Rhapsody Channel Set Diamond Ring

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sapphireblue

Registered Shopper
Hi all

I have been bought a lovely 1ct Rhapsody 8 round diamonds channel set ring that needs to be resized, Size "O" is too big for my hands.

I can't take my eye off the ring, the diamonds they are beautiful.
Has any one purchased a similar item in gold or platinum from TJC?
Did you use Maker Mends ring sizing service? If yse, was was the outcome?

I don't know what to do? Any thoughts?

Sapphireblue

I've got a half carat channel set 18k iliana white gold ring (princess and baguettes) and I used MakerMends to re-size it down to M from O and they had no problems. Service was prompt and good - sent it royal mail insured (5.95 for up to 500), would recommend them.

I've got a half carat channel set 18k iliana white gold ring (princess and baguettes) and I used MakerMends to re-size it down to M from O and they had no problems. Service was prompt and good - sent it royal mail insured (5.95 for up to 500), would recommend them.

Hi Klara,
Thank you! I am please that you had a good result.
I am a ring size J/K outside of the recommended 3 up 3 down.
Sometimes I wish my fingers were bigger!

Sapphireblue

Sadly, I think there'll be problems with sizing it down to a J/K because of the channel setting. I'm sure if you phoned MakerMends they'd be able to tell you for definite.

I get soooo frustrated when I see lovely rings and know there's no point in ordering them because they can't be re-sized down to an i ...... sometimes I wish I had bigger fingers too.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Lucky you Sapphireblue, as you are sizing 4 sizes down (which is alot for a channel setting) i would take it in person to a local jeweller to see what they say.
I'm not sure if TJC use the same jewellery as they did about 3 years ago but i had a terrible ordeal with them, they totally ruined my ring and refused to see any problem with it even thought the Customer services manager at the time saw it herself and agreed it was disgraceful! this wasn't a channel set band though so not realy a good comparison, having said that i have a feeling they did change their jeweller as there were many many problems.
Hope you get it sorted and i was love to see a picture x

Sadly, I think there'd be problems with sizing it down to a J/K because of the channel setting. I'm sure if you phoned MakerMends they'd be able to tell you for definite.

I get soooo frustrated when I see lovely rings and know there's no point in ordering them because they can't be re-sized down to an i ...... sometimes I wish I had bigger fingers too.

Good luck.

I agree i'm a J/K and it drives me mad! :angry:

I'd be very surprised if any jeweller would risk resizing a channel set ring by that much. Obviously I'm not a jeweller but I'd be very cautious as it would be terrible to have it ruined.

Must admit M is a bit large for me but it does, used to be a J/K so know the problem. Was very pleased with MakerMends and I think my 3 stone iliana .75 carat diamond went to them when I lost the centre .30 point stone and TJC stood the cost of the stone and repair - it only cost me £100 which is very good.

Would you consider wearing it on your middle finger? Most people's middle fingers are bigger than their ring fingers, so it might require less resizing.

Of course if it is intended as an eternity ring, that wouldn't really be an option...

Hi all

I have been bought a lovely 1ct Rhapsody 8 round diamonds channel set ring that needs to be resized, Size "O" is too big for my hands.

I can't take my eye off the ring, the diamonds they are beautiful.
Has any one purchased a similar item in gold or platinum from TJC?
Did you use Maker Mends ring sizing service? If yse, was was the outcome?

I don't know what to do? Any thoughts?

Sapphireblue

Hello there, I bought similar 8 stone precision set ring a little while ago, it was supposed to an N but was bigger. I was too nervous about the
setting to have it sized down to M so the jeweller added a small ball of gold in the shank instead. Have to turn it round when I'm driving but apart from that it's fine. Probably only suitable if you only need to go down no more than a size?
Makermends do a good job, give them a ring, they are very helpful:hi:

Postscript: Sorry SBlue - when I logged on could only see first two posts - didnt see your ring size till too late!

Last edited:
First of all if a jeweller says they can do this you need to get a cast iron guarantee from them that should you lose a diamond within 12 months of the re-sizing they will replace for free. The reason I'm saying this is that you shouldn't re-size channel set rings. A half size larger or possibly 1 size larger can be done but has a multitude of risks. Any more than that and you're seriously affecting the integrity of the ring.

Look at it this way, when you make a ring smaller, you cut the back of the shank and then push the sides in (not quite accurate but you get the idea). So now imagine you're a diamond, held snugly between a channel. When the squeezing to make smaller takes place, you're bending the channel so that it becomes a different shape. This can lead to the diamond being chipped, fractured or worked loose. It's like a size 14 squeezing into a size 10. You know how uncomfy that is - imagine how the poor diamond will feel!

Unfortunately not all problems will be apparent immediately and what might happen is you're wearing what you think is a perfectly sized ring and look down to find missing diamonds.

Other options are to buy the snuggy things that fit onto the back of the ring to make it smaller - not a great look but they work, or as others have suggested wear on a different finger OR have "beads" put inside the shank to make it smaller. This aren't seen and do the job BUT you are left with the ring the same size as before so it can look like the ring is too big (but at least it won't slip and slide on your finger).

Hi Meeshoo,
Maker Mends said that they may be able to resize however they don't take any responsibility if I have problems. I love the channel set style however I think this one is going back. I will check out if I can get a ring made up to my size in Hatton Garden.

thank you for the info and advice.

Sapphireblue

Such a shame about the problems re-sizing this style of ring Sapphire, I bet it looks gorgeous irl, why not take a couple of pics of it before its returned......just in case you want it replicated in Hatton Garden.......
and so that we can see it also? :happy: Maybe?

I can see the logic in the channels making all the rings the same size where they can be resized, but really, it doesn't make a lot of sense when they can't be resized, does it? They must be losing quite a bit of business that way.

Hello all,
Thank you all for your input and advice.
I can send to maker mends for an assessment however I don't think that this is going to work.
I have the option of getting a ring made to fit my finger but it's not the same! I like this one.
I am feeling very sad and wish that TJC would take on board that there is a demand for channel set rings in smaller sizes. I am sure that they would sell more!

The product code is 619489
http://www.thejewellerychannel.tv/TJC_NaturalSearch.aspx

I have some pictures below (not very good from my blackberry) The diamonds are very good and sparkle and twinkle all the time

Sapphireblue

Attachments

• 619489.jpg
    619489.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG00110-20100401-0848.jpg
    IMG00110-20100401-0848.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG00111-20100401-0848.jpg
    IMG00111-20100401-0848.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 208
Sapphireblue - a few years ago, TJC actually started saying when things couldn't be resized or that they could only be resized 1 size up or down. They seem to have stopped doing that and it's a shame.

I know somewhere you could get this made so I'll PM you the details.

Latest posts

Back