Clogau Gold

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Fluffwump

Registered Shopper
I was puzzled watching th eoutrageously expensive Clogau gold yesterday, when they mentioned that it had a hint of welsh gold in it, I thought they were one hundred percent welsh gold, can anyone enlighten me... did I miss something? I thought it was because it was welsh gold that they were so expensive.:mysmilie_318:

I was puzzled watching th eoutrageously expensive Clogau gold yesterday, when they mentioned that it had a hint of welsh gold in it, I thought they were one hundred percent welsh gold, can anyone enlighten me... did I miss something? I thought it was because it was welsh gold that they were so expensive.:mysmilie_318:

Nope, you heard right Fluffwump - there's not much more than a hint of gold full-stop in their items, so I can only presume that the actual Welsh gold contained within them must be virtually microscopic!
Some pretty designs but idiotically overpriced for 9ct! :mysmilie_701:

Well said Kitten! This microscopic bit of Welsh gold is the selling point. The designs are nice. But those prices for 9ct gold are outrageous! I think they have a couple of pieces which are 18ct gold, but the prices for these are just far too much for me, alas!

Way overpriced!!!! They don't even tell how much they add to normal gold, a pinch, one speck?????

The only people who have the pure Welsh gold are the royal family who get their wedding rings made from it.

Donna's point is really the point! They are soo cagey about the actual percentage because I rather susoect that people would not buy the stuff if they knew just how little there actually is in it. Furthermore, and a really important point, insurance companies do not reflect the "interest" value, only the actual gold value, so you will not necessarily get the full value of the item back either.
A real rip off in my opinion. And it really annoys me when they go on about the royal family having real welsh gold wedding rings. They sure as hekk do not have them from Clogau with their miniscule percentage.

Well I wouldn't buy it, but it's a free country and if they can sell enough at those prices then they aren't going to reduce the price. If people buy it and are happy then what's the problem? Some people probably spend as much on cigarettes in a few months as one of these items costs but it's just personal choice.

They also sell it in Argos, only a few items but it sort of takes the shine off it when you see it in Argos. I really liked the bluebird earrings but wouldn't buy them as they had shepherds hooks not leverbacks , too easily lost.

I did once email the company to find out precisely how much Welsh gold went into it but received no reply. I understand that there is virtually no Welsh gold left in the ground so they eek out what they have by only putting a teeny bit in, but it would be nice to know how much you're getting!

They also sell it in Argos, only a few items but it sort of takes the shine off it when you see it in Argos. I really liked the bluebird earrings but wouldn't buy them as they had shepherds hooks not leverbacks , too easily lost.

On the website, they have a pair of earrings with shepherds crook fastenings for 550 pounds! My hair is always getting caught in my earrings, they'd be gone in a day.Apart from anything else, I think it makes them look cheap.

Doesn't it say a lot when one of their outlets is Argos on the high street? There's been a couple of threads on the content of Welsh gold on here if it's still available via search.

Donna's point is really the point! They are soo cagey about the actual percentage because I rather susoect that people would not buy the stuff if they knew just how little there actually is in it. Furthermore, and a really important point, insurance companies do not reflect the "interest" value, only the actual gold value, so you will not necessarily get the full value of the item back either.
A real rip off in my opinion. And it really annoys me when they go on about the royal family having real welsh gold wedding rings. They sure as hekk do not have them from Clogau with their miniscule percentage.[/QUOTE

With regards to insurance companies I think it kind of depends what sort of policy you have, surely if someone lost a ring or other piece of jewellery say from Cartier, Tiffany or Bvlgari for example, Insurance companies would not just pay for the gold value but what the item is worth, so long as you have a photograph and itemised receipt they have to pay what the item would cost to replace like for like. If I am am wrong on this, I stand corrected.

As for Clogau prices, they are expensive, but you get what you pay for in terms of design and gold weight, I have several pieces and find them to be better crafted than many other pieces on the high street.

Well you must pay a lot for design most people think you don't get your monies worth in gold.

A real rip off in my opinion. And it really annoys me when they go on about the royal family having real welsh gold wedding rings. They sure as hekk do not have them from Clogau with their miniscule percentage.[/QUOTE

With regards to insurance companies I think it kind of depends what sort of policy you have, surely if someone lost a ring or other piece of jewellery say from Cartier, Tiffany or Bvlgari for example, Insurance companies would not just pay for the gold value but what the item is worth, so long as you have a photograph and itemised receipt they have to pay what the item would cost to replace like for like. If I am am wrong on this, I stand corrected.

As for Clogau prices, they are expensive, but you get what you pay for in terms of design and gold weight, I have several pieces and find them to be better crafted than many other pieces on the high street.

I used to work in a loss adjusters(they investigate on behalf of insurance companies on claims). Ref jewellery unless a piece is insuraned on its own as special, some people do insure their engagement rings its treated as used and you only get the used price and it goes down the longer you own and wear it. Infact more jewellery the moment you walk out the shop with it loses a third straight up. If insured as special you need a report from the jewellery you bought it from the quality of the stones etc to back up your claim. One claim I remember, the woman came out of Sainsburys looked down and a emerald was missing from her ring. She was able to prove the emerald on its own was worth £700 before it had been set into the ring and got the £700 back to replace it. You need to keep receipts for the jewelly and also take photos and keep as well. Otherwise all jewellery is put in with your house insurance and as I said loses value again like house hold items as time passes. Unless you take out the policy old for new.

I used to work in a loss adjusters(they investigate on behalf of insurance companies on claims). Ref jewellery unless a piece is insuraned on its own as special, some people do insure their engagement rings its treated as used and you only get the used price and it goes down the longer you own and wear it. Infact more jewellery the moment you walk out the shop with it loses a third straight up. If insured as special you need a report from the jewellery you bought it from the quality of the stones etc to back up your claim. One claim I remember, the woman came out of Sainsburys looked down and a emerald was missing from her ring. She was able to prove the emerald on its own was worth £700 before it had been set into the ring and got the £700 back to replace it. You need to keep receipts for the jewelly and also take photos and keep as well. Otherwise all jewellery is put in with your house insurance and as I said loses value again like house hold items as time passes. Unless you take out the policy old for new.

Thanks for your post Donna. It pays to check what sort of cover you have with regards to jewellery etc. as you said, if you have expensive items it pays to specify them individually with your insurance company.

Latest posts

Back