Any opinions on ideal worlds pick of the day today. Item no. 162155
Four Potato Grow Pod Kit with 2.5kg Growmore Fertilser and 4 Hessian Sacks

£19.99

£5.99 P&P

Is it good value for money

Thanks

TC

Seems dear to me.

Marshalls have an offer on for 3 sacks, 3 varieties and also fertiliser for £10.95 + P and P which is £3.95.

See here:

http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/potato-gro-sack-taster-kit-3-x-varieties-pid2032.html

Not so dear. The total price of the IW deal is £25.98 and the Marshalls deal £14.80. However for the extra the IW package contains the 4 hessian sacks, an extra 4 tubers and a much larger amount of fertiliser - 2.5kg as opposed to 75g. The IW 'growing pods' are also of a 50% higher capacity (@ 60l) than the 40l variant Marshalls supply.

So IW works out at £1.50 dearer per kit. That's a lot to me ;)
But I've noticed they include some hessian sacks too which is a plus point.

I hadn't realised the pods were bigger - I'd say to be careful there as it means shelling out for more compost and once you've filled them, you wouldn't be able to move them as they'd be too heavy.

I also think I'd be more inclined to trust Marshalls - especially as they don't stock "variants" - they were the ones that developed the grow pod idea:mysmilie_61:

I prefer the look of the bag material on the marhshall's site - it looks more hardwearing. The IW bags look like the same stuff tarpaulins are made of and I find I have to buy a new one every year as they split.

I got these last year and they are very good buy. Ideal World have got it right with the quality of the gardening plants, but postage is high. I did not get the hessian sacks that would have been good for storage.

I found the quality of Marshalls products in the past to be disapointing, but that may not be the case now.

I got these last year and they are very good buy. Ideal World have got it right with the quality of the gardening plants, but postage is high. I did not get the hessian sacks that would have been good for storage.

I found the quality of Marshalls products in the past to be disapointing, but that may not be the case now.

I agree, thermroc. IW knocks spots off a certain other shopping channel's gardening stuff and I've got the hots for the gardening guy...:angel:

We bought these last year - not from IW though. We were very pleased with the result . We have bought some more seed potatoes this year and will use the same bags. We only used ordinary potting compost and fed them occasionally with general purpose liquid fertilizer.

Latest posts

Back