AAA Tanzanite

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Greenie

Addicted to bling
Just been watching James Russell doing the Tanzanite show. He said only 1%of the tanzanite which comes out of the mine is AAA grade. Now I always thought, maybe wrongly it seems, that it's the amount of heat treatment applied to the gem which determines the intensity of colour and the grading. Is this not the case, and is James correct in what he says - does it come straight out of the mine like this?

I'm afraid he's right (sorry)! Not sure it's 1% but it's certainly a low number.

Forget colour because it's normally achieved by heating all the material (unless it's one of the fancy colours).

The AAA grading (i.e. the best on the market - but not always referred to as AAA) also refers to cut, clarity as well as colour etc. So, to be able to facet a top grade stone you have to have great rough to start with. It's the rough he's referring to I would think.

Aha! So this is where Jewel Hunter Jack is..............

Some of you may recall earlier last year, our stateside friend McGemsTVaholic and some if us were trying to locate the whereabouts of Jewel Hunter Jack. We failed then....thinking he might have fallen in to a giant termite mound or even been trampled by elephants.:mysmilie_34:
But guess where he is.....in Tanzania showing how the rough is processed into gleaming blue
Tanzanite gemstones. See for yourselves...

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/exsQCqsJlck&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Thanks Meeshoo for putting me straight :mysmilie_687:

Thanks Sacha for the great video. Very informative :mysmilie_687:

All added to my gemstone knowledge bank!

Latest posts

Back