Anybody watching?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Meeshoo

Registered Shopper
I've flitted in and out tonight and I've been very pleasantly surprised! The tat's gone and been replaced by some lovely lovely jewellery. For example 1ct baguette diamond ring, £399 (on easy pay), natural purple sapphire rings, £399 and £499 again on easy pay. A very pretty Paraiba Tourmaline 1.6ct in a stunning setting for £799 and again, easy pay!

It's so good to see a glimpse of the "old" GemsTV. Let's hope this continues! :mysmilie_698:

I'm probably thick (as well as half blind!) but I couldn't find any details on their shipping charges, can anybody point me in the right direction?
(Have trawled through all the Help pages & can't find any indictation of their p&p costs anywhere!)

Hi Meeshoo, i had a look at the purple sapphires, they say say they are heat treated, so is this still considered natural? I suppose if a stone was completely unenhanced it would say that, but this is where I get so confused, because natural surely has to be untouched, not heat treated? Please can you share your knowledge of this and explain it to me?! Many thanks, it would be much appreciated. :mysmilie_687:

Hi Meeshoo, i had a look at the purple sapphires, they say say they are heat treated, so is this still considered natural? I suppose if a stone was completely unenhanced it would say that, but this is where I get so confused, because natural surely has to be untouched, not heat treated? Please can you share your knowledge of this and explain it to me?! Many thanks, it would be much appreciated. :mysmilie_687:

Yes and no! That's helpful isn't it!!!! :mysmilie_697:

On the market today, nearly all Sapphires are heated. The unheated ones command a premium. There are 3 categories of Sapphires:

1. Natural with no treatments. Some collectors will insist on this only and won't accept even heat treatment.

2. Natural but with heat treatment. Basically this is a natural sapphire that is merely heated to bring out the colour more. If you look at it this way, it's simply finishing what nature started. Apart from heat, nothing else should be added.

Numbers 1 and 2 are the Sapphires that I buy. For me, but this is a personal choice, the next option is unacceptable:

3. Natural sapphire but then heated (or burned as it's sometimes called) with additives. Usually Beryillium but other additives can be used. This is basically taking a sapphire whose colour would be unacceptable on the market and adding colour to make it appear vivid, colourful and more marketable. It is a stable treatment but this is not how nature intended these particular sapphires to look.

Interestingly, some of the purple sapphires on GemsTV are listed as heated and others don't have anything by them so they could be completely natural. If you're interested in getting one, I'd check on Monday if they are heated or not.

I've flitted in and out tonight and I've been very pleasantly surprised! The tat's gone and been replaced by some lovely lovely jewellery. For example 1ct baguette diamond ring, £399 (on easy pay), natural purple sapphire rings, £399 and £499 again on easy pay. A very pretty Paraiba Tourmaline 1.6ct in a stunning setting for £799 and again, easy pay!

It's so good to see a glimpse of the "old" GemsTV. Let's hope this continues! :mysmilie_698:

I'm sorry buit I think you must be watching a different channel to me, terrible presenters that push and push for a sale, nothing at all like the old GemsTV.

I don't beleive the channel can move forward until THEY contact everyone who has purchased coated diamonds, rather than leaving it up to the buyer. IMO they should have a notice on the front page of their site.

Thanks Meeshoo, i'm beginning to relise its all about degrees! I agree, the first 2 types of sapphire wwould be the most desirable to own, the 3rd sounds awful with beryllium treatment.
We are so at the mercy of honesty when we buy from tv aren't we? But also, we have to take responsibility to find out as much as we can in order to make an informed decision. Well, thats the theory!
I'll confess now, that last night I made a split decision to buy a ring based purely on appearance and relative rarity! Afterwards, when my heart rate had slowed down, I realised I didn't even know the carat weight of the stone! Let alone had time to think about what the stone may or may not have had done to it, but its from a good range at a well thought of source, so can't wait to receive it and all the accompanying details. I am an impulsive person a lot of the time, makes for some steep and interesting learning curves.
:mysmilie_687:

It's £6.95 per day kitten, but you can keep items in your basket for up to 48 hours before having them removed, hope this helps

