How long for Kunzite to fade

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Anjo

Registered Shopper
Now that I have some pieces of kunzite - loose and set, I was wondering about other people's experiences of how long they've had their kunzite pieces before they notice any fade.

One of my set pieces has noticeably faded after a few weeks - but the loose pieces appear to be holding their colour.

:mysmilie_687:

Now that I have some pieces of kunzite - loose and set, I was wondering about other people's experiences of how long they've had their kunzite pieces before they notice any fade.

One of my set pieces has noticeably faded after a few weeks - but the loose pieces appear to be holding their colour.

:mysmilie_687:

Phone CS and ask befrore you arrange a replacement. Quote from a website on Kunzite which has a fading notoriety.

Kunzite is a very attractive pink gem, but is notorious for its habit of color fading in strong light. Some deep pink stones have turned nearly colorless from fading. Although the color-fading effect is not this drastic in most kunzite, it is still important not to expose kunzite gems to strong light (especially sunlight) for long periods. Kunzite is sometimes called "evening stone" for this reason. The color of some kunzite can be restored or intensified by irradiation.

thanks for such a helpful reply - however my jeweller has offered to buy the setting of the affected piece for more than I paid for the original ring - so will probably do that - that way I get to keep a what was lemon piece of Kunzite!
:mysmilie_1452:

That's what puts me off buying a large Kunzite ring which I've wanted for ages. I bought a ring and a pendant from TJC a couple of years ago. I've only worn them a few times and they are kept in a jewellery box, however while the ring is still pink the pendant is almost colourless. Sadly there's no way of telling if it's going to fade or not and is a bit 'pot luck'! However I have been advised from a very reliable source that if I do buy another then I should get the darkest/strongest colour I can afford. I really think the fading issue is something which should be pointed out at point of sale and presenters should be aware of this problem, unlike a certain female presenter on TJC who told a concerned viewer that Kunzite loves sunshine, the more the better and will NEVER fade!!!! :mysmilie_73:

Not all Kunzite fades but most does and it doesn't matter whether it's set in jewellery or a loose stone. Some will fade in weeks, others years. There's absolutely no way to tell. It depends on how each particular gem has been treated.

The other misconception is that Kunzite has to be put in sunlight to fade. Not true. I've had a piece of Kunzite in my safe - never worn - that has faded over the years. This has never been in sunlight and whilst I have never sat inside the safe(!) I'm assuming it's dark in there!

Not all Kunzite fades but most does and it doesn't matter whether it's set in jewellery or a loose stone. Some will fade in weeks, others years. There's absolutely no way to tell. It depends on how each particular gem has been treated.

The other misconception is that Kunzite has to be put in sunlight to fade. Not true. I've had a piece of Kunzite in my safe - never worn - that has faded over the years. This has never been in sunlight and whilst I have never sat inside the safe(!) I'm assuming it's dark in there!

Yep it is! Your lacky Lurgeyburgey said when you used to shove her in there to polish your gems she had to wear one of those old miner's hats so she could see :mysmilie_17:

Yep it is! Your lacky Lurgeyburgey said when you used to shove her in there to polish your gems she had to wear one of those old miner's hats so she could see :mysmilie_17:

Well I'm hoping that she used a candle because I'm not having her use my electricity - she's a cheeky monkey that one. Don't know where my batteries went either but when she started working for me they seemed to disappear! Strange that!

:mysmilie_11:

I've still got me old helmet with a light on the front, from when I worked the coalface. The batteries mostly went on me canary, 'cos I found the only way to make it sing was to shove one up it's botty. xxxxx

I've still got me old helmet with a light on the front, from when I worked the coalface. The batteries mostly went on me canary, 'cos I found the only way to make it sing was to shove one up it's botty. xxxxx

OMG that's what those yellow feathers were in the bottom of my safe? Eugh.

*runs to phone to call RSPCA*

Same here.............

My Brazilian Kunzite pendant faded within months despite being seldom worn and always stored in its box!
I do hope the same thing doesn't happen with Patroke Kunzite.......albeit a much deeper pink to start with!

This has put me right off buying Kunzite as it's the lovely pink colour that attracted me in the first place. Maybe I should stick to Morganite, although that's quite a bit more peachy, or does that fade as well?

None of my Morganite has faded Jacqualina so hopefully it's just Kunzite. I love Kunzite but I'd be gutted if I paid several hundred pounds to go to wear it one day and find it colourless! I know you can get it fairly cheap some places now but it's very pale and I wouldn't waste my money on it.

None of my Morganite has faded Jacqualina so hopefully it's just Kunzite. I love Kunzite but I'd be gutted if I paid several hundred pounds to go to wear it one day and find it colourless! I know you can get it fairly cheap some places now but it's very pale and I wouldn't waste my money on it.

Morganite can fade too I'm afraid -seems less prone than Kunzite though.

Thanks for some interesting responses - interesting the Kunzite appears to fade even when stored in dark. I think the answer is to just enjoy what I have in whatever colour it is while I can..............

:mysmilie_946:

Its such a shame about the fading, i have to have admit to being reluctant to buy any more since i found out.

I suppose there's no way to find that out before you buy a particular piece? Or is there still an element of 'pot luck' involved?

One should never assume anything Meeshoo - maybe it's a quantum physics thing, a bit like Schrodinger's cat & the inside of the safe is actually both in light and darkness at the same time.........would explain the fading! :mysmilie_697:

One should never assume anything Meeshoo - maybe it's a quantum physics thing, a bit like Schrodinger's cat & the inside of the safe is actually both in light and darkness at the same time.........would explain the fading! :mysmilie_697:

NB: No cats have been harmed during the construction of this theory.

Latest posts

Back