A Question

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Klosblue

Costs nothing to be nice!
Let's face it, we all have our favourite presenters and our 'not so favourite' ones (especially me and PPC :giggle::giggle:)

However, does the presenter really make any difference to whether you buy something or not? Do you buy something because the presenter says it's rare, it's a great price, Cheryl Cole wears one, it's cheaper than anywhere else, it's high fashion etc etc ? Or, like me, do you buy something because you like it and what the presenter says makes absolutely no difference whatsoever? There's nothing at all that any presenter could say to make me buy something (that applies to buying anything not just jewellery), if I like something and can afford it then I'll buy it. If I don't like something then even if the presenter said it was the bargain of the century I wouldn't never buy it.

The only difference a presenter makes to me is that if I don't like them I don't watch so there's no chance of me buying from them. I never watch Chloe Cole or Screaching Stacey. However if it's a presenter I like then I will watch and the chances are that I will buy. The hard sell sales patter is a massive turn off to me. I much prefer the style of the master JS, wee Jim, Derek, Elisa, who you can enjoy watching.

So, what about you? Do you buy or are you sold to?

Let's face it, we all have our favourite presenters and our 'not so favourite' ones (especially me and PPC :giggle::giggle:)

However, does the presenter really make any difference to whether you buy something or not? Do you buy something because the presenter says it's rare, it's a great price, Cheryl Cole wears one, it's cheaper than anywhere else, it's high fashion etc etc ? Or, like me, do you buy something because you like it and what the presenter says makes absolutely no difference whatsoever? There's nothing at all that any presenter could say to make me buy something (that applies to buying anything not just jewellery), if I like something and can afford it then I'll buy it. If I don't like something then even if the presenter said it was the bargain of the century I wouldn't never buy it.

The only difference a presenter makes to me is that if I don't like them I don't watch so there's no chance of me buying from them. I never watch Chloe Cole or Screaching Stacey. However if it's a presenter I like then I will watch and the chances are that I will buy. The hard sell sales patter is a massive turn off to me. I much prefer the style of the master JS, wee Jim, Derek, Elisa, who you can enjoy watching.

So, what about you? Do you buy or are you sold to?
You have summed up exactly how I feel Klos. The only thing I will add is that I rarely watch Ian either because of his ridiculous shouting...NO WAAAAAYYYYYYY!! and THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GONNA GO!! and YOU'RE KIDDING ME!! when he sees the price plunge, yeah right, like he doesn't know already. :rolleyes: Ooh, and I like watching Liz.......
runaway.gif

I buy because I love the item. Like you and PPC I don't watch certain presenters either but will log on the web site so don't miss a bargain if I have an order going. Would hate to miss out on bling :wink:

I buy what I like and NOT what the presenters tell me I should like! So I don't care who the presenter is, if I like it, I buy it!

Having said that, as you have also mentioned, if I turn over and Screaching Stacey is on, or some of the others, I turn over immediately. I don't watch, even with the sound down. I can't bear their presenting and so don't want to be tortured! They could be selling the nicest product ever but I wouldn't be watching!

So I guess to sum up, the presenters never make me buy anything but some of them certainly stop me from buying!

So far none of the TJC presenters has bothered me sufficiently for it to make me switch off, but I often run it in silence on the computer and watch "ordinary" telly. this way, who's presenting is irrelevant. However, like most of you I will actually watch JS. My only pet hate at the moment is in line with PPC and I hate to hear "you're joking me" (huh?), and the crab hand (creepy!). Taken overall, this team of presenters are much easier to run on low volume than many other channels, as there's a lot less hard sell shoutyness. As regards can they make me buy - no - but pressure can make me not buy, because it puts me in the wrong mood and I'll simply turn off. xxxxx

No pressure......

Are we just talking about TJC presenters......if so I tend to watch only the ones with a calmer laid back chatty style of delivery. Can't be doing with a pressured and excitable sales pitch!

I do recall buying from Jim B, but some pieces have come from their website......so no presenters' influences there.
I like to have time to choose and consider and not be rushed into a purchase just cos someone's put a :clock: on it!
Or told me that I have only another ten years in which to buy a certain gemstone....:tongue:

I would never buy anything because a supposed Celeb. has one - in fact, it's more likely to put me off :grin: Like the rest of you, a presenter doesn't influence me to buy either, if I like/want something I buy, if I don't, I don't!

I only buy what i like, not because its "fashionable, on-trend, or because some so called celeb" is wearing it.

I think everyone only buys items that they like, that said, sometimes you don't know that you like something until you see it in a different light. I don't think it hurts to have it pointed out that it is similar to something we have seen on a celeb as how better to know what it will look like 'on'

For instance, you may see a certain dress or shoes on somebody and then want to enquire as to where they got it, it may not have had the same impact on the hanger or shelf but 'on' was a different story. I often check out websites that show you the item firstly on a hanger and then on a model, usually it looks nothing like you expected.

I think it is the same with jewellery, and to ensure you don't end up with a wardrobe full of items that are basically all the same it is good to try and draw the viewer to something they maybe wouldn't normally go for.

