Price fluctuations

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Frazzled

Sense of humour intact
We all know the final price can vary from show to show, time of day etc. But the practice seems to be getting more extreme lately. Between today and last Sunday morning I have only watched an hour or two - when DerekG was doing the early show and after midnight last night.

Last Sunday the price for the Illiana "snowflake" earrings 0.50ct was £389.95, with DG in the week I think they were £359.95. I have seen these previously at £349.95 and on one occasion £299.95

This morning - Item 654287 9ct channel set ring (1ct 9 stones) - may be good value at £399.95, but with Ian earlier today it went to £311.95. So if you had the current voucher you could have purchased for £281.95

As the lower price for this ring occurred before this mornings purchases I guess the following wouldn't apply but it's worth remembering if you didn't already know. It's a quote from a TJC reply to an email I received last October. Handy if you watch from 0600-0200 hours every day!

"All of our items have a 30 day price match guarantee,
which means that if you purchase an item on the television
and it sells for less on the television within 30 days of
purchase we will refund the difference to you."

Come on TJC, you want us to trust you, but what with "lowest ever price" claims etc. I'm afraid that's getting harder for me

I think you'll find this is not at all unusual for any channel selling via the Auction method. I remember a couple of years ago, my husband bought a ring for me from gems TV. About 2 weeks later I saw the same ring sell for £150 less!!!!! Unlike TJC they didn't have any lower price guarantees and I couldn't return the original one and buy it at the cheaper price because I was outwith the returns period - just!

I'm not sure what you mean about it not applying to the ring because the lower price was before this morning?

Also, with regards to the "Lowest Ever Price", if they said this and it was not true then you can very easily complain to the ASA. However, I find it hard to believe that TJC would say it was the "lowest ever price" when it wasn't! The fact that it goes lower at a later date is irrelevant because at the time they said it, it was true.

With the Auction type format, you normally take your chance when you buy but I think TJC are excelling themselves with the offer you pointed out. There's no way Gems TV or Rocks & Co would do that! Rocks TV do something similar but you can only claim a credit for the difference in price if you call within 1 hour of the item being on cheaper.

If the prices were always going to be the same then they'd just sell everything at a fixed price. An Auction is just that - an Auction!

Prices

Hello KB – agree with what you say about an auction being just that, I except I may see things I've bought turn up later at a lower price, but not quite so quickly as seems to be happening lately. Some recent fluctuations have been considerable, makes it difficult to know when to buy, so I don't much anymore.

My comment about "lowest ever price" was a general one, not about 654287. Am not alone in seeing pieces, where this statement is made, that have appeared in previous 30 days at a lower price.

I'm not sure what you mean about it not applying to the ring because the lower price was before this morning?

The way it's worded – would you have to see the item sell lower after you made your purchase?

You would have to watch for 30 days – all day , especially if policy the same as you quote for Rocks TV!!:mysmilie_697:

Hello KB – agree with what you say about an auction being just that, I except I may see things I've bought turn up later at a lower price, but not quite so quickly as seems to be happening lately. Some recent fluctuations have been considerable, makes it difficult to know when to buy, so I don't much anymore.

My comment about "lowest ever price" was a general one, not about 654287. Am not alone in seeing pieces, where this statement is made, that have appeared in previous 30 days at a lower price.

The way it's worded – would you have to see the item sell lower after you made your purchase?

You would have to watch for 30 days – all day , especially if policy the same as you quote for Rocks TV!!:mysmilie_697:

Hi again PinkSapphire :mysmilie_348:
Yes you would need to have bought an item, then if you see it at a lower price within 30 days of your purchase, you can get the difference refunded. My only problem is with them saying "television". Does it mean it only applies to TV Auctions and not the web or does it mean you have to buy from a TV Auction via the telephone and not via the internet? I think it means the first option but I may email them to clarify.

Thanks for pointing this out as I have bought from them for years and didn't realise that guarantee was there! Mind you, it may a new thing is it?

I have noticed that there can be a variation in price depending on the time of day you buy. When it's quieter you can get items cheaper whereas when Freeview also have access it can be much busier so the prices don't need to go so low. Just an idea which could be totally wrong
:mysmilie_61:

I've been stalking those earrings PinkSapphire, wish I'd seen them go for £299 I'd have snapped them up, I've only seen them going for £349.95/

I was up early this morning, or late last night, depending how you look at it, and saw the channel set ring go for £311, which is an excellent price for it. Think I'll have to request the earrings during one of my insomnia attacks.