:mysmilie_687: PandaBear!
Doesn't seem too bad - would have to have an almighty shopping spree & cram as much into 48 hours as possible......I'm so mean when it comes to p&p! lol

I agree that in amongst the tat they do still have some attractive pieces Meesh, but it's the shouty, pushy presenters and the awful sound effects (claxons, heartbeat sounds, I've even heard sports whistles) that put me off so much.
I used to be addicted to Gemstv, so if they did return to their old ways, nobody could be more pleased, but I'm not holding my breath just yet!

jacqualina said:
I agree that in amongst the tat they do still have some attractive pieces Meesh, but it's the shouty, pushy presenters and the awful sound effects (claxons, heartbeat sounds, I've even heard sports whistles) that put me off so much.
I used to be addicted to Gemstv, so if they did return to their old ways, nobody could be more pleased, but I'm not holding my breath just yet!

Last night was James Russell and Lucy Hunt the worst two presenters IMO on any Jewellery Channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't buy just because I don't like the presenter. The jewellery kept me watching last night. If the jewellery is good, sold honestly and has a reasonable price attached and it's something I'm looking for, I'll buy.

Briolette - which ring did you get hun? One of the purple sapphires?

There have been some nice fresh pieces in the new stock this week and just to check out a stone new to me.....I've got my mitts on one of their new Black Star Sapphires, and I have to say it doesn't disappoint!
In fact the opposite, under halogens there is a lovely asterism (correct word?) effect and the halo and channel set diamonds are white, white, white and very clean. And thanks to Greenie's tipoff with a 10% discount, I am one happy
bunny-1.gif

PS Those purple sapphires sound interesting..........

I got this one last night Sacha.

http://www.gemstv.co.uk/Shop/productDataSheet.jsp?productid=UHW0238&menuselection=3&colourScheme=9

They looked very very pretty. Purple sapphires (with a true purple colour) are incredibly difficult to find. I paid nearly £700 for a loose stone (certified) from TJC but sent it back because it was (a) heated - undisclosed at the point of sale and (b) it didn't hold its colour and had way too much extinction. So the one above at £399 (less 10%) was a great deal!

Selling honestly is a skill many of the presenters have lost imo. I'm afraid I can't buy if I'm not watching and I find several of their presenters unwatchable, last night being a perfect example. If things do change though, I'd be delighted to fall in love all over again.
As they closed their Thai manufacturing base as of 1st February, I wonder how long it will take them to work through their in-house stock and what the outsourced articles will be like?

I got this one last night Sacha.

http://www.gemstv.co.uk/Shop/productDataSheet.jsp?productid=UHW0238&menuselection=3&colourScheme=9

They looked very very pretty. Purple sapphires (with a true purple colour) are incredibly difficult to find. I paid nearly £700 for a loose stone (certified) from TJC but sent it back because it was (a) heated - undisclosed at the point of sale and (b) it didn't hold its colour and had way too much extinction. So the one above at £399 (less 10%) was a great deal!

That's very pretty Meesh, love the colour and design. Now can you tell me what 'High Way' set means please, I've seen it mentioned rather a lot in the past few months? Also on my piece it says the origin
of the diamonds "varies".

They've always bought from outside as well as made jewellery in-house Jacqualina so I doubt you'll see much difference.

That's very pretty Meesh, love the colour and design. Now can you tell me what 'High Way' set means please, I've seen it mentioned rather a lot in the past few months? Also on my piece it says the origin
of the diamonds "varies".

No idea! It looks like a normal pave set of melee diamonds to me.

Don't worry about the origin of the diamonds, it probably just means they can't identify which mine they've come from. It's more important that they disclose the treatment than the mine.

Hi Meeshoo and Sacha! OOH its good to be talking purple sapphires!
Yes, It was a purple sapphire I bought so impulsively, but will have to whisper, not gems but TJC..
It was rhapsody and I think between a 2 -3 carat (but no clear memory), solitaire in platinum, looked very beautiful and lust took over!:mysmilie_17:

Latest posts

Back