A little help please

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

JackJ

Registered Shopper
Hi There
My other half is glued to these channels and is dropping hints that she wants a Kunsite (sorry if that isn’t how you spell it) ring for her birthday.
I have watched the channels and they have given me no clue as to what price one should expect to pay for what. I have looked elsewhere and found the prices to be extremely sporadic and am still none the wiser.
I feel that the shopping channels are the best place to buy from, my wife certainly thinks so. But which one? They all seem the same. A little help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Jack

Hi Jack, and welcome to the Forum!

There a number of factors which affect the price of kunzite - obviously the size, and also the colour. Kunzite tends to be quite a pale gem, and some of them are almost white (not very nice); the deeper the colour, the more expensive it will be. And then, of course, you have to take into account the gold weight of the setting, and the number and quality of the diamonds. So it is really impossible to say what price it should go for in general terms, and you ought to ask your other half for some guidance - does she want a ring or a pendant? How big? What shape of stone? What style of setting?

Rocks TV have a few kunzites, and if you can get one from there, it will be a good price. (But note that they have quite a bit of yellow kunzite at the moment, and your other half will probably not want this if she's just asked for kunzite - she will want the usual pink.)

Gems TV has quite a lot of kunzite, and they have a clearance at the moment, so worth keeping an eye on. Rocks and Co have quite a bit of kunzite, too, but they tend to be expensive. Finally, a lot of people speak highly of the Jewellery Channel; they do have some kunzite, but not as much as Gems.

Good luck!

Hello Jack, I would just like to add that it's better to get the darkest Kunzite you can afford because they can fade. You can't wear them in sunlight and unfortunately sometimes they even fade just sitting in a jewellery box! It's just a sad fact with Kunzite and there's no way of telling whether it will happen or not so you take your chances I'm afraid. I have a ring and a a pendant which I bought at the same time and have not worn the pendant very often but the stone is now colourless! Just wanted to warn you that fading can happen.

Hope you get what your wife's looking for - she's lucky to have such a kind husband as you!

But they don't ALWAYS fade - so don't be put off. I have a few and none of mine has faded (touch wood). I think if they do fade it is possible to get the colour back by irradiating them, but I have no idea where you would find a gemologist to do this.

If you do get one for your other half, she should definitely keep it in a box when not being worn, rather than somewhere the light can get to it. This should significantly reduce the chance of fading (Klosblue's pendant notwithstanding).

But they don't ALWAYS fade - so don't be put off. I have a few and none of mine has faded (touch wood). I think if they do fade it is possible to get the colour back by irradiating them, but I have no idea where you would find a gemologist to do this.

If you do get one for your other half, she should definitely keep it in a box when not being worn, rather than somewhere the light can get to it. This should significantly reduce the chance of fading (Klosblue's pendant notwithstanding).

I wish that were true but sadly it's not. An irradiated stone, if it's prone to fading will fade whether you put it completely in the dark or not. Like Klos I have a number of Kunzites, one of them (that has NEVER been worn and always been in the safe) has faded to virtually white. Unfortunately, some Kunzites will fade, others won't. If it's going to fade it will and nothing will stop it. Wearing it and exposing it to normal sunlight will just speed up the process. I suspect it's the way it's been heated (or irradiated) to begin with. Also, DON'T be fooled by the "our Kunzite won't fade" spiel some presenters use. Utter rubbish.

As for getting it re-irradiated - I doubt whether you could find somebody to do this in the UK.

I wish that were true but sadly it's not. An irradiated stone, if it's prone to fading will fade whether you put it completely in the dark or not. Like Klos I have a number of Kunzites, one of them (that has NEVER been worn and always been in the safe) has faded to virtually white. Unfortunately, some Kunzites will fade, others won't. If it's going to fade it will and nothing will stop it. Wearing it and exposing it to normal sunlight will just speed up the process. I suspect it's the way it's been heated (or irradiated) to begin with. Also, DON'T be fooled by the "our Kunzite won't fade" spiel some presenters use. Utter rubbish.

As for getting it re-irradiated - I doubt whether you could find somebody to do this in the UK.

Does that mean I can stop keeping my kunzies in the dark?

Does that mean I can stop keeping my kunzies in the dark?

Well .......... if they're prone to fading this will speed up the process. Most Kunzites will fade if you keep them in sunlight. If you have a Kunzite that holds its colour it won't fade if you look after it but the trouble is you can't tell what you've got until it starts fading and then to begin with you think it's your eyes! Depends if you want to take the risk I guess!

Well .......... if they're prone to fading this will speed up the process. Most Kunzites will fade if you keep them in sunlight. If you have a Kunzite that holds its colour it won't fade if you look after it but the trouble is you can't tell what you've got until it starts fading and then to begin with you think it's your eyes! Depends if you want to take the risk I guess!

How long would I need to have it before I could be fairly certain it's a non-fader?

welcome Jack :)

you haven't posted this in the TJC section, but i saw a stunner on there last night. white gold with diamonds, quite big, probably about 4-5 carats - it was at £500 when i saw it.

come back & let us know if you're still looking for one, perhaps any particular style, white or yellow gold & price range, then we can post some item nos. for you?

Latest posts

Back