Message from Rocks

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

wibblypig

Registered Shopper
Hi all,

I just got this on facebook and i'm not sure who amongst you uses so i've copied it here so those who don't can read. Hope that's ok...havn't posted for a while due to shall we say...unrest.

Apologies and Explanations
As a family owned jewellery business, we are totally passionate about offering not only the lowest prices for jewellery on the planet, but also pride ourselves in offering the very highest standard of service.

Right now we are deeply saddened that our service is not where it should be in the respect of us not fulfilling 100% of all customers orders. Let me explain how the majority of the problems have occurred. On the early hours of Tuesday the 6th of April we had a robbery at our main jewellery vault, where jewellery was stolen and the entire jewellery vault turned into what I can only describe as a tip! In an attempt to resume service as quickly as possible, our software team amended certain pieces of code, such that a stock take could be implemented on just the vault which was burgled. Luckily we managed to get back on air broadcasting our shows within several hours of the break-in, however the disruption to the vault meant we could not ship jewellery for several days, as we desperately tried to rebuild and check many thousands of vault locations!

To make matters worse our programmers made an error in the code, which meant that when the same item of jewellery had been stored in more than one separate vault location in the warehouse, even after the post robbery stock check, the data in our system did not reflect the true combined stock figures and as we were selling items from the second vault location it was not deleting the available stock from our records, causing us to over sell on many lines. To compound the issue, we have also uncovered that when several web bidders click on the buy button at the same time, especially at the end of auctions with limited stocks, the system is attributing stock to both orders, which of course in the real world can not happen. This issue we are still trying to resolve.

Unfortunately there has been 9.2% of orders during the period since the robbery were we have been unable to fill one or more items in a customer order. We are very sorry about this issue and every member of the family (including John Bennett who is stuck in Mumbai at the moment as he can’t get a flight home due to volcanic ash) is working hard at resolving the issue. The only lucky thing I guess, is that as we don’t charge customers credit-cards till the day the jewellery leaves our premises and as our phone numbers are all freephone numbers, nobody has been financially disadvantaged, however I fully understand how let down and disappointed many of you must feel.

Burglaries, volcanic ash and software problems, I never predicted this all happening as we handed out Easter Eggs on Easter Sunday! Since our auction launched on Sky on the 6th of January 2010 our growth has surpassed our wildest imagination and we would like to thank you all for your support through these difficult weeks and in an attempt to make sure this apology reaches everyone who has been effected by this situation, please feel free to distribute this apology letter to anyone you know is a customer of ours, post it on other websites, email to anyone, place it on Facebook etc etc.

Steve Bennett
CEO
Coloured Rocks Limited

It's a shame Sreve Bennett himself could not have come on here to post that himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've got to feel sorry for them. It's a catalogue of disasters. I hope they get everything fixed and all orders can be processed and fulfilled. However, from reading other threads, problems also occurred before all this and when RocksTV went onto Sky - which is understandable as you'd hope that this would have generated more orders.

I know that this isn't always practicable but sometimes when things go as wrong as Steve has described, shutting down for a few days to stock check and rebuild the systems would have been preferable. I appreciate that this means a big hit to profits BUT I'm pretty sure all the loyal customers would have stood by and understood.

Let's hope that Steve and the family get everything back up and running again soon.

ps Graham - I agree. I know there have been differences BUT there is a large customer base on this forum who buy from RocksTV and I'm sure they would have appreciated hearing from Steve direct.

Last edited:
They really have been going through a rough time and this email explains a lot and I do sympathise with them. I've been critical on another thread, but they are trying hard to rectify the situation.
I've had a crummy day today with both my parents being unwell and my husband stuck abroad and I got home to an answerphone message to phone Rocks about my latest order. Well, they were really friendly and apologetic, but (wouldn't you just know it?) the one piece I wanted most in the whole (large) order is missing (as were two pieces from my last order, but they didn't let me know about that). The explanation was the same as Steve's email and they have noted it on my account and have asked me to phone them next week to see if a replacement batch has come in. It was a gorgeous 17ct red rutile quartz 9k yellow gold ring and I'm sooo disappointed, but they are clearly trying to sort out matters and it's most refreshing to hear an apology these days. Fingers and toes crossed I'll get my ring one day, just hope I can summon up enthusiasm for the rest of the order when it arrives on Thursday.