When you're talking about the snowflake earrings do you mean these ones?

https://www.thejewellerychannel.tv/popups/viewdetail.aspx?StockCode=599948

If so, I bought these in July 2009 for £349. I have to say, they are well worth the money and I wear them all the time. They are gorgeous and the only regret I have is that I got y/gold when I wanted w/gold but they didn't have them at the time. I would definitely recommend them. I think I posted up a photo at the time to show the size if you can be bothered to search! :mysmilie_697:

Oooo thanks Meeshoo, those are the little darlings, only the one's they've been showing are w/g which is what I'm after. I did send in a text to ask the size, and was told they were about 8mm, which sounds perfect. Will definitely be keeping my beady eyes :)mysmilie_697:) open for them.

Hi again PinkSapphire :mysmilie_348:My only problem is with them saying "television". Does it mean it only applies to TV Auctions and not the web or does it mean you have to buy from a TV Auction via the telephone and not via the internet? I think it means the first option but I may email them to clarify.

Thanks for pointing this out as I have bought from them for years and didn't realise that guarantee was there! Mind you, it may a new thing is it?

I have noticed that there can be a variation in price depending on the time of day you buy. When it's quieter you can get items cheaper whereas when Freeview also have access it can be much busier so the prices don't need to go so low. Just an idea which could be totally wrong
:mysmilie_61:

Hi – this email from TJC was in response to a complaint I made about the "lowest price ever" claim last October. A friend of mine had bought the ring they were talking about a couple of weeks previously at a lower price.

I was watching live TV on the web at the time, rare for me, normally only watch on Freeview, I queried if this counted as "television" but did not receive a response. I'm sure it does though, they are always saying "you can carry on watching us on live TV on the web etc"?

They did state they couldn't match between TV and website sales as they were separate methods of sale – obviously fair enough

Email didn't mention telephone/internet, would think as long as it was a TV sale, not from the website, it wouldn't matter?

I think you are absolutely right about when Freeviewer's are watching, especially mornings. Have noticed a difference late at night. Mind you, have picked up a couple of really good deals between 6am and 8am, especially when it first started, so suppose I shouldn't complain really!!:mysmilie_61:

When you're talking about the snowflake earrings do you mean these ones?

https://www.thejewellerychannel.tv/popups/viewdetail.aspx?StockCode=599948

If so, I bought these in July 2009 for £349. I have to say, they are well worth the money and I wear them all the time. They are gorgeous and the only regret I have is that I got y/gold when I wanted w/gold but they didn't have them at the time. I would definitely recommend them. I think I posted up a photo at the time to show the size if you can be bothered to search! :mysmilie_697:

Hello Meeshoo - yes these are the ones, and I want them so much, they are very beautiful and a perfect size, not being able to send them back wouldn't be a problem! Decided to be strong and resist last year as didn't want to go over £300. They suddenly popped up at £299 around November but by the time I had ummed and aahhed they were gone. After reading your post don't think I will be able resist much longer - not going to pay £389 though!!!:mysmilie_687:

Ok, please bear in mind I have the BIGGEST ear lobes in the entire world. Inherited from my grandmother (thanks Gran). :mysmilie_81: Anyway, imagine how big they look on a normal lobe!!!

Thanks for the photos Meeshoo, it's helped a great deal. Will definitely be buying them now in w/g - that's if they still have them.

Paula I realised when I looked at the photos that you can't actually see any of the yellow gold so if they don't have the w/gold option, you could probably get away with these. It's only out of the ear that you see the yellow.

Snowing again

OK, the "snowflakes" have just appeared this morning, back at £349.95. (this does happen with other items!!) Want WG so not tempted (see what you say about yellow not showing though Meeshoo), but I realised what I'm noticing is they often bring on a item and drop straight to the final price with clock which is not actually an auction is it? The irritating bit is this final price can vary from day to day.

What's even more irritating, I know I will give in and just buy them one day!!! Then I'll have all the stress again when the ring appears – they've just got to do it haven't they?:mysmilie_81:

Think we'll just have to bite the bullet PinkSapphire and give in:mysmilie_17:

Just seen the snowflake ring, good job OH is going to be watching the rugby in a minute, don't know if my willpower would have kept me from buying!!!:mysmilie_697:

Price fluctuations are annoying, but I guess they just go with the territory. I bought a bracelet once for about £240 ish (I think - twas a long time ago) and then saw it go the next day for £199. I ended up with 2, and sent 1 back.

Latest posts

Back