoxy, ethanol, alumina, simethicone, methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, bht, sodium methylparaben, sodium dehy-droacetate, sorbic acid, tetra, sodium edta, disodlium edta, tocopheryl acetate

Ultrasun reflex factor 30 for kids and sensitve- this one is mineral based
IP 30 UVA 99% - Aqua, Cetearyl Isononanoate, Titanium Dioxide, Dicaprylyl Ether, Propylene Glycol, Zinc Oxide, Octyldecanol, Polyglyceryl-2, Dipolyhydroxystearate, Glycerin, Glycine Soja, Alumina, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Stearate, Cera Alba, Glyceryl Oleate, Panthenol, Simethicone, Super Oxide Dismutase, Lactoperoxidase, Phospholipids

Ultrasun SPF20 -sports formula I think
Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Aqua, Octyl Dimethyl Paba, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Polyquaternium-11, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Hydroxypropylcellulose, Tocopheryl Acetate

Ultrasun Face 30 Contains:
AQUA, PHOSPOLIPIDES, ALCOHOL, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, METHYLENE BIS-BENZO-TRIAZOLYL TETRAMETHYLBUTYLPHENOL, BUTYL METHOXYDI-BENZOYLMETHANE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, SODIUM ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, BORON NITRIDE, ECTOIN, ALUMINA, SUPEROXIDE DISMUTASE, LACTOPEROXIDASE, GLYCERIN, XANTHAN GUM, PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM, DIMETHICONE, DECYL GLUCOSIDE, PPG-1 TRICEDETH-6, TETRASODIUM EDTA, DISODIUM EDTA, PHENOXYETHANOL, SODIUM METHYLPARABEN, SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE, SORBIC ACID, METHYLPARABEN, ETHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN.

Ultrasun SPF 50+ high strength sun cream
Ingredients: Aqua • Octocrylene • Alcohol • glycerin • butyl methoxydibenzoyl-methane • titanium dioxide • c12-15 alkyl benzoate • dibutyl adipate • pvp/eicosene copolymer • diethylhexyl butamido triazone • tocopheryl acetate • panthenol • butyrospermum parkii butter • bisabolol • lactoperoxidase • lecithin • superoxide dismutase • acrylates/c10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer • bisethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine • carbomer • disodium EDTA • ethylhexylglycerin • silica • sodium hydroxide • dimethicone.

http://www.ifsogo.com/Holiday/Ultra...8ddab00b87c8aebc.e3eSc3aPaxmLe34Pa38Ta38Mb3b0

Size:- - No size information available
Volume:- - No volume information is available with this product.
Material:-

Instructions:-

Ingredients:-
Ultrasun Protection 20 Contains:

ALCOHOL DENAT., PROPYLENE GLYCOL, AQUA, OCTYL DIMETHYL PABA, OCTYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, POLYQUATERNIUM-11, BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE, HYDROXYPROPYLCELLULOSE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE

ooh I miss the thanks button, this is all very interesting. Slightly off topic but I have been using E45 facial moisteriser due to being on an economy drive. While I did not look 10 years younger, (and let's face it we know in our hearts that no cream is ever going to this) it is a good cream, kept my face totally comfortable in this horrible cold weather, it sank in well and made a good make up base. I would buy it again.

Interesting article in this month's Cosmo which may make Alison Young cough up another little furball of hate!

They've done a piece about dispelling skincare myths - and what the truth is behind certain rumours or things that we've had drummed into us over the years. There was some interesting info about AHAs and Glycolics and a little piece from Fiona from Decleor about skin dehydration but there was one very interesting one:

I can see AY having apoplexy as I type...:mysmilie_34:

Thanks for this information cavegirl! Love the phrase: 'another little furball of hate' - wonderful! lol lol!!

From a personal point of view, I avoid the chemical sunscreens and use mineral sunscreens, but even with them, the consensus seems to be that spf15 is sufficient and that you don't get much more protection from higher spfs and in fact are lulled into a false sense of security by thinking you can stay in the sun longer if you use the higher ones. I've been round the houses with sunscreens, but in the end just use mineral spf15 on my face in summertime and wear a hat, sunglasses and long sleeved blouse, staying in the shade in the height of the day. Remember, too, the latest advice for Vitamin D synthesis: expose yourself to around 20 minutes of sunshine a day, to keep your levels up - Vitamin D is VERY important! I would aim to get that in late afternoon to be on the safe side. I don't have a car and walk about a lot so that's why I wear the hat in summer!! :mysmilie_348:

Oxybenzone is the SPF in Sarah Chapman's skincare range. I didn't know too much about it but that put me off trying her range as I try to avoid chemical sunscreens (skin ractions, prickly heat etc).

That being said there will probably be more research next week that says we should use higher SPF's this sort of research contradicts itself all the time.

You've definitely got a point Lady Tia about information changing all the time! I think the figures showing percent protection from spf15 does show this is adequate - the key thing is to avoid overexposure to the sun and reapply often if you're at the beach or spending a whole day outdoors.

Sarah Chapman's ingredients list puts me off too. IMO she's trying to copy Vaishali, even down to the packaging... but the ingredients aren't as good.

If I can think on sometime I'll post the details of the full article. There were some other interesting bits and bobs in it too. An eye opener.

You've definitely got a point Lady Tia about information changing all the time! I think the figures showing percent protection from spf15 does show this is adequate - the key thing is to avoid overexposure to the sun and reapply often if you're at the beach or spending a whole day outdoors.

Sarah Chapman's ingredients list puts me off too. IMO she's trying to copy Vaishali, even down to the packaging... but the ingredients aren't as good.

Couldn't agree more re SPF15 anything over that doesn't give double, triple the protection etc its just a small percentage more isn't it.

Ooo now you mention it the S Chapman range is very similar in packaging to vaishaly which I really quite like and that is a truly natural range. I must confess to bein tempted by the S Chapman range until I asked about the sunscreen which they say they use due to the complex ingredients to ensure they maintain the integrity of them. Out of the two I'd go for vaishaly anyday - prices are pretty similar too.

Latest posts

Back