Have I Missed a Trick Here??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

jacqualina

Registered Shopper
Just watching a bit of Jerrilee, who I must admit is much improved, and she was showing a Padparadscha Sapphire ring. She assured us several times that it was from Sri Lanka and not beryllium filled. I thought fissures and cavities coud be filled in sapphires and rubies and that these stones can be diffused with beryllium for colour enhancement, but can you fill with beryllium? I'm now confused, but feel that any sapphire/ruby we buy on these channels is probably heavily treated in some way, because when it's not, they are really keen to trumpet it from the rooftops.

Mmmm now is Jerrilee saying it's not "beryllium filled" because she is stupid or is she being very clever saying that because it would be true, considering beryllium is a form of heat treatment and not a filler - see what I mean?

They claim their Padparadscha sapphires are natural but I'm afraid whilst the natural bit may be true, I would never class them as being Padparadscha as the colour is that of a pink sapphire and not the orange/pink colour that Padparadscha should be! A real Padparadscha is a very expensive gemstone and there's no way this channel would be selling something much cheaper when everything else is much more expensive than other TV jewellery channels.

This is a link about Beryllium Treatment:-
http://www.gemselect.com/gem-info/berylliumtreatment.php

This link explains and shows Padparadschas:-
http://www.collectorfinejewelry.com/buyers_guide_padparadscha.htm

Compare the colours of these. The first pic is from Rocks & Co's website and the second is from the Padparadscha Buying Guide. Just look at the difference in colour - the Rocks 'Padparadscha' is pink and imho just a normal pink sapphire.

Attachments

• Rocks Padparadscha.jpg
    Rocks Padparadscha.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 183
  • padparadscha.jpg
    padparadscha.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 192
Thanks Klos for the links and the piccies. I also think their colour is far too pink to be real padparadscha, treated or not treated. I had a number of pieces from Gems and they were quite a different colour. (Haven't heard from them yet re treatments of my pieces though).
I don't think she was trying to be clever because she was comparing it to their padparadscha colour sapphire from Madagascar (so this clearly IS beryllium 'filled'!). I think she must be mixing the fissure filling and beryllium diffusion together to come up with beryllium filled. I never used to like her at all, but compared to the presenters they have at the moment on Gems, she was really quite calm and easy to watch this afternoon. Never thought I'd say that!

Jacqualina - if you read my post the other day ranting about Tony Diniz's side stepping you'll see he did very much the same. BE diffusion is not about filling per se. It's about turning a crap coloured sapphire into a pretty looking sapphire. Filling is another process.

You have to ask yourself whether you trust this company? I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. I don't believe what they say, I don't believe their pricing, I can buy better gemstones at better prices and I won't deal with a dishonest company. However, it's horses for courses! If you do decide to buy a Pad from them, please contact me because I can tell you where to get it tested for BE diffusion.

As far as the gem trade goes, it's worth considering the best effort to date to try to bring some kind of standard to the topic. In April 2007, the Laboratory Manual Harmonisation Committee (LMHC), a committee with representatives from the world's leading gem labs, published a statement on Padparadscha Sapphire ("Information Sheet #4). Here are the main points:

----------------------------------------

Padparadscha sapphire is a variety of corundum from any geographical origin whose color is a subtle mixture of pinkish orange to orangey pink with pastel tones, and low to medium saturation.

The name 'padparadscha sapphire' SHALL NOT be applied in the following cases:

* If the stone has any colour modifier other than pink or orange.

* If the stone has major uneven colour distribution when viewed with the unaided eye and the table up +/- 30 degrees

* If the stone has been treated by lattice diffusion of a foreign element, treated by irradiation or dyed, coated, painted, etc.

------------------------------------------

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a whimp but if I upset someone, and I mean by accident I can't sleep that night cos I would hate for someone to be upset because of me. I don't understand how these presenters can sleep at night knowing they are at best tricking but at worst lying. I don't care if it is symantics or careful use of words, when you strip it to basics it is just not right :(

PJ

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a whimp but if I upset someone, and I mean by accident I can't sleep that night cos I would hate for someone to be upset because of me. I don't understand how these presenters can sleep at night knowing they are at best tricking but at worst lying. I don't care if it is symantics or careful use of words, when you strip it to basics it is just not right :(
PJ

I know what you mean PJ - if I thought I'd told somebody something incorrect (no matter how trivial!) on a forum thread I would be horribly upset, never mind (as the awful Jeremy Kyle would say) on national television.....! lol

Either they're too stupid to actually realise they're talking utter BS & think they're giving correct advice/information, (or are just repeating what they've been told to say by somebody else!), or, they really are out to deceitfully deny, confuse etc.

Either way, not a company I would wish to deal with as I prefer not to give my money to either the intensely stupid or the downright dishonest1

Thanks Meesh, but I wasn't considering buying one, just commenting on her statement. No, I've learned my lesson as I have about six pieces from the original Gems Ceylon Padparadscha and though I sent an email last week, I haven't heard a thing. Suppose I should contact them again, I thought I'd at least get an acknowledgement of my email.

Latest posts

Back