OMG on fire

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

norfolk dumpling

Registered Shopper
Oh my God!! My tefal actifry caught fire just now. I was cooking sausages for tea. Normally the actifry makes a noise but it suddenly went quiet and the paddle slowed down. I turned to look at it when I saw flames and acrid black smoke coming out of the grille thingy on the back (inside). I pulled the plug out and took the pan out then shut the lid down and the flames stopped but the smell was all over the house. I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't been standing next to it. I have e-mailed Tefal as I thought that would we better than contacted IW (I can't find the invoice) So I will have to wait until Monday at the earliest to hear from Tefal. So anyone using Actifry please be aware. It's a bugger really because I love it

SCW is spot on it's a well known problem despite Nigel saying on Ideal "there's no danger danger here with the Tefal Actifry" after i highlighted it on this forum last year.

****** hell! Glad you are ok Norfolkdumpling, but what a fright, they shouldn't be allowed to sell them

Ohhhhhhhhh ****** hell!!!

Since my husband's coronary last March, I use mine for doing things like roast spuds.... Half a tespoon of oil does spuds for 4 and tastes as if they have been roasted. I use it for all the things which don't taste too good grilled. Thanks ever so much for the info

Well I suppose I must start by saying this is probably not the right place to post this as I have realised I actually bought my Actifry from Amazon. No wonder I couldn't find any trace of my order with IW!!! I have been reading online the reviews on Amazon web site and whilst most people say they love the Actifry (which I must admit I do) there are about 8-9 saying exactly the same as happened to mine. It seems Tefal have modified the later models (mine was bought Nov 08) but I don't think I will get anywhere because it is out of guarantee. Seems it is destined for the bin! Still although I e-mailed Tefal on Saturday eveing (I was in a state of shock) I will phone first thing Monday morning and see what they have to say. If it's not the right place to talk about this I apoligise but I will report back what they tell me

No love it's relevant to the product so post away,my advice is to quote the BBC Watchdog part and keep on at them,it's a lot of money to lose and a company the size of Tefal should address it.

Blimey, Dumpling, I've just watched it too, how scary, glad you're OK.

The Firestarter

I was going to buy an actifry for Christmas, till I heard about the design fault, thanks to this forum, and in particular this thread, http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17167 thanks and credit to all the FM’s who contributed to the thread.

I think it’s disgusting that tefal haven’t recalled the product. Talk about an accident waiting to happen. Those money grabbing tefal t*ssers, can stick their fire-starter where the sun don’t shine!

Well I suppose I must start by saying this is probably not the right place to post this as I have realised I actually bought my Actifry from Amazon. No wonder I couldn't find any trace of my order with IW!!! I have been reading online the reviews on Amazon web site and whilst most people say they love the Actifry (which I must admit I do) there are about 8-9 saying exactly the same as happened to mine. It seems Tefal have modified the later models (mine was bought Nov 08) but I don't think I will get anywhere because it is out of guarantee. Seems it is destined for the bin! Still although I e-mailed Tefal on Saturday eveing (I was in a state of shock) I will phone first thing Monday morning and see what they have to say. If it's not the right place to talk about this I apoligise but I will report back what they tell me

Do not throw it away !

Just because its over a year old does not mean you don't have rights, you are covered under the sales of goods act, from the place you bought it from (not the manufacturer)

I would email Amazon and explain whats happened and you have since found out its a known fault, include a link to the watchdog story.

Ask for a refund/replacement

Good luck

Watching the Watchdog report, Tefal's response is extraordinarilly arrogant claiming it is safe as there have "only been 220 reports out of 50,000". 1 is too many Tefal!!

It may be retardant plastic but what if it is next to something that isn't retardent? Not all kitchens are the sparkly showhome ones with just an Actifry and a spatula in them!

It is for this reason Ideal World should be ashamed of themselves for selling it. Next they will claim that the hedge trimmers are ok because "only" two or three people have lopped their appendages off..[the hedge trimmers are probably very safe, it's just an example]

Latest posts

Back