AAA+ is not a grade you see often

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

G

Graham

Guest Shopper
Lucy Hunt is at it again, AAA+ is not often seen, no because you make the grading up.

Lucy Hunt said tonight that she worked in a high end jewellers before GemsTV, does the boss ever watch this woman? I live shopping telly and people like Lucy Hunt destroy to credibility.

As I finshed typing she have gone up an octive she is now shouting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All those "collectors" and it never sold. Lucy you should be ashamed of yourself.

All those "collectors" and it never sold. Lucy you should be ashamed of yourself.

I must agree with you. They seem to mention lots of collectors poised to buy the jewels on show, and yet when the price drops, not all (and maybe only a few) items are ever sold. :angry: Either the collectors are on the phone but are not interested in the final price, or the collectors dont exist in the 1st place. Not sure which it is :sad:

A bit off topic, sorry, but I've noticed most, if not all customers, are now called 'collectors'. I love jewellery and have stacks of it but I still wouldn't call myself a collector...that sounds like someone who puts it in a glass case and obsesses about getting a certain gem. I just like pretty, sparkly fine jewellery so I wish they'd find another term for the people buying their jewellery.

I dont spend as much of my shopping telly viewing time on gemstv any more - i have to agree, its the price hoike, especially on the silver items, that just put me right off - particularly, as has been mentioned, you can get superior silver pieces for far less on TJC. I watched briefly the other day, and noticed Lucy still hits the high octaves - and then there is a new girl (havent a clue who she is) and she seemed to have the gift of the verbal waffle too -

I cant get over the AAA+ - sounds like a bra sizing! lol

A bit off topic, sorry, but I've noticed most, if not all customers, are now called 'collectors'. I love jewellery and have stacks of it but I still wouldn't call myself a collector...that sounds like someone who puts it in a glass case and obsesses about getting a certain gem. I just like pretty, sparkly fine jewellery so I wish they'd find another term for the people buying their jewellery.

Adina also calls us 'Connoisseurs' .............are we? :wink:
Referring to us as 'Customers' makes use of the third 'C'.......
but we all know there are 4 C's when it comes to gemstones! :happy:

I don't know if Gems still obtain any Block D material, but if the AAA+ Tanzanite is now meant to be its equivalent,
that would justify the higher prices and grading.
Thinking.gif

Last edited:
Oh God, Matt is doing it on Rocks now... if you're a collector... methinks he spent too long at gems.....

N xxx

It irritates the hell out of me 'collectors'! I think it is used as a subliminal message, keep saying it to us and we will believe we are, thus buy more! Hasn't worked here for me! :devil:

The AAA grading does exist and was, for some time, promoted by Tanzanite One. GemsTV then started adding to it and had AAAA and AAA+! However, the AAA grading system is arbitrary and what somebody called AA another called AAA as there was no reference.

GIA has always had a grading system consisting of tone/saturation/hue which DOES have a sound base and can be quantified.

This explains the different grading systems:

http://www.lapigems.com/tanzanite_buying_guide.asp

HOWEVER, Tanzanite One has now decided to have yet another grading system:

http://www.tanzaniteone.com/announcements/announcement_2010_02_01_operational_marketing_update.pdf

What's very very interesting in this article is the amount of Tanzanite actually mined in 2009!!!!

Not only that but it's also worthy of note that Tanzanite One are getting their less saturated gems cut by precision cutters. This will of course mean lovely cut gemstones but a slightly lighter colour with a good performance.

I figured out that they call customers 'collectors' so that we feel less guilty about buying lots. After all, who needs that much bling? But, of course, it's a different matter if you're a collector...

And I think I must have caught the bug, because I do sometimes tell people that I 'collect' antique jewellery. I don't think I'd say I 'collect' jewellery from jewellery channels, though, because it sounds too naff... only one up from the Franklin Mint.

The AAA grading does exist and was, for some time, promoted by Tanzanite One. GemsTV then started adding to it and had AAAA and AAA+! However, the AAA grading system is arbitrary and what somebody called AA another called AAA as there was no reference.

GIA has always had a grading system consisting of tone/saturation/hue which DOES have a sound base and can be quantified.

This explains the different grading systems:

http://www.lapigems.com/tanzanite_buying_guide.asp

HOWEVER, Tanzanite One has now decided to have yet another grading system:

http://www.tanzaniteone.com/announcements/announcement_2010_02_01_operational_marketing_update.pdf

What's very very interesting in this article is the amount of Tanzanite actually mined in 2009!!!!

Not only that but it's also worthy of note that Tanzanite One are getting their less saturated gems cut by precision cutters. This will of course mean lovely cut gemstones but a slightly lighter colour with a good performance.

From the link you kindly provided I see they exceeded their target for 2009 and mined 1.91 million carats
at a grade of 51 carats per tonne. Now I wonder how this compares to the previous year and how this all
might relate to the mine's speculated life expectancy?

Hooray! Although it is a shame they haven't done this before, some nice Tanzanite has been mullered by poor cuts!

I figured out that they call customers 'collectors' so that we feel less guilty about buying lots. After all, who needs that much bling? But, of course, it's a different matter if you're a collector...

And I think I must have caught the bug, because I do sometimes tell people that I 'collect' antique jewellery. I don't think I'd say I 'collect' jewellery from jewellery channels, though, because it sounds too naff... only one up from the Franklin Mint.

Superb! Made me chuckle! :grin:

so year on year, there's actually more coming out of the ground now?!

interesting information for the 'worlds rarest gemstone that will run out in less than 10 years' according to various presenters...

Last night I was giving my husband a drunken ramble about the history of tanzanite and how it's got a good bit of mining life left in it yet, based on the info on that site Meeshoo posted and he said, "How depressing. It was discovered the year before I was born and by the sound of it, it's got more life left in it than I have"

N x

Latest posts

Back