Credit where it's due.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Meeshoo

Registered Shopper
We all know about the treatment saga that started with the pink coated diamonds but one thing that hasn't been praised enough is the way in which GemsTV have handled this situation.

When news "broke" that some of the diamonds were coated and then other items were called into question, like many, I emailed a very long list to Andrew Lovett in Customer Care. I can't imagine how many requests they must have had but I do know that Andrew and Clark have worked on this virtually every day for months now.

I've had some bad news about Rubies (suspected and unwelcome but half expected anyway), coated diamonds and Padparadscha Sapphires (all of which have been refunded without any quibbling) BUT on the flip side, I've received some excellent news about all my Alexandrites, Paraibas, other coloured diamond pieces - some of which have come back as natural and untreated - and various other items that I asked to be tested and/or confirmed.

Andrew and Clark have had a huge task sending everything to Thailand, who have then had to track back each gemstone to its supplier (or to the original purchase information) to determine the correct information and then pass it back to the UK and onto us the Customers.

I just want to say that whilst this is a horrible, unfortunate, situation, GemsTV have conducted themselves in a really professional manner and have been nothing but courteous and truthful.

I understand that on the back of this, GemsTV have also revised their treatment policy and are now being more upfront in the details about treatments that have been applied. I have to say that this is fantastic news. I know that TJC do some of this already but apart from them, they are the only ones to do so. If you spot details that you think may not have been updated can you email Andrew or Clark because this is a mammoth task and they want to try they don't miss anything (but they're only human)!!!

So irrespective of the mistakes that have been made, I just want to give a huge thumbs up to Andrew and Clark (and everybody else behind the scenes) who have helped to try to put things right.

:mysmilie_687:

We all know about the treatment saga that started with the pink coated diamonds but one thing that hasn't been praised enough is the way in which GemsTV have handled this situation.

When news "broke" that some of the diamonds were coated and then other items were called into question, like many, I emailed a very long list to Andrew Lovett in Customer Care. I can't imagine how many requests they must have had but I do know that Andrew and Clark have worked on this virtually every day for months now.

I've had some bad news about Rubies (suspected and unwelcome but half expected anyway), coated diamonds and Padparadscha Sapphires (all of which have been refunded without any quibbling) BUT on the flip side, I've received some excellent news about all my Alexandrites, Paraibas, other coloured diamond pieces - some of which have come back as natural and untreated - and various other items that I asked to be tested and/or confirmed.

Andrew and Clark have had a huge task sending everything to Thailand, who have then had to track back each gemstone to its supplier (or to the original purchase information) to determine the correct information and then pass it back to the UK and onto us the Customers.

I just want to say that whilst this is a horrible, unfortunate, situation, GemsTV have conducted themselves in a really professional manner and have been nothing but courteous and truthful.

I understand that on the back of this, GemsTV have also revised their treatment policy and are now being more upfront in the details about treatments that have been applied. I have to say that this is fantastic news. I know that TJC do some of this already but apart from them, they are the only ones to do so. If you spot details that you think may not have been updated can you email Andrew or Clark because this is a mammoth task and they want to try they don't miss anything (but they're only human)!!!

So irrespective of the mistakes that have been made, I just want to give a huge thumbs up to Andrew and Clark (and everybody else behind the scenes) who have helped to try to put things right.

Well said , my feelings exactly

:mysmilie_348: Meesh, glad you are back and agree with your post......Andy on behalf of GEMSTV couldn't have been more helpful over this debacle, so well done to him and the company. :mysmilie_82:

Meesh, I'm sooo pleased you are back and do agree that Gems seems to have handled the treated stone debacle in a laudable way. Still doesn't alter the way I feel about their latest changes.
I've got several pieces of padparadscha sapphire, will these be treated as well and should I be contacting Andy about it do you think?

Welcome back Meeshoo. Was it just the Ceylon Padparadscha sapphires, because they also had other padparadschas, which were a more red/orange colour (Madagascan??? can't remember) as my Mum bought one and it was very expensive, so I'm just wondering if I should tell her to contact Gems about it. MTIA xxxx

:mysmilie_348: Meesho so great to see you back, i couldn't agree more with your post Andy has been wonderful and i think the whole situation has been handled with great respect to all of the customers at no point have they tried to cover up or wriggle out of the situation they have been honest and upfront and most importantly refunded all the miss sold/misinformed items.
So i agree credit where credits due :mysmilie_687: Andy, Clark and everyone else involved.

