Can't buy it anywhere cheaper....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Makro is a cash and carry tho, and the price is £89.99 + vat = £105.73 so its not really a true comparrason.

There are retail places alot cheaper than IW granted.

Bum, just bought the black Panasonic Micro from Makro, and now it's £10 cheaper:dull:

Makro is a cash and carry tho, and the price is £89.99 + vat = £105.73 so its not really a true comparrason.

There are retail places alot cheaper than IW granted.

OK you pay the tax at the till but you then claim it back on your VAT return, so it is a true comparison :confused2:

Judging by previous posts about the Actifry's safety, you can achieve the same results with a box of matches , 99p from most good supermarkets.

I've had mine for 18 months. I use it to make casseroles, even jam. Since my husband had a coronary, I use it most weeks. Its particularly good for fish if you want a change from steamed or baked. I wash it well after each use and take the filter out and make sure it is really clean. I operate it on a work surface where there is loads of room for the air to circulate around it and I've never had a problem

Or self employed, which more people are these days :happy:

ah, not being self employed myself, i had no idea about this!

if you put purchases through your 'books/tax return', don't they have to be at least related to whatever area you're self-employed in then? so on this say you'd have to be a home-cook, run a cafe or something??

for our business, i know it's safe to put office consumables, stuff for the lads at the workshop like toilet roll, kitchen roll & things thru the books but the tax/vat man will pick up on more unusal purchases!
"ah well, see the lads were getting bored at lunchtime, so we bought them this lovely 50" plasma to play with..." :angel:

Last edited:
I've had mine for 18 months. I use it to make casseroles, even jam. Since my husband had a coronary, I use it most weeks. Its particularly good for fish if you want a change from steamed or baked. I wash it well after each use and take the filter out and make sure it is really clean. I operate it on a work surface where there is loads of room for the air to circulate around it and I've never had a problem

I agree completely, Tasi - I've had mine for ages and love it to pieces, I'm willing to take the risk of the fire warning in return for the results it produces, I also never leave it unattended, as I'd never dream of leaving a bubbling chip pan unattended.

ah, not being self employed myself, i had no idea about this!

if you put purchases through your 'books/tax return', don't they have to be at least related to whatever area you're self-employed in then? so on this say you'd have to be a home-cook, run a cafe or something??

for our business, i know it's safe to put office consumables, stuff for the lads at the workshop like toilet roll, kitchen roll & things thru the books but the tax/vat man will pick up on more unusal purchases!
"ah well, see the lads were getting bored at lunchtime, so we bought them this lovely 50" plasma to play with..." :angel:

I'm officially termed as a self employed health worker but you'd not be able to tell that by the items I've purchased and claimed back on my tax return fromMakro/Costco, I'm always upfront and have never had my claims queried or refused. I think if you don't take the piss the I/R are fine.....saying that I've bought a washing machine for my mum, 2 petrol lawn mowers and a 42" telly in this financial year, so who knows! :sweat:

interesting information Anna. i don't know if this will be the same for self employed, but our accountant now includes a separate insurance policy cover with their service for Tax inspections & any resulting fall out from them. new rules were brought in April 2009 & HMRC now have a lot more power than they used to have & they're 'going for it' in a big way to clamp down on what's claimed/how things are run to claw back revenue.

if you use an accountant, it might be worth a check with them before you put your next return in. good luck!

interesting information Anna. i don't know if this will be the same for self employed, but our accountant now includes a separate insurance policy cover with their service for Tax inspections & any resulting fall out from them. new rules were brought in April 2009 & HMRC now have a lot more power than they used to have & they're 'going for it' in a big way to clamp down on what's claimed/how things are run to claw back revenue.

if you use an accountant, it might be worth a check with them before you put your next return in. good luck!

Thanks for the heads up, Lexxy.......I'd heard they were going to be shaking things up abit but thought it was more on the tax dodgers side!

Anna, you do have to be careful what you claim for and maybe you've just been lucky up till now?

I did a delivery job for a while and I wasn't even allowed to claim for waterproofs and boots...if my boots had had steel toecaps it would have been OK, as it was protective!

So as a healthworker, you might be able to claim for uniform, but petrol lawnmowers etc is taking the pee just a tad!! :tongue:

Latest posts

Back