Sphalerite

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MissMagpie

If it sparkles - grab it
I have a sphalerite ring on order from RocksTV and can't wait to see it. Apparently, it has more fire/dispersion than any other gem, even including sphene. I've also found out that it's a very soft gemstone, do not all that great for setting in rings, but I'm not planning to wear it every day so with a bit of care it should be OK.

So is anyone familiar with this gem? Does it live up to expectations?

I have a number of pieces. It's a bit like a cross between a fire opal and a sphene. Mine are a sort of fire orange with flashes of yellow and red. It's very very pretty and has a nice dispersion but incredibly soft and isn't recommended for jewellery at all. More dispersive than any other gem? No I wouldn't say so but it is dispersive. If you keep the ring, please take very good care of it.

I have a sphalerite ring on order from RocksTV and can't wait to see it. Apparently, it has more fire/dispersion than any other gem, even including sphene. I've also found out that it's a very soft gemstone, do not all that great for setting in rings, but I'm not planning to wear it every day so with a bit of care it should be OK.

So is anyone familiar with this gem? Does it live up to expectations?

I thought I had heard of this before somewhere so I asked a friend of mine that is really into her gems, she showed me a stunning stone that she has, (it is the one from Steves gem book so I am honoured :mysmilie_697:)

I think this is true, that it has more fire/dispersion so long as you get a good one, I will ask her nicely to let me have a photo :mysmilie_82:

This maybe of interest to you too;

http://www.classicgems.net/gem_sphalerite.htm

Duh - I never even thought to look it up in Steve's book! Thanks, reddwarf.

I've noticed that a lot of sources say 'not suitable for use in jewellery', but I'm willing to take this with a pinch of salt - it's about the same on the Mohs scale as fluorite, which quite often seems to be used in jewellery. Lots of sources also say that sphene (which admittedly is harder) isn't suitable for jewellery either, and I've never had any trouble with that.

So if I love the ring when I receive it, I'll keep it and test the theory for myself!

Miss M. The MOHS Scale doesn't go up in equal grades. Sphalerite is a 3.5 which is only just more durable than a finger nail! Sphene is a 5 so about the same hardness as glass!

You'll find that most jewellers won't touch Sphalerite or Fluorite to set unless you take the risk. This is for good reason. Both gems are considered to be brittle. I wear jewellery that isn't considered suitable (Sphene being a perfect example) BUT I'm super careful when wearing it. You only have to look at Tanzanite (which is 7 on the MOHS Scale) and the tales of this chipping and breaking when set to see how there can be issues with Sphalerite.

It is a beautiful gem and if you're not paying a lot then wear it carefully. However, just be aware that you need to treat it with kid gloves. It has perfect cleavage so one knock in the right place and you'll have 2 Sphalerites.

You can see the dispersion in the photo of mine attached (which is from Santander, Spain). It DOES have lovely dispersion and is very pretty but the dispersion is different to a diamond.

I am really interested to hear what you think. Please post up photos when you get it won't you?

Last edited:
Duh - I never even thought to look it up in Steve's book! Thanks, reddwarf.
I've noticed that a lot of sources say 'not suitable for use in jewellery', but I'm willing to take this with a pinch of salt - it's about the same on the Mohs scale as fluorite, which quite often seems to be used in jewellery. Lots of sources also say that sphene (which admittedly is harder) isn't suitable for jewellery either, and I've never had any trouble with that.

So if I love the ring when I receive it, I'll keep it and test the theory for myself!

:mysmilie_61:

Good for you, defo post some pics when you get it, I'll add one of my mates tomorrow hopefully, so long as you don't do any bricklaying whilst your wearing it you should be ok :mysmilie_697::mysmilie_697::mysmilie_697:

One of these days I'll get round to getting a new digital camera - old one was lost and was ancient anyway! Until then, you'll have to do with a link and a verbal description... sorry... :(

One of these days I'll get round to getting a new digital camera - old one was lost and was ancient anyway! Until then, you'll have to do with a link and a verbal description... sorry... :(

A box brownie I suspect Miss M? xxx :mysmilie_61:

As promised, photo of THE Sphalerite :mysmilie_697:

This looks even better in the flesh, photo doesn't really do it justice......which incidentally is what I say about photos of moi! :mysmilie_61:

As promised, photo of THE Sphalerite :mysmilie_697:

This looks even better in the flesh, photo doesn't really do it justice......which incidentally is what I say about photos of moi! :mysmilie_61:

that is a most gorgeous stone - far superior to manky old marcasite!!! :mysmilie_17: I do love the colour of the that stone, it reminds me of cranberry juice, a really nice warm colour - love it!

:mysmilie_687: from me and the owner of that stonker! She tells me it is from Santander, Spain and that Steve told her it was the best one he had ever seen......not likely to be one she will let me sneak off with :mysmilie_61:

:mysmilie_687: from me and the owner of that stonker! She tells me it is from Santander, Spain and that Steve told her it was the best one he had ever seen......not likely to be one she will let me sneak off with :mysmilie_61:

:mysmilie_348: so its Hola from me, and adios from you! as you hot foot it with spanish stonker firmly in your grasp!! :mysmilie_701:(I am talking about the sphalerite!!):mysmilie_17:

Latest posts

Back