Thank you for your kind words everybody.

Yes Jacqualina if you bought them believing them to be "natural" Pads bought from pre 2008 then yes, please do contact Andrew if you want your item to be checked and refunded if it's treated. Unfortunately, it does appear that all the Padparadscha Sapphires are BE diffused (see my post in the Rocks and Co section). If you bought them with "coloured" in the title (and your gem certificate thingy would have that information) then these are BE diffused and sold as such, so I don't think refunds would be available for these.

I do understand what you're saying about the changes re GemsTV and share some of your views but just wanted to start a positive thread for a change as more often that not, our appreciation gets buried elsewhere with bad news.

Paula - I would assume BE diffusion for the Madagascar Pads as well (they were the very included orangey ones weren't they?) but it's worth asking the question if your Mum would be worried by potential treatments. I remember those ones well and they were very different looking. Definitely worth asking the question. Andrew will send the item number off for verification and then give you an honest answer although this can take up to a few weeks.

Last edited:
Meesh, I'm sooo pleased you are back and do agree that Gems seems to have handled the treated stone debacle in a laudable way. Still doesn't alter the way I feel about their latest changes.
I've got several pieces of padparadscha sapphire, will these be treated as well and should I be contacting Andy about it do you think?

Yes they will be treated and yes email Andy

Welcome back Meeshoo. Was it just the Ceylon Padparadscha sapphires, because they also had other padparadschas, which were a more red/orange colour (Madagascan??? can't remember) as my Mum bought one and it was very expensive, so I'm just wondering if I should tell her to contact Gems about it. MTIA xxxx

Yes contact Andy i have been refunded on 2 of these items.

Thanks Meesh and Gemcherub. I've got about five or six pieces of the pre 2008 padparadscha (word colour not mentioned), so I'd better contact Andy.

confettistars.gif
Welcome back, Meeshoo! ... and excellent post.

Poor Andrew, his head must be spinning from dealing with all our queries but he's done it with such good grace and insisting it's all part of his job. He went out of his way to phone me regularly to keep me in the picture regarding the items I'd queried until my refunds had been processed and I assume its been the same for everyone else.

Meesh, I'd also like to thank you for your advice re my Majestic Ruby ring. I can't remember if I told you that I didn't have to send it to Stanleys for enhancement testing because Andrew agreed it was more than likely that it had been glass filled and dyed.

Welcome back.......

Hi Meesh....and another big welcome back from me and thank you for this excellent post. I haven't got involved in returning any items but appreciate the fact that those who did so have received courteous and satisfactory help from certain folks at Gems. As we've said in the past, its not how a company conducts themselves in the good times, but how they handle themselves in the problematic ones.

Also very pleased to hear that your Alex's and PT's etc have all proved free from 'undesirable' treatments. :mysmilie_696:

Paula - I would assume BE diffusion for the Madagascar Pads as well (they were the very included orangey ones weren't they?) but it's worth asking the question if your Mum would be worried by potential treatments. I remember those ones well and they were very different looking. Definitely worth asking the question. Andrew will send the item number off for verification and then give you an honest answer although this can take up to a few weeks.

Yes they will be treated and yes email Andy

Yes contact Andy i have been refunded on 2 of these items.

Thanks both, I'll get on the Gems, and it was £900, not the sort of money they can easily afford to spend on something which may turn out not to be what they thought.

Have just emailed Andrew, so hopefully will hear back sometime.

Last edited:
Thanks both, I'll get on the Gems, and it was £900, not the sort of money they can easily afford to spend on something which may turn out not to be what they thought.

Have just emailed Andrew, so hopefully will hear back sometime.

That is alot of money, but if it not what it should be Andy will refund it.

Couldn't agree more Meeshoo. I emailed last week regarding my Padparadscha and got a phone call from Andrew this morning to let me know they were investigating. Thumbs up from me. The way they are handling this means I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

Fantastic to see you back, Meeshoo! You have been sorely missed.

:mysmilie_12:

Welcome back Meeshoo!

So pleased you are back on here, I had missed your posts greatly.

Love Inge xxx

Latest posts

Back