Chloe and Emeralds

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sapphireblue

Registered Shopper
Hello everyone

I just got back from a cruise in the Caribbean and ever port we stopped in had jewellery shops. I recognised TJC Tanzanite boxes (Rhaposdy and Iliana) in many of the stores. Very pricy. On our ship we had Rhapsody Tanzanite and Emeralds.

When Chloe says that Emerals are very expensive they are! I could not believe the prices of some pieces and people were buying!
I tried on a 4.5ct emerald with 2 diamonds and the price was over $48,000. Another of 5ct $55,000. The jeweller said that they price the best emeralds at $6k per ct I remember seeing a 5ct plus emerald a while ago on TJC, can't remember the price but it was not as expensive as the the Caribbean emeralds.
Also they had a 25ct Emerald cut Tanzanite stone and this was $18,000 (rhapsody box)

I have been spoilt by TJC and didn't buy anything! I did get comments about my Rhapsody emerald and tanzanite rings but I didn't let on that they came for TJC.

Sapphireblue

The jewellery shops on ships always have ridiculous prices, I'm surprised they ever sell anything, but then most of the people don't know about TJC, unlike us canny buyers:tongue:

Always makes me laugh that they think you don't know anything about jewellery either, one of them told me you couldn't get Alexandrite anywhere other than Russia, and that it was no longer available. Needless to say they had some RA at exorbitant prices, had great colour change but was very heavily included.

One of the talks we went to was even rubbishing Tanzanite from 'those shopping channels', which of course, didn't have any of the good stuff :grin:

Hello everyone

I just got back from a cruise in the Caribbean and ever port we stopped in had jewellery shops. I recognised TJC Tanzanite boxes (Rhaposdy and Iliana) in many of the stores. Very pricy. On our ship we had Rhapsody Tanzanite and Emeralds.

When Chloe says that Emerals are very expensive they are! I could not believe the prices of some pieces and people were buying!
I tried on a 4.5ct emerald with 2 diamonds and the price was over $48,000. Another of 5ct $55,000. The jeweller said that they price the best emeralds at $6k per ct I remember seeing a 5ct plus emerald a while ago on TJC, can't remember the price but it was not as expensive as the the Caribbean emeralds.
Also they had a 25ct Emerald cut Tanzanite stone and this was $18,000 (rhapsody box)

I have been spoilt by TJC and didn't buy anything! I did get comments about my Rhapsody emerald and tanzanite rings but I didn't let on that they came for TJC.

Sapphireblue

Ooooh lucky lady! Which ship did you sail on and the prices you quoted...were they from the ship or on shore stores.....
if I may ask? Did you get to St Thomas, USVI?

Don't buy anything on cruise ships - they're total rip-offs and well known for it.

Also, please please please be very careful buying anything in jewellery shops where you dock (normally in the Carribean). You don't always get what you think you've paid for. :(

Hi all

We stopped in St Thomas (very nice) and our ship was the Celebrity Equinox.
I got quotes on shore for diamonds, emerald and tanzanite. The big emeralds were on the ship.
I agree with Meeshoo, the prices on the ship and I expect other cruise ships are very expensive but I must say that the Tanzanite and Emeralds looked very good. I tried on a 2ct pear shape tanzanite with diamonds .4ct(pave) and I think that it was vivid (not an expert) price $1800 in 18ct gold with a discount. I think if I wanted the ring we could have haggled but I didn't.

My husband was very pleased with me for not wanting anything from the jewellers on the ship and ports. In the end he bought me a silver cufflet which is very nice but paid too much for it. (he got a bit cross when I said that its cheaper at home)

I was taken aback with "charms".
Everywhere we went they had silver charms or silver and gemstone charms all very similar to the Rock TV charms. The prices for silver was very expensive a very light weight silver charms was $12 and the branded silver bracelets (fat sort of rounded snake chains) $55 which I thought was expensive. The charms were $25 each for the ones you thread onto the chain and similar prices for the bolt clasp onto a traditional bracelet.

Sapphireblue

I took a wander down Bond Street a couple of weeks ago, my idea of heaven! Anyway, the only piece of jewellery I could see the price on was a pair of emerald & diamond earrings, price: £885,000. I kid you not, I had to go back a couple of times to make sure I'd read it right!

It did make me laugh a little, looking in the windows at the fantastic bling, thinking of all the times I've heard them say on the jewellery channels "You'll see this sort of thing on Bond Street..." etc, but when you see the real deal on Bond Street, it's like the difference between pebbles and diamonds. I don't know who's buying the Bond Street stuff, Arabian Princes? Russian oliagarchs? Footballers (maybe the little pieces)? I wish I could afford to put my foot through the door and not just press my sweaty little nose up against the window!!

Oh yeah, and I would love to go on a cruise, am very envious of anyone who does.

Latest posts

Back