P.S. I also would have appreciated very much if Steve had come back onto the forum with this explanation.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that, I don't always check my facebook. I recieved my ring today and can say it was worth the bit of hassle I had.
I will still continue to buy from them, as before things started to go a bit pear shaped I had always had first class service and delivery and it sounds like he intends to get it back that way.

My first purchase from what at the time was coloured rocks was in April 2008 and it was a gorgous 1ct black diamond solitair ring before they had the auction site later that year,In the time since then i have bought literally hundreds of pieces of jewellery from them and i can honestly say i have never had any problems at all and I'm sure there is loads of peeps like me.I know some folks have had problems and I'm really sorry about that because of course when we are disappionted we want to tell others which is understandable but people like me rarely bother to tell others if its all good so for all the people who have had a bad experiance can i say stick with it because I'm sure they will get back on track very soon

Milly, I am glad that your experience has been and continues to be so positive. Up until very recently I would have been able to write an almost identical post to yours but recently (and some things have happened before the robbery/volcano/etc) I am disappointed by the changes in service provided.

I haven't posted about a current issue I am having with Rocks which has left me feeling extremely let down. I am not someone who likes to vent on here when there is so much negativity about already - I am far more likely to post when I have something positive to share with everyone. However, I can honestly say that recent events have led to me feeling very unimpressed and, as a former "Rockaholic" who has supported them through thick and thin since their early days, feeling less and less confident in their ability to deliver.

They really did have the best customer serviced anyone could have hoped for. But now it is definitly wobbly.
I really do sympathise with them over the robbery and the difficulty of setting up a new channel,however does this explain items disappearing from basket,no confirmation e-mail or delivery checking service ,and sending out damaged items,saying there is no more stock when the next day 6 appear on an auction.
I really like the people on this channel but perhaps the present service needs to return to it's former glory.

IMO it has been excuse after excuse since they have been on Sky and personally can see no advantages of being a family run business.

I'm just catching up on all that seems to have been happening, what a shocker! :whew: Maybe they really should have just shut up shop until all problems were sorted. The apology is a good idea but a bit to late for those that have had the problems and abandoned ship already, I think it will take a bit more than that to coax them back. :wink:

Graham said:
IMO it has been excuse after excuse since they have been on Sky and personally can see no advantages of being a family run business.

I am sorry but this is just not fair. How can you say that their vault being robbed and (by the sounds of it) an impossible to predict software problem excuses? They are reasons in my book. How many other channels would even admit to the robbery?

I think as administrator by saying things like this you have answered your own question about why RocksTV didn't come and post here.

Hope this doesn't sound rude x

I am sorry but this is just not fair. How can you say that their vault being robbed and (by the sounds of it) an impossible to predict software problem excuses? They are reasons in my book. How many other channels would even admit to the robbery?

I think as administrator by saying things like this you have answered your own question about why RocksTV didn't come and post here.

Hope this doesn't sound rude x

I said it has been excuse after excuse, I never said anything about the robbery. The first week on air they were behind with deliveries.

I don't want Rocks TV tom come on here for me, I want them to come on here for THEIR customers. I know for a fact that RocksTV do still read this forum so why do they not answer peoples issues.

BTW Did Sarah Bennett answer your email about her collection?

Sadly not. Maybe they feel they have said they are her work (which I heard) already. Would have been nice to get a reply. Might call them ;-)

I said it has been excuse after excuse, I never said anything about the robbery. The first week on air they were behind with deliveries.

I don't want Rocks TV tom come on here for me, I want them to come on here for THEIR customers. I know for a fact that RocksTV do still read this forum so why do they not answer peoples issues.

BTW Did Sarah Bennett answer your email about her collection?

I am in agreement with you Graham - all of what you mention above, is a fair comment to make. I know for a fact that they do read the postings on this forum - I have had an experience regarding a posting i made - which has put me off posting any further comments on this forum. :talking: :wonder: xxx

persianglitter said:
I am in agreement with you Graham - all of what you mention above, is a fair comment to make. I know for a fact that they do read the postings on this forum - I have had an experience regarding a posting i made - which has put me off posting any further comments on this forum. :talking: :wonder: xxx

Please don't stop posting your comments, everyhting that you have ever posted has been your honest opinion, this section like every section of this forum has good and bad comments.

Latest posts

Back