Diopside

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Klosblue

Costs nothing to be nice!
Now most of you know I cannot watch Stacey for longer than 2 minutes so it's either a massive coincidence or she's said it a lot more, but on two occasions I've turned on to TJC to hear her saying "The real diopside from Russia is called Russian Diopside. If it's called Chrome Diopside is not the real thing because the real thing comes from Russia" or something along those lines! I may be wrong, it has been known on a few very rare occasions :mysmilie_17: but from what I've read, Chrome Diopside has only ever been found in Russia (Siberia) and the name is purely a matter of choice. I believe people thought Chrome Diopside wasn't a very nice name for such a beautiful gemstone so they adopted the name Russian Diopside but it's exactly the same!

Meeshoo or anyone who knows better, please feel free to let me know.

not 1005 klos but i think chrome and russian diopside are the same thing, just a matter of choice with the name.

Klosblue said:
Now most of you know I cannot watch Stacey for longer than 2 minutes so it's either a massive coincidence or she's said it a lot more, but on two occasions I've turned on to TJC to hear her saying "The real diopside from Russia is called Russian Diopside. If it's called Chrome Diopside is not the real thing because the real thing comes from Russia" or something along those lines! I may be wrong, it has been known on a few very rare occasions :mysmilie_17: but from what I've read, Chrome Diopside has only ever been found in Russia (Siberia) and the name is purely a matter of choice. I believe people thought Chrome Diopside wasn't a very nice name for such a beautiful gemstone so they adopted the name Russian Diopside but it's exactly the same!

Meeshoo or anyone who knows better, please feel free to let me know.

Matt on Rocks TV was selling Chrome today and mentioned Russia then said I had better wait for the details before I say it's from Russia.

Diopside is found all over the world eg Austria, Finland, India, Madagascar, Myanmar, South Africa, Sri Lanka and the United States.

Chrome Diopside (a chromium rich Diopside sometimes sold under the name of Vertelite) has been found mainly in Russia and that has been the main producer for many years. However, there have been finds that are not as rich in chrome as the Russian mines in Uzbekistan and these tend to have yellow or brown tones and are less bottle green looking.

If I were buying Chrome Diopside I would want it to hail from Russia.

Thanks Meesh xx

And just to say I've bought 2 Russian Diopside rings from TJC and love them both - it really is a gawjus stone - mine are dark, yes, British Racing Green in colour and everso sparkly, and being a cheaper stone too, you gets a lot of big looks for a little money! How corny was that!

Hi Debsie, did you see the 2 on TJC this morning - the white gold with 4 Russian Diopsides surrounded by diamonds, and the yellow gold and diamond octagon cut ring? Both rings were beautiful.

If you look at Gems TV's website and search under 'Diopside' you get several pages of Chrome Diopside and only 1 item named "Russian Diopside" yet all say they originate from Russia! So what qualifies a Chrome Diopside from Russia being called a Russian Diopside? Is there any criteria (as suggested by Stacey) or is it purely choice? I've searched the internet and every site I've gone into states Chrome Diopside is from Russia as is Russian Diopside but none actually say what differentiates the two :mysmilie_73:

What I was trying to say when I started this thread is that Stacey implied that if it was 'real' Russian Diopside it was called Russian Diopside and if it was called Chrome Diopside it wasn't from Russia. This is not correct as many sites are selling Chrome Diopside from Russia and some sellers use the original name of Chrome Diopside to sell what we know from the TV jewellery channels to be Russian Diopside.

Oh dear! I know what I'm trying to say just hope everyone else does too! :mysmilie_81:

Hi Greenie

No i missed them - probably just as well as from the sounds of it I'd be a few quid poorer had I seen them! Bling buying amnesty is on the agenda right now - but I'm failing miserably!

I should bliddy well think so! Not at all hunny - how you doing? And if you are thinking Diopside go for it from TJC - mines lush! Piccies are down in the drop if you want to see it, but my photography skills are still carp so be warned! xx

Stacey either reads this forum or someone has brought this thread to her attention. Tonight she has changed what she said previously to ".........if you buy Chrome Diopside make sure it's from Russia.........."

Back again!

GemsTV are (I think) trying to be less confusing when selling gems and being more upfront. Russian Diopside doesn't really mean anything to anybody unless they know about Diopside/Russian Diopside (and just to be confusing Siberian Emerald). So my guess is that the correct terminology would be Chrome Diopside (if the gem contains chromium) and so GemsTV are trying to be clearer about how they market items and are re-branding Russian Diopside as Chrome Diopside (just my guess and I have nothing to base that on).

There is a slight price difference between Diopside and Chrome Diopside because they are different but there is no difference between Chrome Diopside and Russian Diopside as these are essentially the same thing.

Does that help KB? :mysmilie_697:

Latest posts

Back