As for the presenters, well, there isn't anyone that makes me want to throw the remote through the screen when they are on but I turn over when its Liz Fuller :devil:

I buy what I like but on the few occasions I've been in two minds, Vicky Brown, Ruth and Chloe have managed to sway me. I like Chloe, actually, because she's professional, intelligent and direct. Ruth is a softer version and very capable of selling me something I like. Vicky Brown's watchable but her cleavage is too distracting... she did sell me a lovely pair of pink sapphire earrings though lol

I like Chloe, actually, because she's professional, intelligent and direct.
Uhm intelligent, I don't think so. :thinking: She has perfected a knack of stringing a load of intelligent sounding words together but unfortunately they often don't make any sense, e.g. this morning she came out with "giving that lovely big optical look".....what???? :doh: She uses 'optically' a lot which is not a word used in normal speech i.e. it would be 'visually', but she tries so hard to sound posh and authoratative she slings it in as many sentences as she can and it just sounds ridiculous, imvho of course. As for professional, again I don't think so because when she was on her previous stint at TJC she actually retaliated on air to some criticism of her on this forum and imo that is the height of unprofessionanlism and showed she has a very inflated opinion of herself.

I buy what I like but on the few occasions I've been in two minds, Vicky Brown, Ruth and Chloe have managed to sway me. I like Chloe, actually, because she's professional, intelligent and direct. Ruth is a softer version and very capable of selling me something I like. Vicky Brown's watchable but her cleavage is too distracting... she did sell me a lovely pair of pink sapphire earrings though lol

I do agree, I like Chloe too. :wave:

They are only human, if I was getting as much flack as she does from a few people on the forum I would probably burst and say something in my defense as well.:muscle: I really hope she doesn't read here anymore as it can't be pleasant for her.

If we are talking about presenters across the jewellery shopping telly selly channels - i have to admit, there is not one presenter, i dislike on either Rocks Tv or TJC !! I like them all! but as for gemstv, i watch on the really one off odd occassion - i like Fi and Liv, lynn and Scott, Nick is bearable - but Adina (or James Russell! and his space diamonds speech from some time ago!) - please do not get me started - as i stated in postings earlier - when she starts off on one of her mega waffleations - she does sooooo remind me of Denis Norden - its the way she stops, starts, pauses and corrects herself - i am sorry, but its the way she talks, that makes her, for me, unbearable to watch! :sleepy:

any way, nowadays, i have learned to watch programmes with the volume on mute - just turning the sound up, when i see something i like - and that way, i avoid having to launch something at the tv screen, if presenter is a) screaching b) waffling c) mumbling - its sooo much better, wonder why i never thought of it years ago lol :clapping::giggle:

Last edited:
Uhm intelligent, I don't think so. :thinking: She has perfected a knack of stringing a load of intelligent sounding words together but unfortunately they often don't make any sense, e.g. this morning she came out with "giving that lovely big optical look".....what???? :doh: She uses 'optically' a lot which is not a word used in normal speech i.e. it would be 'visually', but she tries so hard to sound posh and authoratative she slings it in as many sentences as she can and it just sounds ridiculous, imvho of course. As for professional, again I don't think so because when she was on her previous stint at TJC she actually retaliated on air to some criticism of her on this forum and imo that is the height of unprofessionanlism and showed she has a very inflated opinion of herself.

How 'intelligent' is "Degsy Wegsy", "Tickety Tock", "Trysi Onsi", "Pricetastic" etc etc?? I agree totally with you PPC, she tries to sound intelligent but unfortunately her command of the Queen's English is sadly lacking. You'd think she was on CBBC the way she speaks most of the time!

I do agree, I like Chloe too. :wave:

They are only human, if I was getting as much flack as she does from a few people on the forum I would probably burst and say something in my defense as well.:muscle: I really hope she doesn't read here anymore as it can't be pleasant for her.

Oh what a shame, poor Chloe! If she can't take criticism then she's in the wrong job! Everyone who works in front of an audience, be it a singer, actor, presenter, etc. have to accept that criticism/feedback comes with the territory. If she can't stand the heat then she should get out of the kitchen! She's not a child, she's a woman in her 50's (I would guess) so she's old enough to know better!

How 'intelligent' is "Degsy Wegsy", "Tickety Tock", "Trysi Onsi", "Pricetastic" etc etc?? I agree totally with you PPC, she tries to sound intelligent but unfortunately her command of the Queen's English is sadly lacking. You'd think she was on CBBC the way she speaks most of the time!

She's not a child, she's a woman in her 50's (I would guess) so she's old enough to know better!
Quite. The expression act your age and not your shoe size comes to mind. :rolleyes:

Oh what a shame, poor Chloe! If she can't take criticism then she's in the wrong job! Everyone who works in front of an audience, be it a singer, actor, presenter, etc. have to accept that criticism/feedback comes with the territory. If she can't stand the heat then she should get out of the kitchen! She's not a child, she's a woman in her 50's (I would guess) so she's old enough to know better!

Are there more than two Chloe's at TJC? Chloe whom says lets start the tickety tock - is 50? all i can say is, she looks damn good if she is 50! She doesnt look over the wrong side
of 40 imoho! I only wish look half as good as she does when i hit the big 50.

Maybe she is in her 40's I have no idea! I just thought she looked around 50 but maybe I'm totally wrong. She's been around for ages on loads of different channels and having seen some pictures of her through the years I would guess that she has to be in her 50's.

Latest posts

Back